Pike/Perch Help please?

rhingley

Reaction score
Hi people - advice please!

Name is Rich, had another account on here in 2008, (was a newb on other account too :D)

Fished for the first time in three years last week, i went twice actually,
trying to catch a few pike/perch on some lures an few spinners, had a few
bites but nothing else... sun was out, seen a few pike in the shallows but
but no action! :/

I was fishing netherton reservoir in the west midlands. near Dudley it is.
(hard fishing at the best of times)
I've caught a few pike an perch from there on the same lures so dont
know what i was doing wrong...

http://www.blackbassreviews.com/Image%20index/grub.JPG
Anyway i've brought a Jig Kit, Grubs an jig heads... can i use them as i do
lures? are they good for perch?

Never used them, but need advice how i use them, sorry for sounding so
simple... :confused:

by the way, the tackle i was using:
John Wilson Six Shooter Rod,
Bass Baitcaster Reel,
Korda Braid,
Wire Trace Rig,

Thanks in advance!
Rich!

Chevin

Reaction score
Hi people - advice please!

Name is Rich, had another account on here in 2008, (was a newb on other account too :D)

Fished for the first time in three years last week, i went twice actually,
trying to catch a few pike/perch on some lures an few spinners, had a few
bites but nothing else... sun was out, seen a few pike in the shallows but
but no action! :/

I was fishing netherton reservoir in the west midlands. near Dudley it is.
(hard fishing at the best of times)
I've caught a few pike an perch from there on the same lures so dont
know what i was doing wrong...

http://www.blackbassreviews.com/Image%20index/grub.JPG
Anyway i've brought a Jig Kit, Grubs an jig heads... can i use them as i do
lures? are they good for perch?

Never used them, but need advice how i use them, sorry for sounding so
simple... :confused:

by the way, the tackle i was using:
John Wilson Six Shooter Rod,
Bass Baitcaster Reel,
Korda Braid,
Wire Trace Rig,

Thanks in advance!
Rich!

Well I have caught perch on softies but they are not my first choice of lure for them. If I am lure fishing for perch I much prefer an Ondex (No 4 is my favourite) and use a bit of lead wire or solder for weight adjustment. The Voblex lure is also a favourite of mine. Pike will also take both, but for the larger pike a good sized dead bait either worked or ledgered takes a bit of beating. In the right conditions some of the Amercan surface lures are also very good. I have just been given some Voblex lures and I am looking forward to trying them in the Indian Ocean here.

rhingley

Reaction score
Alright then Chevin, Thanks for the Info mate,

Problem is the water i'm fishing, well its been fished loads over the years so most fish
aint taking the normal lures, but never tried decent spinners or Jigs, so im looking
forward to giving those a blast.

All advice is great advice here: as i dont know much about perch behaviour, or what
takes there fancy.

Cheers,
Rich

rhingley

Reaction score
Just been for another two hour morning session, RAIN.... grrr. didnt catch anything had a few little perch follow my jig but nothing else, LOADS of tench though lol
HELP!!
Many Thanks,
Rich

Chevin

Reaction score
Alright then Chevin, Thanks for the Info mate,

Problem is the water i'm fishing, well its been fished loads over the years so most fish
aint taking the normal lures, but never tried decent spinners or Jigs, so im looking
forward to giving those a blast.

All advice is great advice here: as i dont know much about perch behaviour, or what
takes there fancy.

Cheers,
Rich

It's not just a matter of what baits or lures you use, it is how you use them. Some anglers catch good fish from heavily fished waters simply because they experiment with methods as well as baits and lures. One of the things I love about the Ondex is that it is unweighted and so it allows you to use it quite slowly over the top of shallow weed beds. Or, when you have added a bit of weight, you can work it slowly at depth. It is all a matter of trial and error. Heavily fished waters can be difficult but they can be mastered. Other anglers can suggest methods, but very often you will have to develop methods in order to fool fish that have seen it all before. But it can be done.

Unfortunately, having fish follow but not taking a lure is often an indication that it is not being worked or presented correctly, so it is well worth persevering on those little perch until you can get them to take and then you may find that you will begin to hit some bigger fish.

rhingley

Reaction score
Cheers, Chevin & Derek..

I do need to do alot more time on that water, i do actually test what the lures an jigs
are up for an what they do at different speeds and directions...

I often test them in the canal first see what action they have. i know there is way
more to do than cast out and reel in, there are so many different options for just one
lure its madness.

All help is grateful!

Rich.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Your lures and methods sound ok to me. I know this sounds obvious................but try another venue. You said yourself it is hard at the best of times, sounds to me like it is pressured. Get out there and search for some new venues where the predators are getting less attention with lures, you maybe surprised with your results, good luck :)

rhingley

Reaction score
Thanks Danny.
Just wish it was that simple, i dont have transport at all... and aint too sure what else
there is to offer where i'm living, i know where i fish is free to the public an has fish in
it, i need a fishing buddy... or a car lol DOOMED.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
what about any local canals? There must be one nearby or at the least a bus ride away? Before i could drive id get on the bus with a load of gear and get out to other venues. Canals are great lure fishing venues, there shallow so your lures are never far from a predator, travel light and you can cover loads of ground and fish in a day. Give it a go and let us know how you get on :)

rhingley

Reaction score
what about any local canals? There must be one nearby or at the least a bus ride away? Before i could drive id get on the bus with a load of gear and get out to other venues. Canals are great lure fishing venues, there shallow so your lures are never far from a predator, travel light and you can cover loads of ground and fish in a day. Give it a go and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks Danny, again...

Funny that, i live about a minutes walk from the Canal...
Never really thought of canals to be ok for lures!
i've always thought there ok for bits an bobs like floats, but never
pike or perch! do i fish differently as i would on a reservoir? or the same?:confused:

Learn something new everyday:D!
Forgot to mention, the canal near me is REALLY MURKY! what lures
would i use?

Thanks again,
Rich.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
dont uderestimate the canals mate had some cracking fish out of them. Try shallow diving crankbaits, spinnerbaits and spinners. Anything with plenty of rattles and vibration so they stand out in the coloured water. Also give jigs a try for perch or maybe even sink and draw with a deadbait. Fish light and cover loads of ground. A good method is to "towpath troll" cast out your lure and simply drag it behind you as you walk, sounds mad but it works.

Phil Blakey posts on here a bit he's got some great tips for fishing lures on canals. I usually wait until later in the year when water temps are cooler to target pike on these shallow venues.

rhingley

Reaction score
Cheers Danny,
I've never given it ago, but i will now! should be good..
i did catch a decent perch out the Reservoir, and that was in the colder months too.
about 3 years ago now.. on a little plug. Did have the photos on here of my fish but it
was my old account, and now my photos have gone because of inactivity :( gutted.

Anyway Thanks for the advice!
Rich.