Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinning rod

Default spinning rod

I've never had a go at spinning, but watched Mr crab tree & I really want to have bash. I don't want spend loads, about 30 I reckon on a good second hand one. I have 9ft 2 3/4lb stalking rod, I'm guessing this will be too heavy ?

Default Re: spinning rod

Justin you can buy a brand new rod for around 30 sheets!
    Have a look on the Harris sportsmail website, they do loads of gear for lure fishing and also do cheap lure fishing rod and reel combos from the likes of Abu!

A 9ft stalking rod with a TC of 2.75 lb will be fine for medium weight lure fishing for lures up to about 50gms in weight. I used a John Wilson stalking rod of the same specification for a few years until I broke it.

If you want to fish for smaller species such as trout, chub, perch, you need a smaller, lighter rod. Drennan do some good spinning rods, here's a link:

Drennan International

Try what you've got first. Spend your money on lures rather than a rod and then if you take to spinning you will have some idea of what type of rod you prefer.

5. Default Re: spinning rod

Lure World - Fishing Tackle Shipped Worldwide for lighter lure fishing which is a lot more fun than hurling dirty great lures about on the wrong rod. By using the heavy rod you have and lures to match you will miss out on perch chub even bream which all take lures but with a lighter outfit you still will catch pike, in fact they are a bit of a nuisance on 2 " shads!
    Angling Trust member.

Quote Originally Posted by Deecy ACA View Post
    Lure World - Fishing Tackle Shipped Worldwide for lighter lure fishing which is a lot more fun than hurling dirty great lures about on the wrong rod. By using the heavy rod you have and lures to match you will miss out on perch chub even bream which all take lures but with a lighter outfit you still will catch pike, in fact they are a bit of a nuisance on 2 " shads!
    Is that a Polish website?
    Wouldn't touch them with a 16m pole mate, not fond of Salmo lures Anyway, cr*p IMO

7. Default Re: spinning rod

More than Salmo on there , i have bought soft baits and various jig heads etc all of which is very good . As are some of their rods. I also use AGM for lures , where do get your lures from , as you won't buy foreign I am just wondering which British firm out there makes and sell soft plastics , braid , jig heads, reels etc etc ?
    Angling Trust member.

"Quote"Is that a Polish website? Wouldn't touch them with a 16m pole mate, not fond of Salmo lures Anyway."
    Lure-World is based in St.Albans and run by Artur Brzozowski.An excellent website with a great choice and very good service.AGM can also be highly recommended along with The Pike Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Deecy ACA View Post
    More than Salmo on there , i have bought soft baits and various jig heads etc all of which is very good . As are some of their rods. I also use AGM for lures , where do get your lures from , as you won't buy foreign I am just wondering which British firm out there makes and sell soft plastics , braid , jig heads, reels etc etc ?
    Deecy, sorry if I sounded a bit blunt, no offence meant I do buy Foreign mate, but being me
    I just don't trust foreign websites! I have used agm in fact I have just had a few Storm Lures from them, wicked prices! I don't know what the HRT lures are like, I have never heard of them and I tend to keep away from brands I don't know. Concerning the Salmo lures, well, I bought a few models from Harris and I just think they look cheap and have never used them as I don't trust the hooks and fittings on them, maybe you could assure me that they are ok?

My favourite lures by the way are the ones by Savage gear which are Foreign

I just thought my rod would be too stiff, seen em on the tele. They nearly bend in half

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast