Chew Reservoir

richiekelly

Reaction score
I have spent the last two days trying to book a couple of days on Chew res, the phone has been on constant redial all I ever get is the busy signal. anyone been lucky enough to get through? how long did it take you?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Send them a letter with a stamped address envelope you should get a answer.

Reaction score
I have spent the last two days trying to book a couple of days on Chew res, the phone has been on constant redial all I ever get is the busy signal. anyone been lucky enough to get through? how long did it take you?

Want a hand steering the boat mate?

I do steer better whilst trolling lures tho :)

gid

Reaction score
Don't mention that place to me..I live down the road and can't get in and us locals pay for the damn place.They should sell at leazst half the tickets to locals .

mick b

Reaction score
If I was running the pike fishing there I would do so using a lottery and use independent observers to oversee the fairness and security.
This would be fair to everyone who entered and be very cost effective.

I have administered something similar to Chew and problem is dealing with the few 'preferred guests' who need to be allocated places well before any applications are considered from normal anglers.
These people can sometimes be dealt with by using separate days specifically set aside for 'guests' but on a public place this can cause serious problems.
Its the way of the world unfortunately, because if the CEO or Chairman asks for a few days fishing who is going to risk the problems it would cause by telling them to 'ring the number like everyone else' ?

The problem for a fishery manager is that a lottery cannot be adjusted, when the numbers are drawn, thats it!

Sorry for all those have tried and failed, personally its never interested me being one of the gang, give me peace and solitude everytime.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
I thought the same about the lottery system Mick, clearly the system in place at the moment is no good. it doesn't surprise me though as I read somewhere that Natural England are involved in it.

I also thought about the fact that the same "names" always seem to manage to get on for however many days, I am not saying any skulduggery goes on but with this happening year on year it makes me suspicious.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought the same about the lottery system Mick, clearly the system in place at the moment is no good. it doesn't surprise me though as I read somewhere that Natural England are involved in it.

I also thought about the fact that the same "names" always seem to manage to get on for however many days, I am not saying any skulduggery goes on but with this happening year on year it makes me suspicious.

It is no more than what goes on at any prime water. If you have friends in the organisation the chances are you will be informed how and when to apply knowing the right people is always a big advantage in this world and always will be.

richiekelly

Reaction score
How and when to apply is available to anyone that looks at their website, its the get in the back door before anyone else applies that I am suspicious of.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How and when to apply is available to anyone that looks at their website, its the get in the back door before anyone else applies that I am suspicious of.

Some people know before it goes on the website it is that simple like getting in a good water certain people are always put in the picture before the vacancies are published that's the way it is. If you were involved with a water your friends would always be well informed would they not. People that are known are always better than those that are not . Whether it is fair or not is another matter but such is life.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Some people know before it goes on the website it is that simple like getting in a good water certain people are always put in the picture before the vacancies are published that's the way it is. If you were involved with a water your friends would always be well informed would they not. People that are known are always better than those that are not . Whether it is fair or not is another matter but such is life.

I would argue that "people that are known" are no better than anyone else.

No if I ran a water my friends would not be well informed before others.

Obviously some know the dates before they are on the website, the ones that put it on there for a start.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would argue that "people that are known" are no better than anyone else.

No if I ran a water my friends would not be well informed before others.

Obviously some know the dates before they are on the website, the ones that put it on there for a start.

You can argue all you like it is a fact whether you are applying for a job or membership of a club of any kind the first question asked is does anyone know of this person. The people that are known always have a advantage if their character suites.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I will, people that are "known" are NO better than me or anyone else for that matter, show me why these people that are "known" are better than anyone else.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will, people that are "known" are NO better than me or anyone else for that matter, show me why these people that are "known" are better than anyone else.

I do not know if you are a member of any clubs or syndicate waters. The ones that I belong to either have a vetting system were the individuals are interviewed or enquiries are made as the the persons character. If they are thought to not be the kind of people that will fit in with the way the club is run they do not get in. If persons are known by other members to be the right kind of person that suites the situation then they walk in with the minimum of fuss. When you run a fishery you will always get a few undesirables with known people what you see is what you get with those that are not known you may not find out till it is to late. One club that I did belong to you had to attend a pike teach in before you were allowed to fish for pike in there waters no matter who you were or how experienced.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Chew Valley is primarily a water reservoir, secondly a substantial nature reserve, thirdly a trout fishery and at the bottom of the list (as far as angling is concerned) a highly restricted pike fishery.

It just so happens that within those very restricted pike periods it has produced some stunning fish and is on the hit list of so many predator anglers.

The pike fishing concession is very, very low on Bristol Water's priority list, which in my opinion is quite right, and the allocation method is not going to change any time soon.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
I do not know if you are a member of any clubs or syndicate waters. The ones that I belong to either have a vetting system were the individuals are interviewed or enquiries are made as the the persons character. If they are thought to not be the kind of people that will fit in with the way the club is run they do not get in. If persons are known by other members to be the right kind of person that suites the situation then they walk in with the minimum of fuss. When you run a fishery you will always get a few undesirables with known people what you see is what you get with those that are not known you may not find out till it is to late. One club that I did belong to you had to attend a pike teach in before you were allowed to fish for pike in there waters no matter who you were or how experienced.

I repeat why are "known" people better than others???

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Chew Valley is primarily a water reservoir, secondly a substantial nature reserve, thirdly a trout fishery and at the bottom of the list (as far as angling is concerned) a highly restricted pike fishery.

It just so happens than within those very restricted pike periods it has produced some stunning fish and is on the hit list of so many predator anglers.

The pike fishing concession is very, very low on Bristol Water's priority list, which in my opinion is quite right, and the allocation method is not going to change any time soon.

I fear you are correct about the allocation method not changing Neil, pike anglers are just a source of income.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I repeat why are "known" people better than others???

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

I fear you are correct about the allocation method not changing Neil, pike anglers are just a source of income.

I have done my very best if you do not understand that is your problem I have made it as plain as I can.