Fixed-spool reels and braid

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Well, I am really amazed by the sensitivity and strength braid lines offer, but i read almost everywhere "braid should only be used with baitcasting reels". Otherwise - bird nests and all kinds of trouble. Has anyone any experience with braid spooled on a fixed-spool reels? Is it really that bad? Also are there any specific requirements for the rod, especially the guides?

C

Chris Bishop

No problems as long as you're careful with flatter lines like Whiplash.

You need to make sure the line's wound on tight and take vcare a couple of slack coils don't get on the spool when you close the bail arm after casting etc.

Fireline in 20 or 30lb behaves fine. It creaks in the rod rings a bit but I don't think it damages them.

R

Rob Brownfield

Krazy, i've been using Fireline in 20 and 30 pound, as Chris mentiones, for about 4 years now. I only use it on Shimano reels with the "Aero wrap" system. Other reels I have used tend to cause the braid to fly off in a tangle.

Flat braid can be used, just. Leeda Outcast, the first braid "officially" available in the UK was of...I used it for salmon spinning...but as chris says...get the round stuff...less trouble all round

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Rob, for 20-30 pound test line what rod should I choose? I mean casting weight and action. Rods are obviously designed for mono, and isn't it dangerous to fish a rod, designed for 10lb mono with a 30lb FireLine? Will the Shimano in the 20-50 grams range do the job with braid lines?
I guess I should set the drag according to the rod strenght and not to the line's.

C

Chris Bishop

Not at all, 30lb Fireline is about the same diameter as 15lbs mono.

I usually use 2.75 or 3lb test curve rods for live and deadbaiting with it. I don't think braid casts quite as well because there's more friction in the rings from the rough surface but that's a minor gripe and I'm sure some would say they get further with it because of its lower dia.

Until you get used to it every fish feels like a big double because you really do feel every lunge and head shake without the stretch to absorb it. Fish react more violently to being hooked - I think because until you get used to braid you tend to hit them too hard and knock smaller fish off balance.

I don't usually bother using the drag, except netting fish when I'm on my own. I usually backwind.

The only thing you have to watch is snagging up. You can straighten most hooks out of snags with 30lb line, which obviously cuts down on lost lures anmd baited rigs thethered to snags.

But don't bend the rod, point it straight at the snag. If you have to pull hard, you can damage the spindle on the reel or strip gears, so wrap the line around a pair of forceps, back stick etc and pull with that.

S

Steve Parsons

Just one little piece of advice i'll offer is not to fill your reel spools right to the lip like you would with mono,this will cause tangles.Fill to within 3mm of spool lip.I have used braid on SHIMANO and DAIWA reels that have cross wrap line lay with no trouble at all.