cats in winter

Colin Harlow 2

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me if you cancatch catfish in winter ? ive had a few on the bank this year but that was in the summer ive never fished for them in the cold!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The odd one or two does pop up during the winter but i think it`s more the execption than the norm.It may be worth fishing a kebab type set up with a big old single hook and tracefor pike and keep your fingers crossed a big old cat might decide to feed....you just never know!!!

I know of a section of the nene close to where i live that threw up a 25lbs cata month or so ago and i know some good 20`s (pike) have also come out from the area,so i may just give it a try???

catman

Reaction score
Trouble is with doubling up for pike and cats is trebles. Trebles IMHO are not safe for cats. In the event of a break off the cat can end up clamping its mouth shut and as a result starves to death. Not pleasant but ive seen it. If you want to stick it out in the Winter for cats your best bet would be to use a plastic coated wire trace (in case of pike) and use a livebait on a size 1 hook popped up with a medium size bait popper. If you really want to try it that is.