Top 3 lures

flatsfishing

Reaction score
This may have been done before but could still be interesting.

I am huge fan of lure fishing and travelling light - just a rod&reel, net, unhooking mat and gear and then a pocket full of lures.

If you were on an outing on your favourite water (mine being river piking) and could only take 3 lures, what would you take?

My 3 would have to be:

• Kopyto Relax 4" shad
  • Big Hammer 3" shad
  • a big old spinnerbait that I don't know the name of

between those three I can have a good session with pike, perch and zander.

Obvioulsy I still end up taking 60plus lures with me haha!

B

binka

I only really got into the lure side of things in any seriousness around eighteen months ago and it's been a bit of an on/off thing sine then for me but mine would be:

Sebile Magic Swimmer

Mepps Aglia

Savage Gear Larvae (great swimming action and wiggle)

Edited: Sorry, got me Sebile & Salmo mixed up

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My choices would be, based on results over many years.

1- Spinnerbait, (indispensable to me).

2- Castaic, (slow sink version, large size).

3- Creek chub Pikey, (Large wooden version)

The above have provided me with some spectacular fish over the years.

symonh2000

Reaction score
1. Mepps Aglia, size 2-3 seems to catch anything
2. Some form fish imitation, hard or soft
3. Shakespeare Big S.

Personally I have never had much joy with Spinner baits. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

terry m

Reaction score
1. Mepps Aglia No0 5 (Large)
2. Storm Pro 6" Jack Pike soft lure.
3. Arborgast Jitterbug in the summer. Give your heart a workout!!

I really need to try spinnerbaits. I must confess I have never tried them. It's a mental block/confidence thing, though I have vowed to give them a go this winter.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Spinner baits are brilliant, almost weedless and you can be really lazy and just constant retreive will still bank fish. I have 5 coming from that famous auction site from china so will see whether they are up to the job.

I have really got into my soft baits this year though, in the last 8 days have had 20 pike (and lost two well over 20), 2 zander and 5 perch on either kopyto or big hammer.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Has anyone got any links to some decent spinner baits?

The ones in my local shop are tiny and the last one I had the blade came off after a few casts. :mad:

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Has anyone got any links to some decent spinner baits?

The ones in my local shop are tiny and the last one I had the blade came off after a few casts. :mad:

Bomber Bushwacker is a good start, i cant find any links apart from on eBay

mick b

Reaction score
Just getting back into this obsessive branch of our sport :eek:mg:

Before this year my goto three would be;

Cisco Kid 600 - middle hook removed others replaced with size 4s.
Bucher Depth Raider - lip modified to run slow and shallow.
Voblex - largest available

Trying at present to make a couple of megga sized spinnerbaits (aka 8-10" wide :eek:mg:)

Does anyone on here use 'Mike the Pike' ?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Strange the differences Mick. I had some of the first ''Depth Raiders'',(definately bomb proof), and felt the need to cut the lips down as I didn't fish any waters of great depth at that time. And despite giving them a good whirl I just couldn't get much action on them, but I don't know why. What I do know is that a quick change to one of my own tried and tested creations produced the goods, and I ended up passing my modified depth raiders onto the Piking Pirate, strange but true.

But again this is one of the intriguing aspects of lure fishing. Another example, the ''Rapala'' Super Shad Rap, now there's a lure that looks as fishy as can be. Years ago I invested in a number, were they deadly for me, no, in contrast, others tell me they have had success with them.

Ain't it a fascinating branch of the sport, love it.

mick b

Reaction score
Strange the differences Mick. I had some of the first ''Depth Raiders'',(definately bomb proof), and felt the need to cut the lips down as I didn't fish any waters of great depth at that time. And despite giving them a good whirl I just couldn't get much action on them, but I don't know why. What I do know is that a quick change to one of my own tried and tested creations produced the goods, and I ended up passing my modified depth raiders onto the Piking Pirate, strange but true.

But again this is one of the intriguing aspects of lure fishing. Another example, the ''Rapala'' Super Shad Rap, now there's a lure that looks as fishy as can be. Years ago I invested in a number, were they deadly for me, no, in contrast, others tell me they have had success with them.

Ain't it a fascinating branch of the sport, love it.

Ah the beloved Rapala Shad Rap in Crawdad.......took my first from Grapham on one of those, 16 something, mind you it had a 4' of nylon and 1oz drop lead attached to its nose :D
Well how are we to get down around beside that tower without it :wh

Overall it was the CK 600 that did the real damage.

Try as I might I just couldn't get the hang of dragging a 6" copper spoon around and hoping, even tho a journo pulled in in 20 on the other boat.....but then again it was a woman on the rod.....grrrrrrrr :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm not a regular lure chucker, but I like the Bomber spinnerbaits. Mepps spoons have always been reliable - the bigger the better. My all time favourite is a Rapala-style 4" plug, faded to white and covered in teethmarks, that I found on the bankside years ago, denuded of trebles and looking decidedly forlorn. It has always been an efficient fish-catcher. I bought several of similar design in all the colours of the rainbow but it's always the ratty old one that does the business.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
I actually think that the angler's own confidence in the lure makes a lot more difference that people realise...

Just think, you are fishing with a new lure that you haven't caught on yet and you are not sure about it, you switch to an old faithful and then your anticipation of a pull on that lure is heightened and therefore you concentrate more on fishing it properly et voila...old faithful lands another fish.

I am sure we all do this to some extent.

In my last session I was fishing new style of soft lure which I had not used before and my confidence was waining, changed to a lure which I knew had caught earlier that week and bang...fish first cast - but I am sure some element of that is related to my confidence which is then transmitted into how I work the lure.

Until this season I had very little confidence in soft baits...since the start of October I have caught 25 predators on soft baits now and so I now love them and leave all the expensive plugs and rapalas at home...

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've banged on about this confidence thing with lure fishing on here since day one, and it figures prominently on many of my threads and posts, so I understand where you're coming from. And yet I do believe there are bogey lures, though I can offer no logical explanation for it. Take the guys who claim not to be able to catch on SBs, some of them confess to having little experience of them, so confidence may well be the culprit here. It may well be our ''own'' comfort zone, ''The banker lure''.

Come to think of it, it may be an age thing, I have a couple of regular companions who are both of advanced years in lure fishing and one or the other of us can often be heard saying on a bitter cold winters day in the depths of Fenland, I haven't come out for casting practice or lure testing, I've come out to catch. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

dnahacker

Reaction score
1. Savage gear 4play soft in various colours and sizes

2. Ondex spinners...

3. Savage gear 3d prey...

steve4849

Reaction score
I haven't really got a top 3 but i have a top 1.
The shakespear big s. When you pull it hard through the water you feel the vibrations through your feet! Canal pike love it!