Landing Nets - which is currently best?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
My Fox is looking tired these days, the threads of connector are wearing out, so I was thinking (wished I wouldn't!) of investing in a new pike net. So, it has to be coated to stop hooks penetrating, it has to be big enough min. 30" (bigger if triangular), and it has to be fairly lightweight for portability, chances I use it for lure fishing.

Any suggestions, anyone?

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Should add, been reading this review and it looks promising? Any further views on it?

And now I've found this -

Korum 42" Landing Net - YouTube

Come one, cough up Graham, what's it like?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Got it Graham. I just wonder if what's on there system now is the same net as the new one seems to only have a one piece handle.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi jeff,
have a look at the spro big fish net on harris sports mail web site. I have one and it is a superb net for the money, very, very light, rubber mesh and a handle that slides down like a salmon gye net, all for £30.00!

hope that helps mate

mark

keora

Reaction score
I've tried 36 inch landing nets and found that they are cumbersome on the bank, and the effective netting area for scooping out big pike is smaller than you would expect. The 42 inch versions are even worse, they get caught up in bankside vegetation. My last one broke after just a few months. I've just looked at the ad and film for the 42 inch net. To me it looks far too big for an active lure fishing session. This size is better used for static fishing will fairly clear banks, in my view.

I would try a 30 inch circular net, or even better, this 32 inch length pike net from wychwood:

Wychwood Pike Net - All Landing Nets - Landing Nets - Predator

It's got a solid aluminium frame painted black, shaped like a slightly squashed capital D. Unlike triangular nets with a spreader block and a bow cord, it can't be dismantled. This doesn't matter, as the shape of the net means it can fit flat in the boot of a supermini size car, such as a Fiesta.

The net comes with a soft micro mesh, which I recently changed to a 1 inch mesh from Dave Lumb tackle.

Harris Sportsmail used to sell a special lure fishing net, with a hole size of about 2.5 inches and made of a very thick woven nylon. It's true that lures and hooks didn't get caught up, but the holes were so large that fins used to part protrude through the mesh and then get cut.I don't think they sell it any more.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I had seen that and the one by Savage here -
17542.jpg

I've put both in my wish list to look at later.

And thanks for the warning on the triangular net Keith, I know they can be a bit cumbersome and certainly not the ideal for a lure session. The Wychwood does look promising, but it's not rubberised. I wonder if someone shoudl tell them!!! ;)

Looks like the batttle is between the Spro and the Savage, but I just wonder how you'd cope with the short handle, or does it matter? Pity you can't take that one off and attach a full length one, but I suppose I want my cake and eat it now.

The search continues, but thanks guys.

BTW, I see this is a nice big net - 33inches from McLean
16918.jpg

at £99.99, but with a built in scale! I think I'll leave it for now before the papers for a divorce arrive.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi jeff,
A mate of mine bought the mclean net with the scale, it is a good net but just a little over priced and a bit gimmicky!!!
don't worry about the short handle on the spro, it just makes it a bit more portable and the mesh will never get caught in the undergrowth!

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I can also vouch for the Spro net - so nice not to have to cut up trebles to gte them out of the mesh.:)

mscustomlures

Reaction score
Another vote for the spro, I use a bungee cord and throw it on my back while I'm out wandering the banks with lures