Anybody started yet

T

The Piker

Hi has anybody started in ernest on the pike.

It is very warm for the time of year and so as yet i have not cast a line for pike.

I might have a trip down the levels this week to give somerset pike a bit of exercise.

We will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Rickrod

Reaction score
no ,local lake still warm and full off green algae its only worth fishing once the colour drops out off it good luck on the levels

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Stu, hope your keeping well.

Been out a couple of times, a couple of jacks,it's just too mild. Have a chat with Pete before you go down to the levels, I don't think it's fishing too well.

Good luck mate.

C

Chris Bishop

Been about a dozen times inc 8 days in a row a couple of weeks back. Couple of good days but everywhere's very clear and weedy and have struggled as often as I've caught.

MartynC

Reaction score
Have had a few fish to 13 in Oct from flowing water so nothing special/big but would comment in the current conditions this Oct that :

1. Fish are feeding but not on the bottom (on my waters) and are happy to come up to take baits fished mid water or even near the surface (water is clear so pike can see 1-2m).

2. Lives have proved better than deads except maybe at night (assuming yr deads did not get eeled at night).

3. Lure anglers are catching fish so I guess wobblers would bag up as well.

4. Pike are in the shallower areas 3-6ft, whiledeep water (say 10-20ft) has been dead.

5. On the finder food fish are spread out, as are therefore the pike. So mobile methods will be best, static fishing could easily be a waste of time.

6. In conclusion I would prefer to wobble/lure/use lives at present not sit on deads.

This is obviously a personal view based on a couple of flowing waters only, and no doubt others will disagree since every water is different!

The one method I would not recommend was used by two Poles I saw on Sat. They were ledgering what looked like lumps of white fat! Hopefully they did not catch and indeed will notcatch anything!

T

The Piker

Fine thanks Steve,hoping for some frosts....

The pike on the wye are spread out,the silvers not yet shoaled up in the deeps.

It has been the same the last couple of years..

ian hewett

Reaction score
Had my first of the season at 7lb 12 oz and lost one at the net about 10lb but it does not feel right with this warm weather!!. Trouble is my season is short so I have to get on with it. Going tommorrow on my secret pit for two nights deadbaiting will report back.

Reaction score
I`m going to check out the river early tomorrow morning before work ,after all that rain Tuesday it may be flooded , if fishable i will be out Saturday .

According to the forecast the first frosts are due the middle of next week .

Y

yoggy

The Fen drains are still very clear and weedy for the time of the year.

I`ve had a few sessions with mediocre success,but I really dont get started till December anyway!.

I hope we dont get frosts to soon as my bloody central heating boiler has packed up!!!!/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

barry kirk

Reaction score
was on the river ancholme in lincolnshire 2 weeks ago.4 searing runs on small dead roach,all dropped.never missed 4 runs in a session in my life.now ive had time to think,pretty sure they could have been eels.last monday fished the keadby canal at medge hall.i had 3 pike,6lb,7lb and 8lb 4oz.also photod a nice low double for a guy from sheffield.went back to canal on the following thursday,dropped runs again,but no fish.i,m going to give it another bash next tuesday,mabye i,ll take some single hook rigs,and smaller baits,and try and catch a pesky snig ,just to prove to myself i,m not just a lousey piker.

MartynC

Reaction score
Fish are "on" at present with the high barometer and clear water. Found jacks spread out everywhere this afternoon hitting trolled baits happily. Then had 2 doubles in 3 mins at dusk.Confirming my view that I dont believe its ideal for deadbaits (yet)I had a dead outat various times and it was ignored. The pike wanted lives every time fished midwater.

D

David Marrs

Off out for a quick all nighter tonight after the old Zeds. Fingers X'd but it is still blinking hot - supposed to hit 20degs in Midlands today, what is that all about?????

tony brooks 3

Reaction score
Manageda couple of zeds last weekend, one small, other respectable but half a dozdropped runs from eels but then it was a dark night las t saturday with all nightcloud cover, no dew and v warm

Looks like Monday could be interestinga try as there is some wind forecast with decent gusts so hopefully this will stir the zeds in to action and i can get a decent drift going off the boat

good luck

T

The Piker

I went barbel fishing instead........

Had 5 best 9-2,plus a good chub...

Bring on the cold stuff...

Dave any good on the zeds mate..

T

The Piker

Rain forcast,then turning a bit colder..................

Could it be what we are waiting for????????

ian hewett

Reaction score
Went out before the cold Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday result three pike on deads 16lb, 4lb, 9lb 2oz. First good result this season but again very warm. Looking forward to the weekend when I will be hitting the banks again!

T

The Piker

I went down the levels friday........

Had 8 pike,nothing big but good sport,on a fine day after a cold frosty start..

Hope to get on the wye this week ..

T

The Piker

Wye very low and clear.

No dace about.

One small pike on lives..

Can only get better-----and soon i think!!!!!!!!!!.