Migrating eels

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Have just been sent THESE photographs.
Eels migrating from one pond to another during the recent floods. The walkway where they were seen passing over is normally about 5ft above normal water levels.

Pics are not that good but with the levels dropping back to normal level its an event that will ever be seen again at those two ponds.

Can't claim any credit as they were taken by DCAC's head bailiff, Den Lilley.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have just been sent THESE photographs.
Eels migrating from one pond to another during the recent floods. The walkway where they were seen passing over is normally about 5ft above normal water levels.

Can't claim any credit as they were taken by DCAC's head bailiff, Den Lilley.

John,
they sound interesting but you can only view if you have the relevant login details.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks, John.
While I don't like catching them much, I am quite fascinated by them. I've been interested to hear many Tees barbel anglers reporting a big increase in the number of eels caught so far this season. I've yet to hear of a similar upturn on other rivers, but I'll be keeping my ears open.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing:w

I bet theres a few waters that have gained a new stocking of snigs during this wet summer.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Sam, The Wear used to have a massive head of eels, and some big ones too. Ive had a couple over 5lb, taken on free lined flake/cheese paste in no more than 18" of water.

We used to have a guy who would net the Wear and Tyne in alternate years and ship them off the Europe in refrigerated waggons. He recons to have had fish over 9lb from the Wear and once claimed to have had a 19lb+ barbel, and that was long before the explosion in weights.

I believe there is an outflow into the Wear from the lower of the two ponds so they could hold a few big females. Sadly its a SSSI water and the Durham Wildlife Trust will/does not allow fishing

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
thats a big eel for a river.

Is'nt it always the way the waters you fancy fishing for big eels are either no fishing or no night fishing. Very frustrating, ive got my eye on one such water at the moment but there is no night fishing.