Gord Burton Banned

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that we may differ and yes, agree to differ on a few moot points but I am at war with no one mate.

T

The Monk

Naw, me neither (well apart from the mother in law), welcome all the same mate, you put forward a good debate, one of many I hope, we have some good lads on site and you will soon get used to us all,

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Is that it then for the time being, from the womens institute?

T

The Monk

yep! just about Baz, thank God for the womens institute eh mate

john blundell

Reaction score
he's never been in the club but always fished it. It's not really a point that can have much debating over!!!

He has persistently broken the rules and they have taken steps to stop him fishing there without paying like everyone else has to.

Bongo

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
John blundell

I presume you mean Mr Burton?

I have heard similar off more than one unrelated person and that's exactly why I was interested in the original allegation of poaching/ban issue. Say, can you expand on it though with any real proof please?

john blundell

Reaction score
proof as in him openly saying to me while fishing that he's not a member, and a good friend of mine who regularly fishes with him, along with myself have had many a conversation about this very topic. It's no big secret with gord that he's not a member!

Matty C

Reaction score
what I found interesting is that in GB's reply comment, posted earlier, he says something along the lines of "they've never caught me poaching", which in my eyes could suggest that he has been poaching, theyve just not caught him doing it..

its a bit like calling someone a murderer, and the defendant saying, well theyve never Caught me murdering anyone, so you cant call me it. Unless of course you have proof of such an offence, GB will probably fair ok.

Having said all this, it surprises me that this club would publish all this if they dont have proof.. why not just kick him out n keep it quiet.. As far as Im aware, a club doesnt need a reason to kick someone out. Or say he's out on suspision of poaching. Surely that covers all bases. If he has been poaching, he's banned. and if he hasnt, well tough luck really.

As said before, GB's statement suggests to me that he may have have a word with his solicitor, who has asked him, have you been poaching, GB may have said yes, in which case he was told to write, "theyve never caught me poaching" Caught being the operative word.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Which could also mean that he never has poached.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
If he's not a member, how can they "kick him out"?

If he's never been convicted of poaching, he's not a poacher.

He might have been fishing without permission but that's not poaching.

Local Southport News

The letter printed in the above link certainly seems to call Gord Burton "a persistent poacher". Also, by implication, possibly linking that to a "criminal offence of attempted theft".

It also attempts to protect the author by stating "without prejudice".

I hope they are taking some serious legal advice!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've read the news report and all the posts that follow in Neil's link above and I don't think there is much doubt that there is a hidden agenda behind Gord Burton's, Paul Cobb's and Ron Anderson's treatment by the SDAA. Regardless of the truth behind the allegations the handling of this issue by the SDAA leaves a lot to be desired.

Gord is right to treat it with the contempt it deserves.

T

The Monk

Yes well said Graham, its obviously a witch hunt, anyone who knows Gord will tell you that, if anything it puts the Southport club in a bad light, it appears they have been naughty boys.

I was at the AGM, and I can confirm that whilst the committee may wish to ban Gord Burton and Paul Cobb for life, no vote was taken. This is factually incorrect. This ban is not in place with the support of the membership

interesting!

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
"As said before, GB's statement suggests to me that he may have have a word with his solicitor, who has asked him, have you been poaching, GB may have said yes, in which case he was told to write, "theyve never caught me poaching" Caught being the operative word."

That is a very good point Matty and makes good sense. GB's comment is quite carefully phrased and fits in well with what you state legally. So does the way in which he is seeking to deflate the issue via using humour to perhaps lessen the impact of the issue. Naturally he would perhaps have plenty to loose maybe fincially or whatever due to sponsership deals from various firms, dvds, rods carrying his name, etc so he would need to be very careful about all this lot now.

And can someone please define properly what is the differance between fishing without permission and poaching for this is a grey area for some? If one fishes without permission surely one is poaching that water - if not so then whaever do we call someone who does? If I find some one who is fishing on my waters (places where it costs me dosh to fish)and they are not a member/ticket holder then they are classed as a poacher by everyone within the club etc. Many other clubs and waters also refer to these sorts as poachers because they want to fish for free WITHOUT paying like the rest of us have to. They expect to have a free go whilst we pay plenty for their pleasure and have no regard for us whatsoever!Thanks! I don't think that making light of this serious issue does any of us any good either.

Interesting too that Paul Cobb (Rottweiler) who was banned by the SDAA is upset also because he claims to have been banned on that forum for asking a question.

Seems that emotions may be getting in the way of fair play and truth in this issue now. Also seems that GB is either loved or loathed on this thread which is not what it should be about. The truth of the matter is what is most important.

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
"Yes well said Graham, its obviously a witch hunt, anyone who knows Gord will tell you that"

Not so. I and others have been told quite the reverse so your opinion is only an opinion and nothing more I'm afraid.

T

The Monk

I think the truth is pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense, it doesnt take a great deal of insight to recognise what has happened here. I have two DVD with Gordon fishing on Southport waters, hardly the action of a poacher p[roducing DVDs now is it? Don`t you think a committee member may have seen one of the DVDs and said; hey look a poacher? Their is a lot more to this than meets the eye

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Malford, you are certainly coming across as someone who 'has it in' for Gord Burton rather than someone who wants to see the full picture.

What you've failed to mention (so I'll rectify that right now) is that Gord also states, quite categorically, quote: "I have never been poaching."

Considering that we know nothing about what really lies behind this controversy - other than what both sides are saying - it is probably best now to let SDAA and Gord Burton sort this out between themselves.

T

The Monk

Not so. I and others have been told quite the reverse so your opinion is only an opinion and nothing more I'm afraid.

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
"I have two DVD with Gordon fishing on Southport waters,"

When were they made/produced on exactly? The actual date is important.

THE MONK

No problems at all with me mate. Me I just want to know what's really happening herein and NO Graham Marsden, I have it in for no one - if GB is innocent then I wish him luck in all this and would ask SDAA to 'apologise' fully so please do get your facts correct before jumping on the bandwagon ok.