missed runs on deadbaits

nicky

Reaction score
Could do with some advice been missing allot of runs on dead baits at short range.

Caught one last sunday and then had 2 come off, then today had 5 runs 2 spat the hook just as i was about to net them 2 came off shortly after connecting but thankfully i landed the last and final run.

I am using drennan carbon trebles size 6, i have checked the hooks are sticky sharp and honed any that werent.

I am winding down untill line is tight then stricking hard.

I was stricking sideways but the last fished i landed i struck straight up and left it run for about 10 secs instead of stricking instantly.

I remember having the same problem last year and missed about seven runs in 3 sessions.

I am convinced i must be doing something wrong to miss so many its really frustrating.

Any advice on hook choice, how long to leave it run, and striking technique much appreciated.

I usually strike instantly as i know this is what is a advised to minimize deep hooking but i am starting to think i need to let them run a bit longer?

esox2914

Reaction score
I never strike straightaway, I always allow the pike a bit of time to let it turn the bait and get it well inside the mouth, I do not leave them long though, certainly not long enough the deep hook any, but it really depends on the size of baits you are using. And maybe switch to bigger hooks, I use Fox extra strong trebles in size 4.

CAT

Reaction score
Bigger the bait the longer you wait but try using a big single hook size 1 or 2 on the top instead of a treble, it works for me!
Especially when fishing Smelts, put that hook straight through the tail root this enables you to cast them good distances plus the hook ups are usually the single in the scissors.

nicky

Reaction score
Thanks guys i was thinking maybe upping the hook size and changing manufacturer they drennan hooks do seem quite soft and bend easily and get blunt quick.

I was also thinking about single hooks as a few years ago i went through a stage of using cubes of mackerel popped up a couple of inches with a split shot on the trace fished using a float and i didnt miss many runs and as you said mostly hooked nicely in the scissors.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Thanks guys i was thinking maybe upping the hook size and changing manufacturer they drennan hooks do seem quite soft and bend easily and get blunt quick.

I was also thinking about single hooks as a few years ago i went through a stage of using cubes of mackerel popped up a couple of inches with a split shot on the trace fished using a float and i didnt miss many runs and as you said mostly hooked nicely in the scissors.

Try that again then, same water close in?

agamemnon

Reaction score
a lot of people all seem to claim you need to strike straight away when fishing for pike. i though dont, i wait for a bit prob 5 seconds but each take is different and only experience will tell you when to strike so the fish is not gut hooked.
in most cases a pike will strike a fish side on and then it will swim away and turn the fish so that it can be swallowed head first.
if you strike straight away then the odds are witha decent sized bait the hooks will be either side of the pikes mouth and all you will do is pull the bait out the pikes mouth.

nicky

Reaction score
yea obvious really more spiders i have answered my own question i suppose, but i dont always want to fish that way like yesterday i was using half a small herring as bait and want to know if fishing like this how to get a decent hook hold.

keora

Reaction score
Some of the pike you lost could have been small, and hadn't taken all of the deadbait in their mouths.

Some anglers advise that pike should be struck immediately the float or indicator moves. This rarely works for me and I wait about 10 seconds or so after I see the first movement of the float.

nicky

Reaction score
Well went back to single hooks.

fished a float paternoster with 6" hooklink trace and 20" uptrace and landed a 4lb jack and 18.5lb personal best :)

Much better hook hold on a largish single them fish werent going anywhere but in the net.

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
are there any eels or to a lesser extent chub in the waters you are fishing,as in my experience these can cause dropped/ missed runs

nicky

Reaction score
there are and i think i have experienced this before one day i can remember my float bobbing what have must have been fifty times in one session but every strike met fresh air im sure that was eels.

But no these are pike i got two to the net and they shook there heads and out came the hooks just coulnt seem to get a good hook hold

chris hall

Reaction score
I have had similar problems whilst fishing Coniston at night, all night the drop of indicator would get the line pulled out and line would peel off, only to have a strike at nothing. The following night I put a rod out in the same area with a bass hook on a wire spinning trace and a sand eel bait. I managed to hook into a perch that was just lip hooked. When ever I go dead baiting I always carry traces with size 2 to 1/0 long shank bass or Aberdeen hooks. I have never deep hooked anything when doing this either as I have had both Pike and Perch as well as a chub in a river. I find it good to catch what ever is doing this as it will pack it in if caught and released away from your swim. I have yet to try circle hooks like this, but I will give it a go as I have recently bought some.
Chris.

B

binka

Have you tried shortening the distance between the two trebles?

I had a bad run with missed fish and after thinking it through in relation to how a pike picks up a deadbait I realised that the distance between the two trebles was too long as both could be outside the mouth.

That was some time ago and having shortened the distance I can probably count on one hand the number of takes i've not hit on one hand and that is with immediate striking.

Edited to add: This might be worth considering with wary/shy fish too as the immediate strike denies the fish the opportunity to think about it before ejecting the bait when letting it run for a few seconds.

Last edited:

clive morton

Reaction score
one thing to remember is the type of bait you are using ie lamprey very often seems to be almost inhaled and sometimes even hitting them straight away can see the hooks well down.
at the end of the day id rather miss afew runs and hope they were jacks than wait to long and deep hook a monster.
if your missing runs frequently try a smaller bait and close the gap between top and bottom treble.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, the biggest problem with deep hooking is that there are not that many that are confident in carefully pulling a pike's stomach through it's mouth - removing the hooks - and releasing it without undue harm.
Jerry

clive morton

Reaction score
Yep, the biggest problem with deep hooking is that there are not that many that are confident in carefully pulling a pike's stomach through it's mouth - removing the hooks - and releasing it without undue harm.
Jerry

i have carried out this procedure once in all the years i have been pike fishing not pleasant for the fish and no guarantees it will survive after being released although its good not to leave hooks in its gut.
being responsible should hopefully reduce the need to go to these extreme lengths.

chris hall

Reaction score
almost all of my traces are made with smaller trebles, 2 to 3 inch max gap and I now only use small baits of upto 4 to 5 inch. I have been using sandeels alot and they are a great little bait and cast well too. I now hook up much more on the jaw line, and not had a deep hook up for a long time now.
Chris

markdj

Reaction score
What i tend to do is, when i get a take, i leave the bail arm open, then lift the rod and then trap the line with my finger, i then feel for the pike, a slight nodding on the rod tip is usually the indication, then i wind down and strike

Bear in mind though, i only apply a tiny bit of pressure, so i dont cause the pike to drop the bait

Iv had too many dropped runs, then striking into nothing, this way i know they have the bait in thier mouth

Mark