It's pole fishing Jim. But not as we know it

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That is interesting. when I worked in Paris I would often go down to the river to watch anglers using all sorts of methods from light pole tactics to the full-on Carp set up with alarms and rod pods.

I often saw the odd catfish being landed but only ever really small ones and usually to the Carp boys on huge boilies.

As for myself I never bothered with the Seine preferring to take a weekend drive to the River Iton to fly fish for the excellent Grayling there and enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside.

nicepix

Reaction score
That is interesting. when I worked in Paris I would often go down to the river to watch anglers using all sorts of methods from light pole tactics to the full-on Carp set up with alarms and rod pods.

I often saw the odd catfish being landed but only ever really small ones and usually to the Carp boys on huge boilies.

As for myself I never bothered with the Seine preferring to take a weekend drive to the River Iton to fly fish for the excellent Grayling there and enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside.

I suppose it is horses for courses Peter. I enjoy peace and solitude but also am fascinated by the challenges of urban fishing. I do both and can take equal pleasure from catching crucians and mullet in a town centre canal as well as exploring virgin territory out in the sticks.

If you have time to read his other posts there are some interesting pieces of info' to be gleaned. I mean; just how many huge catfish must there be in rivers such as the Seine if he's getting so many in such a relatively small area and time frame? His methods of locating fish are also worthy of a good read.

john step

Reaction score
Reference to previous threads about cats in UK rivers. The Seine is not that far South re breeding etc. This could be the future here?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the anglers that I spoke to in Paris told me that the Seine, in the City stretches, was crammed with Catfish.

As I am not at all interested in them I never bothered, but I did have a couple of sessions on the pole for silver fish which were abundant.

The weekends on the Iton I cherished, particularly at this time of the year, as it was not only lovely chalk stream fishing but also some wonderful lodgings and great food as well, so after a long and difficult week in the City is was terrific to get away from it all.

Come to think of it I wouldn't say "no" to another project back in Paris at all.

nicepix

Reaction score
Reference to previous threads about cats in UK rivers. The Seine is not that far South re breeding etc. This could be the future here?

Looking at the blogs he started fishing in June when the water temp' was 16C. That is not far off what John Conway records on the Ribble in June / July.