Gord Burton Banned

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
I was surprised to hear that a Southort angling Club has banned the famous Piker Gordon Burton for life from fishing their waters.

Anyone else heard more on this issue?

T

The Monk

Thats terrible for Gordon, I`d be surprised if hes actually done anything wrong though!

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I thought though the club sec in question has named him as a persistant "poacher" in writing on a local Southport news site. If he's not guilty then he must have a case against this club.

T

The Monk

Hope things work out for him, nice bloke Gordon very respectful, some clubs can be a bit dodgy to say the least

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A bit like Lady Isobel Barnet isn't it, when she got caught shop lifting she was proclaimed as being ill.

Poor old Maggie Twaddles gets caught shop lifting and she is automatically a thief.

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
I think that the oddest thing is that the sec of the club has clearly libelled Burton in writing yet he's not, so far as I can see, challenged him - he's just made light of it. Wow - if anyone called me a knock off like that publicly (poaching being the theft of fish etc)then I'd have pleasure taking them to the bleedin cleaners if they had no evidence.

T

The Monk

It depends on the circumstances, I was once given written permission to fish a pool and the owner turned up and said I shouldnt have been given permission, so technically I was poaching, it all depends on the circumstances.

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
Perhaps but to actually allege that someone is a poacher in writing is clealy libel without proof - yes? The sec who wrote that must be thick and totally naive of UK law if he's got no evidence against Burton. The situation you describe is somewhat differant for that didn't involve you being libelled (i.e. the written word defaming you) did it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've known dear old Gord for many years. I cannot imagine an angler of his profile knowingly poaching.

As far as I am concerned he is one of angling's true gentlemen.

It reminds me of an acquaintance I had who was accused of shoplifting years ago.

By some strange quirk of fate, a bar of soap was not checked out at the till. A supermarket detective stopped him and asked to check the contents of his bag. The bar of soap was not listed on the payment slip so he was arrested and spent 2 months in jail.

A totally innocent person.

However he was able through the courts to take the SA government to task and won R500,000 damages!

Morespiders

Reaction score
No smoke without fire, anglers profiles mean nothing, Nige Williams was innocent wasn't he.Must have some evidence to ban him for life surely.

E

EC

Reminds me of an incident I once had in a market stall. I picked up a bottle of detergent, and tried to hand the money to the stall owner. He then tried to take the bottle back to bag it for me, I said 'No its ok' and kept hold, the money was in my other hand, still outstretched.

A bit of a daft 'tug of war' ensued with the bottle, when a policeman arrived, the lid came loose and the detergent splashed over him.

I was subsequently charged!

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
The main point is that Burton was/is accussed of illegal activity by a club and does not seem to be taking steps to properly address the issue - why?

Wouldn't any one else?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Was he poaching or simply fishing illegally? i.e. without the owners permission.

T

The Monk

I think before we jump to conclusions and making accusations we should see what happens Gordon may already be dealing with it. Then again is it Gordon Burton the Pike Angler, i seem to remember a similar case with someone else a number of years ago were somebody involved in illegal activity had the same name as a famous angler?

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
Poaching is fishing illegally.

It seemed that he was called a ?persistent poacher? in a letter from the sec of the angling club to a local tackle shop. A news site later printed this letter and spread the story. And there was mention of criminal offences and attempted theft. If the club aint got evidence they would be absolutely flaming wacko to state this without proof as anyone must agree. Apparently the club also told a local tackle shop dealer, after a ?unanimous? committee decision no less, that their shop was not permitted to sell tickets anymore for their waters because he had printed pics of Burton in the newspapers. Burton says he?s been framed by a kangaroo court yet as far as I know he?s not legally challenged the serious claims made against him. Make of it what you will!

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
"Then again is it Gordon Burton the Pike Angler"

Yes it is!

And yes again - he's dealing with it by making fun about it which may seem like a good idea to some yet this could have very serious ramificatiosn for him in future. Lifetime bans on famous anglers are really no joke at all either way.

E

EC

Can I ask why you are so concerned Mal?

Welcome to the site by the way!

Great first post, certainly beats a 'How do I make boilies?' type thread!

MALFORD ROA

Reaction score
Sorry yes, I stumbled across the news on a website and thought that I would just see if anyone knew more than the news article in question. I just want to know the facts as an angler me self !