Who says you can't catch fish under a full moon..eels you can

dave11

Reaction score
following on from my quest for large Eels i had mis calculated a full moon on my 48 hour session. I am not sure what to make of this lunar cycle thing. Evidence is foggy with no clear evidence either way so i just fish regardless.

Well 20+ eels graced my net on a gravel pit in the south of England accumalating at a 3lb 2oz with most being around the high 2's in two nights. taken on worm over a maggot bed.One on the bottom and one half water with switching to the bottom as it was more the successful method although my attempts with the 'Siddley rig' worked out well.

A 5lb + eel came out recently and atleast an 7-8lb recently!

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Well you did a lot better than me and a mate did on Wed night. We had an overnight session fishing for eels on the canal. Two rods each (although a horrific tangle on the reel saw me reduced to one rod part way through the night), three rods were set up with a J.S rig and baited with worms and the other rod was set up with a Dyson rig and a gudgeon for bait. All the rods were fished close in over a bed of maggots for the majority of the night.

I had a couple of decent takes, one yanked the line clear of the bobbin and the other actually stripped line off the baitrunner but neither turned into a screaming run. My mate had numerous indications and his rollovers were flipped on several occasions but neither of us managed to catch anything.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
good to hear of anglers getting out after the eels, starting my eel fishing tonight looking forward to it, been sidetracked by other fish so its now time to concentrate on them until the autumn no matter what the moon phase is :w

philblakey

Reaction score
I've caught plenty of pike at night on lures; full moon is a favourite time, caught a few caught on Eels too............but they're made of rubber!!:)

x4m05k.jpg

Phil.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Nice pike Phil :w These new eel baits look interesting will have to take a look. How different are they in action to "dawgs" or "alien eels" or do they retrieve/fish in a similar manner?

Managed to get out on my first eel trip of the summer last night, managed 4 blistering takes which saw me strike into thin air. Finally managed to hook an eel which didnt feel big until under the rod tip where it woke up and finally bumped the hook :eek:mg: Welcome back to the joys of eeling :D Enjoyed being back out fishing for them cant wait to have another bash. Very frustrating but highly addictive.

philblakey

Reaction score
How different are they in action to "dawgs" or "alien eels" or do they retrieve/fish in a similar manner?
Hi Danny.
They're different to dawgs, the tails a different shape and more subtle, difficult to describe really.
The pike like them though, they have a habit of taking them deep, even the big sized eel. You'll need your hook cutters if you try them, slow steady retrieve is the cause of pike engulfing them i think, rather than the lure itself?
I've never caught an Eel, even as a kid, certainly not that i remember. I used to do a lot of coarse fishing from an early age too, a long time before i started lure fishing for pike, but it's a species i've never caught.............i must be in a minority?:)
Phil.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Nice one Phil, I'll have a look out for these, are they released in the autumn or are they available now?

Managed my first eel of the season by design last night, no monster but a respectable 3Ib 14oz snig caught on a rudd head fished on a JS rig. Dont be fooled by the size, even a 2.75Ib carp rod was pulled right round and it gave a good scrap, lots of savage head shaking on the surface. The self takes where a nightmare, the eel was well rested in a sac so was quite lively. The eel made a break for the lake and i had to dive in a reed bed after it, who said eels dont travel over land ;)

009-11.jpg

philblakey

Reaction score
Cracker Danny!:)
I'd be delighted to catch that.............it would have to be on a lure though!:D
September the Real Eels should appear as far as i know.
It would be interesting to know if pike feed on Eels to any degree, more or less than other species? Pike certainly like eel type lures.
Phil.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

I am not sure what to make of this lunar cycle thing. Evidence is foggy with no clear evidence either way so i just fish regardless.
Dave. (or anyone else)
I only lure fish for pike, i do fish a lot at night and like yourself i go regardless of conditions etc. If i can grab a few hours i do.
But it is noticeable that the larger pike are often caught on a full moon, not always at night time, sometimes during daylight with the full moon that night or the night before.
I've never looked into it at depth, it's just a generalisation, but i do try to get an extra few hours in over the full moon period.
I've noticed similar from other pike anglers too, my Uncle bait fishes for pike in the Winter, he caught a 31lb pike in daylight with the full moon that night. His 8 year old grandson caught the same pike a month later, again on the full moon???
Have you ever noticed that the bigger eels are caught on the full moon?
Phil.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
not been eel fishing long enough to notice trends in my own fishing but what i have read RE full moons and Eels is quite contradictory. Ive read of some really good fish taken during this period yet a lot of eel anglers have negative views about fishing during this period, why im not sure? There are other eel anglers that hold to the theory that eels are more likely to actively feed up near the surface on bright moon lit nights as their prey is better silouetted against the surface. So it stands to reason that bottom fished baits maybe ignored during this moon phase and suspended baits have a better chance of being taken. Who knows? Personally i just go fishing when i can regardless of conditions.

philblakey

Reaction score
Deep subject Danny............not sure i'll ever get to grips with it........not sure i want to ??????:)
Phil.

dave11

Reaction score
Eels and pike live happily together they seem to just tolerate each other. I am talking fair sized eels here 2lb+. One of my favourite baits for pike is lamprey so how does that make sence. Well an injured fish or dead one is food for anything so eel section would be food for eel or pike.

dave11

Reaction score
Dave,
Sorry for delay i just did not see it. I have to be careful here as i am thinking of joining the Anguilla club..LOL
I know Pike eat Eels but in my experience only seem to eat small or bootlace eels. I know of a fishery (and your club has been invited there on one of your fish ins ;) ) where catching eels are never touched by Pike. reeling in i have seen Jacks come into take the Eel and then back off very sharply.
Zander who live quite happily with pike but i have landed hundreds of zander in the past and a Pike will have a crack at it .

I can't give you scientific reasons why but that is my experience which you may find out later in the year on a fish in:)

eel611

Reaction score
Spot on with that Danny, I've caught at all stages of the Moons phases, I just get out when I can and don't bother with the Moon phase. Nice to find a fellow Manc on the Eel circuit!