Your favourite rig for perch?

dave11

Reaction score
Mine is the run rig backed up by a Roll over although i am coming to the conclusion that a Paternoster is starting to sway me over after some really good perch caught which were obviously not caught on the bottom......mmmm?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
for fishing livebaits i like to use a float paternoster and fish it with an open bale arm and rollover indicator. I use to favour a free roaming livebait but found that if the bait was too lively you would be constantly re-casting the bait to your intended spot, this had the negative effects of spooking wary perch and killing your bait.
My other most successful method for big perch is to troll small crankbaits

Heres a couple of good Perch caught from earlier this year on paternostered livebaits:

002-32.jpg

005-21.jpg

bennygesserit

Reaction score
for fishing livebaits i like to use a float paternoster and fish it with an open bale arm and rollover indicator. I use to favour a free roaming livebait but found that if the bait was too lively you would be constantly re-casting the bait to your intended spot, this had the negative effects of spooking wary perch and killing your bait.
My other most successful method for big perch is to troll small crankbaits

Heres a couple of good Perch caught from earlier this year on paternostered livebaits:

002-32.jpg

005-21.jpg

Danny those are great fish ! I have had some lovely perch on a simple single worm float fished on the canal near the reeds.

chav professor

Reaction score
Danny, it is great to see you posting again!!! Welcome back...... Stunning perch and super advice. Just the sort of forum posting that makes logging on worth while............

dave11

Reaction score
One i caught on a straight forward pat but with a lobby attached last week

I think i will have to look up the JPG rules?

Attachments

• P1010978.jpg
    P1010978.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had some nice perch last year on lives, I made a knotless knot trace out or 5lb Kryston Incognito, I tied a size 16 barbed hook to the hair part and a size 8 as the main hook, I never missed a bite with this rig. I described this rig at the time and someone suggested using a loop on the hair and a stop, rather than two hooks.

I've given it some thought and may try a loop with a bit of buoyant foam as a stop. The water does not have any predators other than perch, so its not a problem in not using wire.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
like the idea of that Ray, will have to have a try of that this coming winter. The water where i caught the perch in the pics had no pike so it was nice to not use a wire trace. For a hooklength i used Guru N-gauge in 6Ib. Its a copolymer line so care has to be taking when choosing and tying knots but overall i was very impressed with it, dont use too long a length though as tangles can be a problem as the line is very supple.

Here's a breakdown of my paternoster sett-up for Perch :

8Ib M/L

Small ball bob float or Drennan chubber.

Hooklength was locked onto mainline with a couple of braid stops and rubber beads, helecopter/rotary style.

Hooklength 6Ib Guru with a size 12/10 VMC/Drennan treble.

Boom section, ESP bristle filament

as light a lead as possible to hold bait.

The boom section of bristle filament was a great idea and helped reduce tangles considerably.

dave11

Reaction score
what about a good old lobworm rig....I use the simplest of simplest rig free running with open bail arm and roll over. at the moment i am trying out different hooklengths. it seems very critical on my water !

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Prefer to have some visual indication in the form of a float when fishing for Perch. They can just sit on the spot and engulf the bait in an instant especially with livebaits and if not vigilant deep hooking can become a real issue. Even when fishing a float paternoster i like to use an open bail arm, rollover and bitealarm, maybe over the top but you cant be too careful.

terry m

Reaction score
I am a fan of free roaming livebaits, simple lip hooked minnows under old fashioned bobber floats will generally induce a take pretty quickly if there are perch in the area.

dave11

Reaction score
There has always been good debate with other perchers and some fisherman in general over the size of the weight. Some say it has to be quite a heaviesh bomb so when free running it securely holds the free running line as it passes through. Others say as mentioned as lighter a bomb as you can get away with. This could mean from 1/4 oz-3oz I have seen. The anti light brigade obvious say that even with a big run ring the light weight will lift and cause resistance on the take hence drop take. Always a good debate this one:)

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Got to agree Dave, when im using any kind of free-running ledger rig for predators the heavier the lead the better. However i usually fish my paternoster rigs for Perch as fixed, hence why i use the lightest lead i can get away with. Another rig worth considering is the Dyson rig. The rig behaves similar to the paternoster but the bait can be taken "freely". Its a rig favored by big Eel anglers due to its resistance free properties. I haven't got a great deal of experience with this rig but ive tied a few up and plan to start using it over the weekend for my Eel fishing. If it works well i will be giving it a bash for the Perch.

