Catfish queries

shynes123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There is a great little fishery fairly local to me that i frequently go to for my carp fishing which consists of a very small top lake which contains at least one 20Ib+ Cat and a larger bottom lake that contains several going up to about 40Ib, and i have decided to have a go at catching one this summer. I have never fished for catfish before, so i am going to try the 20 pounder in the small top lake first, and i was wondering if i could have any tips to get started. Also is my current carp gear up for the job? I have two 2.75Ib test curve Fox Warrior XT rods and two Fox Stratos. Will 18Ib mono be enough?

Thanks in advance,
Sonny.

john blundell

Reaction score
Hi mate, i'm no expert, as i have caught only one catfish in my life! BUT, i have done an awful lot of reading before i went to make sure i went witht he best chance possible.

The fish Happened to be the lake record of 49lb!

This is quite a valid point, in that you don't really fish for big fish, you just fish for fish. (i know some do target big fish with bait size etc but you get the point) They aren't going to bite your arm off when you land them, they are very calm on the bank.

Catfish are much much much less finniky than carp. They are thought to have a sense of smell second only to the eel, and as predators, they are opportunist feeders. If i were in your position i'd fish the lake with the most cats in to maximise your chances, and then you might also bag a bigger fish! They play similar to carp rather than say pike, going off the one i landed and the 4 that my fishing partner had over our 48 hours. By that i mean they slower powerful pulls. That is were the similarity seems to end though as the power is ridiculous! 18lb will be fine. (I landed my 49lb on 12lb mainline with 2.75 test, as it was my first trip although i now have 18lb)

Obviously Halibut Pellets are known as a good bait, which i had mine on 2x21mm soaked for 2 weeks in Sensus Sardine & Herring sauce, cast out with a mixed bag of Halibut and high oil trout pellets, on a hair to size 1 Catfish Pro Eaglewave hook on 35lb cated Quicksilver 12" hooklength with a running lead. My cousin had his 4 all on popped up Makarel sections on the same rigs, the section was cut as long as the fish was high to create almost a cube 3"x3".

Squid, Liver, all sorts can be used as a good bait i suppose, with loads of different rigs.

My 49lb had eyes the same size as a roach! Their eyesight is crap, and so you don't need to be too tidy ike carp. I'm going for 48hours next week and 72hours at the start of June. Liek i said i am no expert, with only one cat under my belt, but i have a lot of info in my head that i can't wait to try out!! Thats my experience so far with them. I'll be honest, i have lost 99% of my interest in carp after landing that one. There is nothing like it! Also, don't move every hour or so like you might for pike. The Cats will follow the scent trails and if you keep moving the bait you'll just have lots of spots of scent all over the place. My cousin had a 41lb with popped up makarel after it being in the same spot for just under 36 hours.

The good thing about fish is you know it's on. The Halibut pellets don't forget will break down so you can't leave them in the water for too long. And don't listen to people when they say they don't feed in the day! 3 of our 5 were in the daytime. 9am, 1pm, and 5pm. Maybe some places are only catching at night, but you never know!

Hope some of this helps mate, good luck!

Oh yeah, take "photo clothes". Land the fish, then put your photo clothes on to handle it and get the shots! They are soooo slimy! And when you get it to the net, get its head over the net then give it some line. It will then dive straight to the bottom, into your net, making it much easier to get it in. I struggled for 10 minutes on my own trying to net mine, not knowing this! My cousin was landing it when his reel screamed off, so i was left alone!
John.

shynes123

Reaction score
Thanks John i really appreciate it. I also heard that in very coloured water catfish come out in the daytime, and this lake is VERY coloured. Do i use a wire trace? I say this because once when me and my mate went night fishing for carp there my mate had a hooklink of 15Ib braid and he hooked a fish and it bit straight through it. I'm guessing it was a catfish as there are no pike in the lake and he said it felt big. Also, can Catfish survive for long periods of time out of the water like eels or do they need to be put back in fairly quickly like carp?

Thanks.

john blundell

Reaction score
Noooooooo never ever use a wire trace for a cat. They have really soft mouths. They won't bite through braid. There teeth are like velcro pads top and bottom. (watch the countless matt hayes catfish talks on any of his million programmes!) However, the braid could well have just snapped if you're sure it wasn't down to a pike, as braid often has a lower breaking strain than stated, once wet.

It's quite possible that the 15lb braid would snap at 10lb, and line that snaps at 10lb could easily be snapped by a 10lb cat if you play it the tiniest bit strong.

No harm going overkill with the hooklink as like i said, they aren't finniky like carp, so 35lb or 45lb braid is perfect. The Quicksilver as it's weave suits abrasion resistance.

They are very hardy and can be left out of the water for a good while. mine was around 10 minutes, although i did keep pouring water over it, but even then i was told that it could have been fine after much longer! I wasn't keen though as it was unneeded. It did swim off very quickly though and powered away, so it was all good.

