making your own spoons

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I've found an old box of spoons my Dad used to use when gardening, he used them for repotting small plants and seedlings, some are t spoons others are tablespoons and various other sizes.

Just for a laugh I thought I'd try and make my own spoons - I'm going to cut the hanldes off, drill a hole in each end and put split rings in then a treble in one end. Some of the spoons I thought I'd flatten with a lumps hammer 1st to give a different action.

Anyone know how to paint or polish them for better attraction?

Tally Ho

P

paul williams 2

All we used to do was just as you say with the addition of red wool to the rear....caught us plenty of big fish.

Get one of the maids to buff em up with the silver polish!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Paul old chum - never tried it myself - being rich I buy mine - but I'd heard that it works and well if I save a few bob then I might hire another understairs maid - what ho -

I've put red wool on my spinners before - any idea of a paint to use?

Tally Ho

B

Budgie Burgess

Car spray can paints are what I use for my lure making.Can often get them real cheap at Boot sales as well.

Dont use wool it holds water and rots the hook.Get some red manmade water reppelent fibre/"wool"/etc from a fly tying suppliers instead.

T

The Monk

Yes we used to make our own in the old days MeLud, he you can get hold of a copy of the How to catch them Series Edited by Bernard venables, you will find the edition "Spoons Spinners and Plugs" (1960) by Vernon Bates an excellent guide to home made spoons

W

Wolfman Woody

I use Plasti-kote paints from DIY stores on my spoon and spinners when I want to change them. Seems to work ok, but not bothered if they wear off after a while, I can always do them again.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thanks chaps

Tally Ho

- Jenkins gte the drill out and some paint brushes

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

give them a good buffing up with steel wool before spraying,it`ll help the paint stay on longer.
plasticote is good stuff,you can also buy glitter spray varnish to add a bit extra flash.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
oooooooo pete you must tell me where you get your glitter spray varnish from :0P what happened to good old brasso and a bit of elbow grease?

P

Phil Heaton

Good luck with the drilling if they are stainless steel, it may be cheaper to buy new than burn out drill bits.
Mind you your Lordship they will most likley to be of the silver variety, in which case I would recommend taking them from your mouth prior to drilling.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I have to agree with Phil. I'm an avid spoon/spinner/lure maker and I've done the cutlery bit to death. It all sounds good in theory and I'm sure in days gone by, it was probably worthwhile but in this day and age, you can save yourself a lot of effort buying the parts.
I'd contact Nick Green for a catalogue if I was you. The stuff he can supply will keep your mind occupied for months and you'll be able to knock up all the spoons, spinners, spinnerbaits and lures you heart desires.
His prices are very reasonable too.

01926-856-315
E-mail: diylures-flies@ fsmail.net

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been making my own plugs, spoons and spinners for several years now. The best supplier I've found is in the US : http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

There's a mind boggling range of lure components, many of which are simply not available in this country. You can order over the net and with ?:$ exchange rate at the moment it makes sense - even after you've paid shipping and VAT I still reckon it's a lot cheaper than sourcing in the UK. Stuff usually takes 2 - 3 weeks to deliver.

Sorry to all the UK suppliers out there - just speaking as I find.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Dear Sir , can we av the spun's as we avent any it would be so nice to av sume spun's to eat hour diner wiv.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
spiders, that's gobble-degook. Any chance you could post in plain english?

C

Chris Bishop

Second Nick Green, caught loads on the copper blanks he sells, they're laquered as well.