Resistance of rigs dose cause a lot of debate among predator anglers and as a general rule i have to agree that the least resistance the better. However as with all angling there is always an exception to the rule and on more than one occasion the fish have thrown away the rule book. My biggest Perch this year seized my bait as i was reeling it in to re-position it and my biggest Eel tore off with a deadbait that was fished off the baitrunner on a rig that was plugged deep into silt making the rig behave more like a bolt rig than a free-running one. It just shows you that when predators are on the feed there is little that will put them off. On days when they are proving finicky any change/increase in resistance will cause them to drop the bait. Due to this i always err on the side of caution and fish my rigs with the least resistance possible.

dave11

Reaction score
It is a difficult one. I recently caught some 3lbers. I in general fish for perch in the day and eels at night. Many say its dawn and dusk but I have found this not to be the case. I have caught many at 12 noon although never past that until dusk. The depths of water obviously play a part I am certain and I really do not think with big perch there is any positive way to say dawn and dusk only on the deeper gravel pits. In 3ft ponds this dawn Dusk is probably more true fact. My water stems up to 25 ft deep in areas and I find that even in bright sunshine they will feed at say 8ft. In fact I think if you had the perfect all round depth for big perch it would be 6-8ft deep.i am going a bit off topic but i think with perch that it's not the rig that is greatly important it's the conditions.
I use a Sidley rig for eels and I am going to start trying it with Perch. I hate wire trace so I am using kryston quicksilver. I might give that rig a try. I find the drop shot rig good too. But then danny i start going into the massive rig world of the carp angler when there is no need too. In fact no need to in the carp world either...LOL

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Finally got my Piccy together of my fine Perch:)

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/dave1-albums-fish-picture3197-perch-3lb.jpg

Chris Campbell

Reaction score
Guy's I like using a sunk float paternoster with small live roach or minnow fishing mostly on still waters. How ever where I fish there are always pike present what do you guys do for an up trace with this rig when going for perch? I use 10lb soft steel wire on the hook trace and the same for the up trace but I am very worried I hook a big pike and it rolls on the up trace causing serious damage to the pike with the wire being so thin. What could I do to eliminate this without ruining the presentation of the rig? Help Please!!!

dave11

Reaction score
Try Krystan quicksilver. There is no magic answer as for pike you should really up to wire but for perch and pike and zander i think no need to so for me providing i am not specifically aiming for pike i go for the quicksilver. Perch Eels and Zander will tend to take very small baits like worm where as Pike will dismiss it most of the time..I say most but it will be a single hook so no damage should be done.

This year i have noticed i am getting many more deep hooked Eels. I don't honestly know why as everything is as it has always been. i may start experiment with a fixed lead. The right length will be critical as to short and the eel will reject and to long and you still have a deep hooked eel. Eels i find are the hardest one to guage in this scenario...Anybody on here dismissed their free running rig?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Chris, its a tricky one with RE to the up-trace when paternostering for Perch. With pike yes everytime but on a Perch rig the up-trace looks just to blatant to me and i avoid it,ive had no problems yet, but you've got me thinking. If your worried about pike rolling up the trace, maybe cover the wire with rig tubing? Or try a slightly different presentation, if you want the bait tethered go for the CD rig or try a free-rover.

Dave, ive looked at quicksilver in the tackle shop and decided against using it for Perch again it just looks to blatant with its waxy and springy feel. Its each to there own and you seem to do well on it but i would urge caution about not using wire for eels and especially zander. Zanders teeth demand the use of wire and you are definatly likely to encounter Pike whilst zander fishing so why take the risk. Not only is it dodgy for the pike but for the sake of using a wire trace you could end up loosing the pike of a lifetime, is it worth it?

Same for eels. Its a long running debate amongst eel anglers, quicksilver or wire?It all depends on the type of eel in your venue, if they are the small mouthed invertibrate feeders you could get away with it, the broadheaded fish eating eels will make mincemeat out of it. The trouble is you are likely to encounter both varietys of eel in the same water so id cover both bases and use wire. Even wire is not totally fool proof as big eels in rare/extreme circumstances have been known to cut through wire with thier violent headshaking acting almost like a hacksaw.

Most of the best eel anglers use wire so its a no brainer really.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
RE resistance, certainly with running water fish, it's the change in resistance that freaks the perch out, I've really experimented with this and my findings led me to change much of my Perching approach.

On the subject of livebaits, I've always feared a free roaming bait would act too naturally and not be enough to tempt a perch when conditions for them to be having a good munch are not conducive.
I feel confident when fishing a top feeder like a bleak hard to the bottom so it struggles to simply move up in the column, and paternostering a gudgeon mid water in order to make it struggle to get to the river bed.

Dave1 using the drop shot style rig is excellent on the Kennet where the crayfish populations are dense. Simply hanging a dendra or a lob like that is killer.