Reel advice

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi
I was hoping to get opinions on something, I was bought a diawa crossfire 3000 FD by my kids last Christmas for doing a bit of lure fishing... I used it a whole 5 times and it is shot... The rotor has 1/4 inch of wobble in it and it grinds liikje it is full of broken glass... The tackle shop has been great and offered me a full refund... I asked for credit against a new reel.... Having a look through his catalogs I am torn between two reels, one is the shimano exage 3000 fc, the other is the fox ultron 3000... My head tells me the shimano .. The brand is the gold standard, the make their own stuff, being shimano the gearing will be spot on....... The ultron probably isnt made by fox but it has caught my eye...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I invariably favour Shimano reels. However, despite your tale of woe, I'd have a Daiwa over a Fox reel every time. That's not me having a downer on all Fox gear, just being very wary of their reels.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming what I already knew deep down...... I think it was the bling look of the exage v s the stealth bomber good looks of the ultron I was struggling with... I am sure the shimano will be the best option long term.

Terry D

Reaction score
Whilst I've been a Shimano fan for many years and have several models, some quite expensive, my last 4 purchases were Daiwa reels and I've been very pleased with them.

sagalout

Reaction score
Having tried fox, ouma and shakespeare reels I only buy shimano or penn now. I have an exage 1000 front drag and it is absolutely spiffing old chap.