Which multiplier?

John Greenwood

Reaction score
Hello there.

I have just bought a 6' Jerk rod with pistol grip and I'm needing advise on buying a miltiplier reel. I've never used one before, and don't have any idea on which to start out with. Can anyone advise?

Cheers

W

Wolfman Woody

Pistol grips demand low profile multipliers.

A stand-up type like Abu 5000s just don't work and you'll tire out your wrist.

Look for something like a Shimano Curado
15448.jpg

You can see how about 1/3 rd of the winding mechanics sits below the reel seat of the rod. This makes it far more comfortable to hold and thumb the spool etc.

Look for branded names, Daiwa, Shimano, even these Quantums are good if you can find them
QCDR.JPG

You may have to look a fair bit on Ebay. Watch for the sellers though an ddon;t go jumping in with a bid until you know what you are bidding for.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, I meant the Shimano Citica, a lot cheaper than the Curado, but if you have the money ......
738.jpg

Nathan

Reaction score
When using a multiplier reel do you find braid or mono better? I use braid for all my lure fishing but i was a bit concerned that braid on a multiplier would need to be quite thick to stop wind knots

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
For jerkbaiting the lack of stretch in braidmakes it much easier to get the correct action in the lures. Unfortunately you do need to up the B/S to avoid crack offs. I have 40lb powerpro on my medium outfit and 80lb on my heavy jerkbait outfit. I know it sounds excessive but the diameter isabout the same as 20lbmono and it means you get your lures back if they snag!

Nathan

Reaction score
I currently use 30lb Berkley Whiplash Proon my fixed spool reel for light - medium lures, its a great line but I tend to get a few wind knots every now & then. I'd like to get a multiplier for the winter pike session so can i use the same brand of line in a higher breaking strain or would you recommend something else?

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I got power pro a couple of years ago on the recommendation of many on the pike and predators forumand have had no problems with it whatsoever. I have not used Whiplash so cannot comment

Colin Brett

Reaction score
If you are using big jerkbaits you need a 5500 or 5501 or even a 6500/1

Those little toy-town reels shown earlier are for little lures /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif not man size ones /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Heavy braid 80 or 100lb for big jerkbaits as well.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I use a Shimano Calcutta with a Jerkbait rod and it works a treat with 50lbs Powerpro braid. Derek uses a Shimano Curado with greateffect on some of the biggest lures you have ever seen.

And lands a plethora of the biggest pike you have ever seen too.

W

Wolfman Woody

Colin Brett wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

If you are using big jerkbaits you need a 5500 or 5501 or even a 6500/1

Those little toy-town reels shown earlier are for little lures /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif not man size ones /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Heavy braid 80 or 100lb for big jerkbaits as well. </blockquote>

"Toy-town reels"? Cheeky sod!

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

I was casting lures up to 60 grams with that little Daiwa Procaster. A reel is merely for the storing of line not in use and for delivering that line when required on the cast. Big is NOT beautiful and less is more - sometimes.

80 - 100 lbs? You'd best read my article on crack-offs when Graham publishes it. 50 lbs is ample, unless you're after marlin or something like.

-----------------------------------

A nice multpilier/baitcasting reel on a baitcasting rod is a superb piece of kit. Used sensibly you could land King Kong with a small multiplier.

I will agree that the Procaster and Citica are not suitable for jerk bait lures (3-6ozs maybe) but then the original question asked about a reel for a jerk rod with a pistol grip. A true heavy jerk rod would not have a pistol grip so it's more likely the rod is a much simpler casting rod for medium lures.

It would break your wrist otherwise.

W

Wolfman Woody

My latest toy
/members/images/6812/Gallery/Quantum-Tour-Burner.jpg

Loaded with 50lbs Sufix Performance and 7.0-1 ratio, the Quantum Tour Burner.

Casts like a dream once you have the settings right. I'm fortunate in that my daughter lives in California and brings them over for me. This one was from a Cabelas store.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Woody,i have a Normark-Gord Burton-7ft-"Hog Buster"-Jerkbait rod.It`s good for lures between 1.5-3.5oz.

I have never used a low profile or multiplier reel in my life andaint really got a clue what toteam it up with.....any suggestions???

W

Wolfman Woody

If I remember it, Nick, it has a straight handle with the usual trigger, so I would team it with an Abu 5000c or 6000c. It's about the same as my Fox Special lure rod and that's 7ft.

It's the tallest here with the Powerpro Phantom red line
inspinp42.jpg

I don't think a low-profile one would suit a heavy rod.

M

MarkTheSpark

Jeff. I want to have babies with your Quantum. Is it as good as it looks?

M

MarkTheSpark

BTW, I bought a spool of Powerpro and it arrived today. It's a bit wiry - a bit like Fireline, which I found was pants on a multiplier. Reassure me I haven't wasted my dough...