Big pike are not hard to catch

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Big pike are not hard to catch, just hard to locate. Lest anyone still believes that old chestnut. The real difficulty with bigger pike is to pin them down, in short ''location''. There are fortunately from the anglers point of view several ways this can be done. Match reports, tip offs from the weighing in guys, or tapping into the grapevine, although this approach usually means the cream of the fishing has already been had, by the time anyone is able to take advantage. But the one that I personally adopt is ''mobile lure fishing'', for this, polaroid glasses are an essential bit of kit. Just how much will become evident after only a few trips.

It goes without saying that whatever approach is used there is the need to establish the presence of big pike. Much easier to do in rivers, drains, or canals, gather the nessesary info, get off your arse and find em. Once having found em or it, the're not hard to catch, trust me!!

I'm assuming throughout you have adequate gear. And be aware the time is fast approaching for some of the best pike action- be prepared.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Derek have you done that book yet?Come on mate, I'll buy it. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I'm getting so excited it's unreal! I've spent a fortune on stuff and now we are finally ready for it.

I've found a few during the summer whilst silvering.....

Good luck to all.

W

Wolfman Woody

Clearly a man that speaks with the inexperience of having fished with Kevin Perkins.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Steve, I've every faith in the Spiller team. You have already made progress by being aware of what's happening around you. ''Found a few''.

Keep me posted mate.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Will do Derek, hopefully the "Team" will stumble across some big girls this year. We've moved away from the usual spots and put in some leg work, but that's what it's all about.

Good luck to you too mate.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Having two lovely locations for pike at my disposal this winter I will be having a bash for some of the big girls this season, I have located large pike at britford and I have a ticket for marston lake which is stuffed full of pike. There are so many jacks that the Baliff has told me I can even use jacks as live bait for the bigger pike!( I am not a fan of live baiting but I might give it a try ).

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Mithrandir, you have solved the first step in the hunt for big pike. Unfortunately I predict that in naming waters as you have, you may find that you have more company than you may wish.

It might have been prudent to have had a few visits before giving it all away on a plate!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
One is a syndicate water, and the other is well known, so i do not mind naming them.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

During the autumn/winter periods of 1999 to 2003, both myself and the late Eric Hodson fished a rather well known pike water and caught in that period over 300 pike between the two of us, not one of those pike was less than 14lbs. Most went 17 to 19 lbs and there were over 30 of thesefish that went 20 lbs plus.

During that period we saw only two other keen pikers on the water and we four agreed that nothing would be mentioned to the angling press or to other anglers for that matter regarding our catches.

In March 2003, we decided that we had had enough.

I have still a large number of photos of what we caught and there were no doubt some re-captures. But at the end of the day we decided to leave big those pike in peace.

I sincerely hope that if you do catch your big pike at B******d, you never breath a word of it, otherwise expect that lovely stretch of the Avon to be invaded with egocentric piking luminaries, with multi-rods, bivvies and up to 3 deadbaits per man.

I shudder to see such a picture.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
by big I mean around the 20lb mark, the circus would not be interested in them, but I would. The wallies that go hunting big fish they hear of on the internet would not have the patience to spend months walking the 15 miles of bank and finding where an odd 20 lives.

They want the swim and the bait so they can grab a "big fish", not the fun of fishing a river and getting to know the haunts and habits of fish you want to target in the winter.

There seems to be a lot of paranoia about the circus descending, yes it has happened to some waters because of record fish, but what happened to anglers talking to anglers, sharing experience and tales of fish?

I have always shared my catches and venues, and will continue to do so, I am not a specimen hunter, I fish for enjoyment, and I fish waters where a relative novice like myself can gain some good sport.

I have found the waters I fish by searching the net and asking in tackle shops, any of the " Secret Squirrel Club" venues I have attended I have remained silent about venue to respect the wishes of the person who invited me.

Each to their own I suppose.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Make no mistake, a plethora of 20 pound fish will attract the luminaries. After all they are dependant on catching lots of fish to maintain their sponsorships.

30 pound fish are exceedingly rare.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Depends on the sort of water it resides in. A 30 pounder in a trout reservoir is likely to be a lot younger than a 30 pounder in a fenland drain or a river.

But I guess you are looking at anything between 14 and 25 years.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That is why fish over 20 pounds are so rare. Forget the 30s; to most anglerssuch fishare pie-in-the-sky.

Greg Matthews

Reaction score
derek

could you give us a run down of the type of tackle you use for lure fishing do you use braid.multipliers etc.do you have faith in particular lures.do you ever natural baits instead of lures.do you fish with different lures at different times of the year.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Greg, in answer to your question, I almost always use the same rod, it's a six foot two inch jerkbaiter made for me by Calibre Tackle some ten years ago. Sadly they are no longer available. The reel is a multiplier ''Shimano Curado'', for my lure fishing I never use anything else. Line is Power Pro in fifty pounds B.S.

Yes I have absolute faith in the selection of lures I tend to carry. What tends to surprise most people when fishing with me is the size of my lures. I suppose the smallest lure I use are the eight inch Replicants.I have occasionally wobbled natural baits.

I don't change lures through the season, having discovered many years ago that winning lures remain so for prolonged periods. Always providing you alternate venues on a regular basis, and don't hammer waters relentlessly. As for lures I have already mentioned Replicants, others would be spinnerbaits, those I consider must have lures. Large Creek Chub Pikies, neutral density Glide Baits, surface lures, and a whole host of large plastics. Hope this helps Greg, any queries feel free to P.M. me mate- good luck.

Greg Matthews

Reaction score
ok derek.plastic lures what do you use and why such big baits.spinner baits do you use them in large sizes like 2oz/3oz.do you use shads/twintails.do you use big spoons.do you use salmo lures.i would presume that large lures have been most succesfull for you over the years.do you feel that they catch you better quality fish as opposed to small lures.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Clearly a man that speaks with the inexperience of having fished with Kevin Perkins.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Jeff

An angler of Derek's standing would be an ideal candidate to take pity on a long term resident of the Home for Bewildered and Confused Anglers. I'll sitby the letterbox andawait his invitation to take me outto locate and catch pike.

Matron says she will bring me a hot water bottle and a blanket to put round my legs while I wait by the door for the post. She says I might be here waiting for some time...........

Tanis Half Elven

Reaction score
Anyone done any good with trotting dead baits?The crayfish problem last weekend was a pain with the bait fished on the bottom.

It's frowned upon on one club water I fish to use livebaits.