Eels and dead maggots

A

Andy Doughty

I am going to do a session after eels next week. I was wondering if dead maggots and lob worms would be any good? I have put a bag of maggots in the freezer, but how long before fishing do you take them out? Or do you use them frozen?

M

MarkTheSpark

I would think dead lobworms would be next to useless, flabby old things.

Maggots only need to be froz to kill them. Defrost as required and use.

My experience of eels is that they will track down anything animal and eat it, including dead things. Dead lobs might deter half the eels you'd catch but it might also deter whatever you are trying to catch.

As a final footnote, it's my experience that, where there are eels (and don't forget they make good pike baits!) there isn't much else. Do float fishing to avoid them, or use 'vegetable' baits

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I don't think he wants to avoid them Mark!

Andy, i have had some terrific bags of largish eel when i have mass baited with dead maggots.......and i know some eelers are using them, but deep hooking is a problem......i was bream fishing to be honest when eels moved in big style......strangly on a water that was thought not to hold so many.

Don't freze lobs....once dead they turn into a mush fast!.....use em alive.

How long to leave mags in the freezer? depends on how big the bag is mate, a central core can stay alive if not left long enough.......go for a 48hr minimum if you can.

Keep the maggots in lake water when you get there.....it will stop them turning brown.

S

sash

Yes, as Paul says defrost in water and leave there otherwise they will turn into manky, black smelly goo!

I've done really well mixing dead maggots with chopped lobs, a bit of groundbait as a carrier (try Amino black) and a liquid attractant and then fishing a couple of lobs over the top.

A

Andy Doughty

Cheers guys, the worms will be well and truely wiggly! The maggots have been in the freezer since Friday and will come out on Wednesday (the maggots will come out, not me!).
I was going to put the maggots in, mass baiting style, in the margins with some chopped up lobs and then fish one rod over them and the other rod will have a roach head or a little live bait on it.
There are alleged to be some big carp and tench in the water, but its the eels that interest me at the moment.
How long will a lob worm last before it dies? Maggots stop wiggling between 30 mins and an hour after getting thrown in the water. Just wondered how often to reel in and re-bait the worm rod, or do reccon I should just leave it?

B

Budgie Burgess

Andy,judging by the amount of 2lb+ eels I had on a recent bream trip whilst fishing worms over dead maggots I would give it a resounding YES!

I was just using a couple of smallish dendrobenas on the hook rather than my ususl (when eeling intentionaly) big lob and had very few missed runs/deep hooked eels....sadly had no bream though!

A

Andy Doughty

Cheers for that Budgie, gives me a bit more confidence. I'll get some 'benas from the tackle shop as well as taking lobs. There is always the chance of tench or two and if I'm lucky one of the 5 carp in the pit.

G

Gary Knowles

try putting the dead maggots in pva bags with a little flavouring also...

G

Gary Knowles

Like Paul I dont really like using maggots as hookbaits as it seems to always lead to deep hooking

A

Andy Doughty

WooHoo!

I caught two eels, a bootlace (thin headed) and one of just over 2 lbs (wide headed) and a bonus 6lb 4oz tench!!
I also got very wet whilst listening to the play-off semi final, forgot the milk for the tea and found out that the bivvy leaks. Never mind, another coat of Fabsil should sort it out.
I'll give it another shot next week and see what comes along.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Good fishing Andy,

despite three takes (all on dead roach) I managed to blank! try again next Wednesday.