John.

shynes123

Reaction score
Ok thanks. There are definitely no pike there as the owner of the lakes told me, so it must have just snapped. I'll have to go for a night one weekend soon and have a go. If anybody else has any other tips they are very welcome.

Thanks.

J

Jack Pike BA

What days are you going John as we have booked a couple of nights ourselves for next week ?

john blundell

Reaction score
I'm going to Lakemore on the Horseshoe lake 7pm sunday night until 7pm Tuesday night.

You going to Lakemore??

john blundell

Reaction score
hopefully i'll have pictures to show you!

Be sure to say hello! No idea what you'll look like. I'm the young lad! (24) with another ginger lad who's 30 hehe. Just so you know!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
shynes.....if you venture into the events/fish-ins section of this site,you will notice that we have a catfish shindig up and running for july.
You might want to come along and join in the fun??? if its just info you want,then ask matty who is the main man doing the organising if he can pass on budgies catfish write up for you to study.
Budgie knows his onions when it comes to catfish and his write up is most informative.

L

Les Clark

John ,thanks for your information ,i too am going to the cat fish in in July ,all tips welcome .

john blundell

Reaction score
the minimum allowed is 15lb on the Horseshoe lake. Although i THINK this is a recommendation(??)

I did use 12lb as until my arrival i didn't know this rule, however i have now spooled up 18lb onto my spare spools for when i go for cats.

J

Jack Pike BA

Cheers John looks like I will be busy re spooling over the weekend another visit to John at Catch 22 tomorrow in order I always spend a small fortune there.

john blundell

Reaction score
well i just got back. Jeeeeez it was another good trip!!

Arrived Sunday about 5pm and had a good chat to people. It hadn't been fishing too good lately and the people in the swims we were in last time, and where we were about to fish, had blanked in their 48hour stretch, so it wasn't looking too good!

We set up in the pouring rain and were piss wet through and had wet lines before we had even wet our lines! But sent them into the water and sat in out in our relaxing Fox oval comunal bivi watching the rain come down. ( We take our bivi's, and then a third open front oval just to sit under if it's raining so that we can still be comfy out on the bank in the rain rather than being cramped and split up in our own bivi's!)
9pm and Lee's rod one toned, so he struck and it turned out to be a sweet 28lb 8oz cat. Great start!

Time went by without anything, with an uneventful night and Monday not bringing anything, until 5:30pm in the sun, i was woken from my doze by another one toner. Struck, but then couldn't tighten the drag as i'd been sleeping on my hand which was now number than steven hawkings toes!...Problem sorted and that turned out after a good 20 minutes to be a 39lb cat. Perfect, 1-1.

Again, nothing thruough the night then i was again woken at 9:30am to another one toner! Which felt better immediately, and weighed in at a 46lb 10oz!! More than happy with that i tried a couple of strange rigs i'd been thinking about making. Nothing with those yet, so i resorted to the oldie for the last couple of hours, although that produced no more. I got faith in a strange rig i made thoguh, so next time i'll be trying that! Got a 3 and a 5 day trip coming up in a month or so, so i cna't wait!

Sorry for the essay, but i'm so happy with how i t went! 2 trips, 3 cats, 2 40's and the small one was still 39!! Plus i'm in anglers mail with the lake record catch from last month! Perfect couple of days.

I also met Jack pike (aka Gary) today. Was nice to meet him and his wife, and i got my fingers crossed for him as he went into the swim i was in when i left. Just in time for more rain.

John.

J

Jack Pike BA

It was nice meet John well we didnt fare that well at all had quite a few drop runs during the night just single bleeps and Julie had a screaming run in the morning but yet another drop run. By that time the talkative angler on the peg to our right had packed up and went . Two guys came a little later and took the pegs either side of us to cut a long story short these guys were a minefield of information on catfish fishing . After a wet night in total close to 14 hours of rain one of the chappies was haven a little chat to me his alarm sprung into life after the powerful action I netted his personal best of 45lb for him he was shaking all over and a bigger grin than the moggie .We never caught but really enjoyed the stay and hoping to get back there soon with our new found knowledge .

john blundell

Reaction score
Ah well, fishings a strange old game isn't it!! At least you had a decent time despite everything. Paul, the bailiff with the big holes in his ears was saying about the bloke to your right who wouldn't stop talking. Slightly annoying apparently!! He didn't talk to me once except to find out constantly what bait i used, where i was fishing, how i was presenting the bait, and what rigs i was using. It pissed me off a great deal if i'm honest, as he first came over spouting off all this supposed knowledge he had then came out with the fact hat he'd only ever caught a cat by accident!!! Anyway!!

What bait were you using by the way And where they popped up or on the bottom?

We came up with a theory after dropped runs and differnet kinds of baits and prsentations, that if a fish bait is used, and popped up, we have never had a dropped run, so we think that the cats attack these thinking they are live fish, while we have used 26mm halibut boilies on the bottom and found that we have had dropped runs over and over. It's made us thhink that anything on the bottom, they play with first, hence single beeps, and they know the bait will not swim off. In the same way a pike can play with a bottom dead bait.

John