Figure 8

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Yanks write a lot about this famous figure 8. I read somewhere that over 30% of all muskie strikes occur when performing it.UNfortunately, there is little information what this technique actually looks like. Have any of you,guys,tried it for pike?

P

Peter Waller

Yes, & believe me it really works. Ask the legendary Lord of Lure Fishing, the Right Honourable Gord Burton & he will tell you it is a load of old cobblers, it doesn't work. Perhaps it doesn't in the cold North of England, but here in the temparate regions of middle England it works a treat. What works even better is the 'circle' retrieve. This is my own invention, believe that & you'll believe anything! But seriously, the truth is that the 'circle' retrive outfishes the 'figure of eight' every time, but you do need a short boat & a revolving seat to be able to do it.

G

Gerry Castles

Is this the famous 'confidence circle retrieve' I've heard so much about.

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Peter, would you please describe what exactly this circle retrieve is. And does it work with a special array of lures, or it can be performed with just about any lure?

P

Peter Waller

Hi Krazy, before I go any further, ask Charlie Bettell about the 'figure of eight' retrive. It was Charlie who popularised it in the UK some years ago.

The 'circle retrive' is just that! When a pike follows a lure, but doesn't take by the time the lure reaches the boat side, you have three options. One, miss the fish & lift the lure out of the water; two, do the figure of eight; or three, the Circle Retrive Technique. Quite simply, sat on your revolving seat, you hold the rod out over the side of the boat and 'circle' the boat with the lure. The boat needs to be short enough & the rod long enough to be able reach over both back & front of the boat as you swivel round. It works with whatever lure you happen to be fishing with. It quite simply extends the time that the lure is in front of a following pike. A very confident, logical technique that really works.

P

Peter Waller

And NO Gerry, this is NOT a wind up! Its quite genuine. Back to the size of Nev's tackle, you rascal you!