spinning rod

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
I've never had a go at spinning, but watched Mr crab tree & I really want to have bash. I don't want spend loads, about 30 I reckon on a good second hand one. I have 9ft 2 3/4lb stalking rod, I'm guessing this will be too heavy ?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Justin you can buy a brand new rod for around 30 sheets!
Have a look on the Harris sportsmail website, they do loads of gear for lure fishing and also do cheap lure fishing rod and reel combos from the likes of Abu!

keora

Reaction score
A 9ft stalking rod with a TC of 2.75 lb will be fine for medium weight lure fishing for lures up to about 50gms in weight. I used a John Wilson stalking rod of the same specification for a few years until I broke it.

If you want to fish for smaller species such as trout, chub, perch, you need a smaller, lighter rod. Drennan do some good spinning rods, here's a link:

Drennan International

nicepix

Reaction score
Try what you've got first. Spend your money on lures rather than a rod and then if you take to spinning you will have some idea of what type of rod you prefer.

Deecy ACA

Reaction score
Lure World - Fishing Tackle Shipped Worldwide for lighter lure fishing which is a lot more fun than hurling dirty great lures about on the wrong rod. By using the heavy rod you have and lures to match you will miss out on perch chub even bream which all take lures but with a lighter outfit you still will catch pike, in fact they are a bit of a nuisance on 2 " shads!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lure World - Fishing Tackle Shipped Worldwide for lighter lure fishing which is a lot more fun than hurling dirty great lures about on the wrong rod. By using the heavy rod you have and lures to match you will miss out on perch chub even bream which all take lures but with a lighter outfit you still will catch pike, in fact they are a bit of a nuisance on 2 " shads!

Is that a Polish website?
Wouldn't touch them with a 16m pole mate, not fond of Salmo lures Anyway, cr*p IMO ;)

Deecy ACA

Reaction score
More than Salmo on there , i have bought soft baits and various jig heads etc all of which is very good . As are some of their rods. I also use AGM for lures , where do get your lures from , as you won't buy foreign I am just wondering which British firm out there makes and sell soft plastics , braid , jig heads, reels etc etc ?

steve w

Reaction score
"Quote"Is that a Polish website? Wouldn't touch them with a 16m pole mate, not fond of Salmo lures Anyway."
Lure-World is based in St.Albans and run by Artur Brzozowski.An excellent website with a great choice and very good service.AGM can also be highly recommended along with The Pike Shop.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
More than Salmo on there , i have bought soft baits and various jig heads etc all of which is very good . As are some of their rods. I also use AGM for lures , where do get your lures from , as you won't buy foreign I am just wondering which British firm out there makes and sell soft plastics , braid , jig heads, reels etc etc ?

Deecy, sorry if I sounded a bit blunt, no offence meant :) I do buy Foreign mate, but being me
I just don't trust foreign websites! I have used agm in fact I have just had a few Storm Lures from them, wicked prices! I don't know what the HRT lures are like, I have never heard of them and I tend to keep away from brands I don't know. Concerning the Salmo lures, well, I bought a few models from Harris and I just think they look cheap and have never used them as I don't trust the hooks and fittings on them, maybe you could assure me that they are ok?

My favourite lures by the way are the ones by Savage gear which are Foreign ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just thought my rod would be too stiff, seen em on the tele. They nearly bend in half

It all depends on the size of lure you want to cast, its nothing to do with the action of your rod when you have a fish on! get yourself a dedicated lure rod mate you will get more enjoyment casting with a proper lure rod :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Braid or Mono, the final choice is yours. But I would suggest there are a lot of advantages to using Braid. But whichever you choose, please employ a wire trace.

Hope this helps.

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
Got a rod but don't know if I've made a boob. Line rating 8_11. I bought some braid as I was told to, but its 20lb. Will this be too heavy or ok beacause of its low diameter. Only got it cos it was on offer, 250mt 18 quid

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Don't worry mate, the braid will work fine with your rod. Most of us that do a lot of lure fishing use braid because of the fact that you can get it in lower diameter BS, than mono of a similar strength. Also it's near zero stretch, which makes hook sets easier, and keeps you in touch with the lure far better than mono ever did. You'll find even small nips and plucks at the lure, will be transmitted to the rod far more obvious than with mono.

Let us know how you get on. :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Is that a Polish website?
Wouldn't touch them with a 16m pole mate, not fond of Salmo lures Anyway, cr*p IMO ;)

Living in Europe I've ordered from all over Europe. I use a Polish shop for lures and fly tackle, a Romanian shop for fly tying materials, a German shop for shimmy reels. The only country where I've had problems with orders is the UK :wh. If you're worried about being ripped off many European shops take paypal which offers an element of protection.

Salmo lures are brillant and I've had no problems with hardware on their lures. The Hornet is an excellent perch lure and the Slider is quite possibly one of the most effective jerkbaits ever made and it even comes in smaller sizes! I would suggest that if you have Salmo lures that you don't use then you're missing out. Hrt make some very good lures too.

The Polish and Eastern European are probably streets ahead of the English when it comes to lures and lure fishing.