Poseiden Dyneema green braid

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I heard a rumour last week that Whiplash braid will not be available in the UK for much longer. So I started looking around for a alternative Dyneema braid. I came up with a Dyneema braid called Poseiden on Amazon. It comes in 10 to 100 pound on 1000 metre spools I ordered 1000 metre of 40 pound price £27-94 pence post free. When the confirmation email came though I checked it and it says one spool of 40 pound green braid 1500 yards. I do not mind either will suite me at that price £27-94p . I will let you know what it is like when it comes. Has anyone tried this brand before The blurb says it is made by Power pro. Very cheap but worth a look see.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Powerpro is a brand name of Innovative Textiles Inc. For that reason, I'd be very wary of anything claiming to be made by Powerpro.

Powerpro counterfeit warning.

Looking at the slightly dodgy English of the Poseidon braid on Amazon, I'd guess it's coming out of China. However, that doesn't mean that your braid will be no good. There's a fair chance that it will come out of the same factory as some of the better known brand names.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Powerpro is a brand name of Innovative Textiles Inc. For that reason, I'd be very wary of anything claiming to be made by Powerpro.

Looking at the slightly dodgy English of the Poseidon braid on Amazon, I'd guess it's coming out of China. However, that doesn't mean that your braid will be no good. There's a fair chance that it will come out of the same factory as some of the better known brand names.

It does say on the site it is made in China and is marketed from there . But at that price it is worth a risk I think. I have about a 900 metres of Nanofil that I bought I bought in Germany when it first came out a couple of years ago cost me about 50 euro absolute rubbish . But we will see if it is no good I will use it for backing and my runner beans.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The line came by post this morning and first impressions are good a little thick at 0.324 mm for 40 pound but acceptable good colour a slightly darker green than whiplash. Tied up two identical lengths one whiplash 35 pound and Poseidon 40 pound figure of eight loop in both ends and gave it a pull test nether braid went at the knot and the Poseidon took significantly more pull than the 35 whiplash. The Poseidon braid is not as soft as whiplash or as smooth but it lays well not at all wiry and it knots extremely well with a simple Paloma . At a total cost of £27-90 post free for 1000 metres from Amazon I shall now send off for a spool of 30 pound 0. 234 mm which is a couple of pounds less at around £25. I am happy with the line will let you know how it fishes at a later date.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tiinkler,
Do yourself a favour mate and buy some discounted power pro from the guys at Harris Sportsmail! Good saving on the larger spools at the moment and you know you are buying a genuine product ;)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tiinkler,
Do yourself a favour mate and buy some discounted power pro from the guys at Harris Sportsmail! Good saving on the larger spools at the moment and you know you are buying a genuine product ;)

Not a fan of Power pro. I used it for a season in 2002 and did not get on with it. A couple of my friends swear by it but it is not for me. What ever you do never buy any Nanofil no matter how cheap it is definitely not to be trusted. Using what I call metal pigtails where there is no knot works but it still splits into its hundreds of fibres its make up. Thin slick casts like a dream but one big ???. The Poseidon is for my cat fishing so the thickness is not a problem. I normally use 35 Whiplash on 2.75 rods this set up has caught plenty of fish including two 70s from forty acre fishery in Essex.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Not a fan of Power pro. I used it for a season in 2002 and did not get on with it. A couple of my friends swear by it but it is not for me. What ever you do never buy any Nanofil no matter how cheap it is definitely not to be trusted. Using what I call metal pigtails where there is no knot works but it still splits into its hundreds of fibres its make up. Thin slick casts like a dream but one big ???. The Poseidon is for my cat fishing so the thickness is not a problem. I normally use 35 Whiplash on 2.75 rods this set up has caught plenty of fish including two 70s from forty acre fishery in Essex.

Just out of curiosity,nothing more, is there a specific reason you could not get on with ''Power Pro''.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity,nothing more, is there a specific reason you could not get on with ''Power Pro''.

Yes there was I have used many braids going back to the eighties the first was one called 49er that a friend bought me back from the USA. Then Slylcast braid when that became unavailable and my own supply run out I used a couple of American brands some spectra some dyneema. Then one of my friends who fishes around the world for all species said try power pro. I found it very pro wind knot and noticed what I can only describe as splinters of a dark semi hard nature within the braid . I bought the braid from my friends shop . I used it for a season and that was it. The splinters were getting on for four mm long and about half a mm thick. At first I thought that it was something I was picking up from the venue but I checked a second new spool and this had the in the braid as well . I did not buy anymore and went onto whiplash which I have used ever since. The period when I was using it was about 2001/2.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes there was I have used many braids going back to the eighties the first was one called 49er that a friend bought me back from the USA. Then Slylcast braid when that became unavailable and my own supply run out I used a couple of American brands some spectra some dyneema. Then one of my friends who fishes around the world for all species said try power pro. I found it very pro wind knot and noticed what I can only describe as splinters of a dark semi hard nature within the braid . I bought the braid from my friends shop . I used it for a season and that was it. The splinters were getting on for four mm long and about half a mm thick. At first I thought that it was something I was picking up from the venue but I checked a second new spool and this had the in the braid as well . I did not buy anymore and went onto whiplash which I have used ever since. The period when I was using it was about 2001/2.

Thank's for the explanation. Though I confess I've never noticed any splinter's in the braid you mention. Had I, like you I would have had reservations.

nicepix

Reaction score

More here: Paulus Just Fishing

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank's for the explanation. Though I confess I've never noticed any splinter's in the braid you mention. Had I, like you I would have had reservations.

When I was spooling up sometimes I would feel a sort of expansion for a moment maybe it was a quality control problem I do not know . I never had any breakages with the line or anything like that. I used it for micro backing on my small fly reels.