Pre-season 'Recce'

D

David Marrs

Having been positively itching for the close season to hurry up and end, I popped out on Sunday for a drive around a few of my Fenland haunts to see what was going on. Imagine my shock and horror when I visit two of my remotest and most 'back pocket' swims and on two different rivers, only to find that the EA have built new boat moorings on both swims! Bloody hell, what is the chance of that happening, one of the swims is so remote that I actually found it by looking it up on the map first, I've never seen another angler anywhere near. Looking on the bright side, at least the swims will be flatter and tidier to whack a few rods on but on the down side, it means more people will be around if they are indeed used.

I will certainly have to get off my butt and find some more areas to fish but I have to say, with a decade of history and some useful fish from both, it is a little sad to think that I'll probably not bother with them anymore due to the close proximity to other folks. Yep, I'm a tad nostalgaic perhaps but these are swims I've enjoyed some quality sessions in. What it does make me think though, if I've only really looked at a couple of swims and they've both got new boat moorings on, how many new boat moorings are being built?

One previously lovely area of the lower Ouse has been totally destroyed fairly recently and I can't think why. There used to be a raft of overhanging willows and bramble bushes which gave the bankside a lovely, mature and picturesque look. I tipped up at the back end of last season and the area now resembles 'Hamburger Hill' in Vietnam, post-napaalm attack. Freshly cut stumps where some really lovely trees used to grow and a totally muddy mess of what was previously a really pretty stretch of river. It really, really makes me wonder why...............

A

Andy Doughty

Roswell is a mess. They have dug three foot deep trenches along the side of the EA road swims to lay what I assume are electric and water mains. They have also driven a digger all the way around the bank of the whole Sailing Club pit. There is only about 50 yards that are untouched under the 'cliffs' area of the pits. The only swims that are fishable are on the 'Sailing club boards' and along the 'Loop Line' bit. All the others are off limits because of diggers charging about and also when the cut the trees down they didnt bother taking them all out of the water. Its snag city and unfishable on most of the pit.