Walleye - Are They Still There?

T

The Monk

Pike Perch
Stizostedion lucioperca

Pike perch prefer cloudy and deep waters, and they are not comfortable in small lakes. The oxygen need of Pike perch is fairly large and they prefer warm water; for that reason they are not found in northern Finland. As fry, pike perch feed on plankton; as adults they are predators. Pike perch begin a fish diet when they have attained a length of 5-15 cm. The spawning season is May-June. Nets and fishing rod equipment, primarily lures, are generally used to catch pike perch.

T

The Monk

also found this

Pikeperch Walleye ? 11lb 12oz (5.329 kilo?s)
1934 F Adams, The Delph, Welney, Norfolk

Pikeperch Zander ? 19lb 5oz (8.774 kilo?s)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'm not going to argue with you mate, other than to say that the term: "Pike-perch", gives the impression that either walleye or zander are hybrids between pike and perch, which we know they are not.

T

The Monk

Argue, argue haha, my understanding is that term was originally used to describe both zander and walleye, yes the America Pike-perch has a different latin name? certainly not hybreds of course

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And the common name is walleye, and the scientific name is Stizostedion vitreum.

Coxy

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, opposite the main entrance to Lakenheath Air Base on the the A1065 between Mildenhall & Branden, there is a sign saying something like "shooting & Anling Club" which would be to the East of the Air base.

I lived close to the Air Base houses in Studland Park in Newmarket for severel years & as you can imagine had a lot of contact with the American personel.
We even shared the same social club.
I have enquired in the past about gaining access to the Angling Club & the awnser was "not a hope in hell" even though Air Base personel can invite civilians to Air Base party's & access to the bowling ally.

From what i can gather i believe they do have bass fishing within the private area of the ground controled by the base, luckily i think it's on the opposite side of the Base to the Cut off Channel so there would be little chance of these Bass entering the system.

I reckon you have more chance of accessing area 51 than you have Lakenheath Angling Club!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thank you very much Coxy for an update on this mystery. So Lakenheath it is, and it's not all that from Mildenhall.

The stories I have recieved from various people have also mentioned Lakenheath but for some strange reason I have harped on Mildenhall.

I was told that the bass fishing was only open to commissioned and warrant officer ranks in the USAF and that the lake/lakes are heavily guarded.

Some time in the early 60s, Tag Barnes told me of a tale where he found this lake near to a USAF base in Norfolk and had attempted to fish it - well he was a bit of a poacher in those days. However he was turfed off by a captain and two sergeants. He even produced his old Green Beret commando ID but it didn't make any difference.

I wonder just how legal it is to have those bass stocked in a British lake. As I have mentioned, small mouth bass are extremely aggressive predators and would cause quite a few problems if they got let loose in the fens.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Eureka - I do believe I have found the lake.

At the south west end of the main runway at Lakenheath is a small lake formed by damming a tiny stream. Above this there is what looks like a shooting range. Below this is a complex which includes a baseball diamond, athletics track and an American football field!

Location details:

52deg 23' 50.18" N
0,32' 34.94" E

The whole area looks to be behind security fences.

Is this the lake were the smallmouth black bass are living?

Coxy

Reaction score
Thats within half mile of the cut off Channel Ron & connected by the look of it.

Have a look approx 3.5 miles East South East of the main runway toward Elvsden, it looks like a much larger complex & ties in with where the sign posts are.

This araea is very simular to Thetford Forest with small vehicle accessable droves between the pine trees.

Just a guess so i could be way off track.

B

Budgie Burgess

For what its worth (if anything at all that is!!)Heres my understanding of the names/classification of the Zander like species.

As far as I can remember there are four very similar species, our Zander (Stizstedion lucioperca), the Zingel (can?t remember the Latin name but they are found, although quite rare in Eastern Europe. I?ve caught a small on in Czechoslovakia), and the US?s Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum vitreum I seem to remember this name has been changed recently but cant remember what too or why! Sander something or other!) and Sauger (Sander candensis). All four have that piece of skin that covers their eyes (the tapetum lucidum I think) which gives their eyes that pearlescent ?dead? look and if I remember correctly aids the night/coloured water vision.

I cant remember the exact sizes but think I?m right in saying Zingel are the smallest at up to a pound or so maximum, next are Sauger at up to 5 or 6lb, walleye up to 17-18lb (but very rarely. They seem to average around 4lb) and then our Zander which are touching it here but often exceed 20lb on the Continent.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ron,very interesting about the supposed UK "Walleye" comming from a Dutch fish farm.
Certainly answers one of the doubts about the true id of the fish.

C

Chris Bishop

Think the walleye were genuinely stocked, zander were put in the Relief Channel at a time when it was full of fish and there was plenty of food for them.

The Delph is an odd river with a gravity sluice at the end connecting straight to the tidal Ouse at Welmore, so it really rips through when they're running it off.

It's also designed to flood onto the Washes, so not the most favourable of environments.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I think the date of 1934 throws a bit of light on things. Well before the stocking of Zander and probably before USAF [RAF] bases in the UK.

The Bass story is probably just a myth. I heard this story years ago as a kid. I'm not even sure the Rod and Gun club at Lakenheath or Mildenhall si still in existence? I'll give the airbases a call when I get back from Ireland to find out.

Colin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Myth or not, it would be great to find out the truth.

And this "myth" has being going on since I was a lad! Somewhere in the grey cells I seem to remember an article written by none other that Bernard Venables on the mysterious Bass of either Mildenhall or Lakenheath.

C

Chris Bishop

I think it's an urban myth but the walleye is genuine.

The American bases came in the early 1940s after Pearl Harbour, when Uncle Sam entered the war.

D

David Marrs

Im up at STANTA training area to see a man about a dog on Monday, its a great big massive area near Thetford and has a cracking big lake sized section of the Wissey running right through the middle of it. I wonder if there are Zeds present there........

B

Budgie Burgess

During my last few years in the Army I spent a lot of time using the STANTA training grounds.Did plenty of fishing on the lakes and rivers and didnt come across any Zeds then (up to 1988).

D

David Marrs

Cheers Budgie, as it happened we didn't get up there til late evening and all the range staff were away. I just wondered, as there is a largish dammed section of what looks like the Wissey right in the middle of it mate.