Zander in lakes - where do I start?

nicepix

Reaction score
I've only ever encountered zander by accident when spinning for pike in the fens. There is a couple of large lakes nearby that hold zander and I'm looking for any tips on fish location and methods for deadbaiting.

richiekelly

Reaction score
During daylight look for dark cover such as overhanging trees/bushes failing that any deeper parts of the lake. fish late evening into dark. use fresh deads if you can and bite indication that gives little resistance.

nicepix

Reaction score
During daylight look for dark cover such as overhanging trees/bushes failing that any deeper parts of the lake. fish late evening into dark. use fresh deads if you can and bite indication that gives little resistance.

Thanks.

The locals seem to concentrate on the deepest part of the lake, hurling small deadbaits as far out, and therefore fishing as deep as it is possible. I don't know of they are successful or not as I've never seen them catch anything while I was watching.

Night fishing is out of the question in France, but I have seen fry being herded into small bays and deep channels that were effectively traps, and I had been wondering if these areas would be worth a try rather than simply copying the locals.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Any trough's or gully's that have any degree of depth, will at some point become a magnet for Zander, as they will follow the contour when on the prod, and whilst trying to coral bait fish.

So yes, I would give them more than a cursary look.

Good hunting.

nicepix

Reaction score
Thanks.

That is what I thought. One of the areas I mentioned is a gully leading to a dead end small bay where I thought I saw a zander leaping after it had scattered some fry. The other area is down the side of a sand bar where the depth drops off from a metre or so on the plateau to three metres off the edge.

I didn't want to just follow the locals in fishing the deepest part of the dam unless that was going to be the only likely location.

I can get any amount of fingerling roach for dead baits so once the weather turns a bit more cloudy I'll give it a go fishing into the dusk.

mick b

Reaction score
Your right, if you copy the locals you will catch what they catch, that's assuming they return anything?

My Zander experience comes from a 100ha lake that went down to over 60 feet just off the bank in places.
In summer the Zander were always off the windward banks, deep if the water was clear and the weather sunny, active and in shallower water if it was coloured, overcast, or at dusk.

Small 2-3" roach whole or sections were the bait of choice and a clothes peg the best bite detector, any resistance whatsoever on the line would result in dropped runs.
Perch were the best livebait, fished around structure on windy choppy days and always caught the largest fish, mostly over 5lbs (well this was the early 80s) and the lake record of nearly eight on a 6" bait.
For spinning Yellow River Runts outfished every other lure by miles, especially at dusk.

We caught our Zander throughout the season, but usually in 40+ feet in the coldest months when the takes were slow nibbles and plucks but if left eventually they took confidently, at this time head-ends excelled.

Doing something different could certainly turn up some decent fish, have fun.

nicepix

Reaction score
Thanks again.

The areas the locals favour are probably 40 feet or possibly more in depth. I'll leave that until it cools off a bit and concentrate on the ambush points where I've seen fry scatter if and when a cloudy day coincides with free time.

Over here you can buy live roach fingerlings from tackle shops although half an hour with the whip and imitation maggot is enough to stock the freezer for a few sessions.

shortpaul

Reaction score
If you want a mobile approach, 3-5 inch shads are a good way to go. Typically, they're a fry chasing fish so imitate a lone small bait fish in likely looking spots. Doing this, you can cover loads of the water to find them. They're more than up for chasing a rubber lure, and will let you work the shallows quickly.

nicepix

Reaction score
If you want a mobile approach, 3-5 inch shads are a good way to go. Typically, they're a fry chasing fish so imitate a lone small bait fish in likely looking spots. Doing this, you can cover loads of the water to find them. They're more than up for chasing a rubber lure, and will let you work the shallows quickly.

Cheers. The locals do that in spring when the season opens. I was looking for late season tactics, Oct to Dec.

caesarson

Reaction score
Which Lakes are these? Do you have a location

THanks

Rickrod

Reaction score
Have a look on youtube there is some under water footage of zander which should help you with location just type in, zander lac salague.

nicepix

Reaction score
Which Lakes are these? Do you have a location

THanks

Lac Mas Chaban and Lac Lavaud between Chabanais and Rochchouart.

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Have a look on youtube there is some under water footage of zander which should help you with location just type in, zander lac salague.

Thanks for that.