Mice as pike bait?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing that did emerge during my years of lure making, was that jointed surface lures scored heavily over the straight versions. And both types were given equal fishing time.

The commercially made ''Hawg Wobbler'' being a classic example. The wobble and click these jointed lures give out should never be under estimated. So much so that all my surface lures over the last 25 plus years have been jointed versions.

I think the more movement any lure has whether it be hard or soft lure or fly the more fish it will take. I have given other anglers trout lures that are killers in their original form very long tails they get pull after pull and then trim the tail and get nothing at all attraction is all in the movement you just have to ignore the pulls till they hit the lure.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup, predators love the "wiggle".

Here is a page of pics of another pattern that I have fished on occasion over the past thirty years - the Deerhair Frog

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...iP7Abgt4HgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=623

In 1980, when I first encountered the pattern in an American flytying book or magazine, I tied the fanned deerhair legs on the shanks of a pair of straight-eyed long-shank hooks from which the bend and point had been removed, then secured them to the rear of the hook on which the body was to be tied by way of Alasticum wire loops formed there so that the legs would articulate and move when the finished pattern was twitched on the surface. Today I would use lots of rubber legs, as these are deadly on both floating patterns and sunk streamer patterns like the Woolly Bu**er for all sorts of fish - pike, sea-trout, salmon, chub.

Oh, the things you get up to....

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup, predators love the "wiggle".

Here is a page of pics of another pattern that I have fished on occasion over the past thirty years - the Deerhair Frog

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...iP7Abgt4HgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=623

In 1980, when I first encountered the pattern in an American flytying book or magazine, I tied the fanned deerhair legs on the shanks of a pair of straight-eyed long-shank hooks from which the bend and point had been removed, then secured them to the rear of the hook on which the body was to be tied by way of Alasticum wire loops formed there so that the legs would articulate and move when the finished pattern was twitched on the surface. Today I would use lots of rubber legs, as these are deadly on both floating patterns and sunk streamer patterns like the Woolly Bu**er for all sorts of fish - pike, sea-trout, salmon, chub.

Oh, the things you get up to....

That is what the thinking angler does always looking to improve performance in everything they use. The buzz when it works is what keeps us going out in all weathers and conditions.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And there is another "Secret Weapon" that I have long used - these https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...hJDsBvL7gZAI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=623

The Americans call them Sculpins. We call a similar native fish, the Bullhead or Miller's Thumb - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/bullhead.jpg

Fished very deep and slow on a fast-sinking line, in rivers home and abroad, in daylight and in the dark, I have had some whacking fish - two breeds of large wild trout, pike, chub and a funster 6-pound barbel several years ago that was out in full view on a gravel shallow one afternoon and made me think "I wonder ... why not....?"

Sure beats follow-my-leaders braindeath.

P

pointngo

Lures that look like mice certainly work, but to me that doesn't necessarily mean that mice themselves would work hence why I asked.

I'd imagine that a real mouse wouldn't be that attractive to a pike, unless you can sight fish for them and cast/retrieve it near a fish. There's just not enough meat on them to give off any great attraction if it was just lying there imho.