newbie help

pidgergj

Reaction score
The venue i fish most is a natural stillwater that holds a lot of pike up to 20lb and a good number of big perch. i have never fished for pike (or any predatory fish for that matter) but i see guys spinning or deadbaiting for them and would like to give it a go. Im a bit nervous about handling pike as its something iv never done...any advice would be great.

worth mentioning at this point i havent fully committed to giving it a go, i need to weigh up what kit i need ect.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi pidgergj, if you feel nervous about handling pike then I would recommend that you try to go with an experienced predator angler until you are confident - pike are a lot more fragile than they look.
Jerry

pidgergj

Reaction score
Hi pidgergj, if you feel nervous about handling pike then I would recommend that you try to go with an experienced predator angler until you are confident - pike are a lot more fragile than they look.
Jerry

thats my main concern to be honest, harming the fish. Its just something id like to try. iv heard of the expression "chinning" pike? whats is it?

barbelboi

Reaction score
thats my main concern to be honest, harming the fish. Its just something id like to try. iv heard of the expression "chinning" pike? whats is it?

Something you don't want to try until you are confident - basically it's inserting your fingers between the gill rakers and toothy part - the gill rakers damage very easily and if you're doing it correctly you don't come into contact with the teeth or damage the 'rakers'. As said, best to have a few trips with an experienced predator angler.
Jerry

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Good advice there from Jerry. I would add that ''chinning'' pike, which entails sliding a couple of fingers under the gill flap, is also something that needs care. But this time not only for the ''pikes'' welfare, but your own.

Best to try to go out with someone who is experienced, and watch the whole process first hand, IMHO.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Sorry for the cross over Jerry, my typing is painfully slow:eek:mg: .

pidgergj

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I know the bailiff ad said water is a keen pike angler, maybe i will just find out when he is fishing and ask him if he wouldnt mind me just watching him.

B

binka

Jerry’s spot on with the handling.

Pike are quite a fragile species and it’s imperative in my opinion to go with someone experienced until you are confident with them yourself, as a rule I find the smaller fish are trickier to handle than the big girls as they tend to be livelier and you’re working with just a finger or two in the underside of the mouth instead of a hand, ideally you want to be rolling larger fish onto their backs on the unhooking mat so that you can pull the lower jaw upwards towards you in order to get a good view and remove the hooks with more control over the fish which occasionally involves straddling it… as daunting as it might sound it’s a confidence trick too and very straight forward once you’ve done it a couple of times but take the trouble to find someone who will show you and ideally oversee your first attempts and you’ll need long and short forceps ideally along with long handled wire cutters and a deep throat disgorger just in case

Gear wise I think you would be ok with a 2.5lb tc rod on a stillwater, possibly even lighter (I’m generalising as some will use much lighter for various reasons and some heavier but experience helps if doing so) and a reel with 15lb mono will see you right, it doesn’t have to be a baitrunner either as you can double a rubber band over the blank close to the handle and push a loop of line through it with the bale arm off which will do as good a job for the purposes of giving it a try.

If you’re deadbaiting, end gear will be a wire trace with 28lb seven strand being a common choice along with your choice of hooks and I would start off by float fishing as it’s more involving and easier to present the bait at different depths or hard on the deck and there’s very little left to interpretation with the take especially if you use loaded pencil deadbait floats when fishing on the bottom as they rely on being tightened right up to the bait in order to sit properly and the slightest movement by a pike will register whether it’s a run or a static pick up… easier and more positive I reckon than trying to interpret bleeps on an alarm until you build up more experience.

A large landing net, again ideally 36/42” should cover all your needs but whatever happens…

If in any doubt at all whether you’ve got a pick up strike!

Pike can be savage when they hit a bait and they can also be extremely subtle on occasions too, especially when they’ve been laying up for long periods in winter and the last thing that you ever want is a deep hooked fish so always hit any indication.

The very best of luck with it, I hope you manage to give it a go as it’s a very involving and interesting fish to target and worth seeking the guidance for your first couple of outing if you can.

I always forget something and have only touched on what I think would be a good and practical starting point so have a good trawl through the Predator Forum too, loads and loads of good advice and info in there and always consider the fish as the first priority and banking it the second.

pidgergj

Reaction score
fantastic reply Binka, thanks a lot.

There is just something intriguing about them, and i know there is a hell of a lot to mull over.

Gear wise, i have a couple of carp rods, i just need a suitable reel. The reels i have at present are all match reels so i will be on the lookout for a suitable one.
I think im going to take a drive down the lake when i get the chance, theres always guys fishing for the pike, and have a watch.

Again, thank you
Pidge