Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reels for Drop Shotting

I'm going to have a go at Drop Shot Fishing for Perch, could someone recommend a decent Fixed Spool at reasonable price to match an 8ft 5to12g drop shot rod.

Thanks Bob

Default Re: Reels for Drop Shotting

That depends on what you call a reasnable price Bob. I's say the shimano stradic ST 2500 FJ will be ideal for the job. There's lots of other cheaper one's out there though.

binka Guest

I've literally just received this little fella today which I bought for drop shotting worms for perch, it's an American import (but bought in the UK) and I intend it strictly for the ultra light rod set up and it feels a really smooth, solid reel with a decent front drag for £30 inc. p&p.

Maximum drag pressure is around 4 1/2lbs, it's a Daiwa too and balances perfectly on the rod...

Edited to add: In the upper price bracket have a look at the Shimano Symetre 500, cracking little reel although I might be getting carried away with the idea that you want a small compact when you might not, target price £75 - £95.
    Last edited by binka; 20-11-2014 at 18:47.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Not sure I'm convinced by these tiny little reels. Any decent front drag f/s reel in a 2500/3000 size would be fine. I have an 8 ft dropshot rod and I use that with a Daiwa Exceler that I already had. Honestly didn't feel the need to buy another reel just for dropshotting.

I probably will eventually though...they do look very cute !

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Honestly didn't feel the need to buy another reel just for dropshotting.

I probably will eventually though...they do look very cute !
    Just don't pick one up Skip, you'll not stop thinking about it until you get one if you do.

I held out for all of four days

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    Just don't pick one up Skip, you'll not stop thinking about it until you get one if you do.

Wait till you start on baitcasters
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

I picked up one of the Fox Drop Shot reels and it felt okay.

Has any one got any experience with these reels ?

The rod is a Korum twin tip drop shot.

Thanks

Bob

---------- Post added at 03:38 ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 ----------

I've literally just received this little fella today which I bought for drop shotting worms for perch, it's an American import (but bought in the UK) and I intend it strictly for the ultra light rod set up and it feels a really smooth, solid reel with a decent front drag for £30 inc. p&p.

Maximum drag pressure is around 4 1/2lbs, it's a Daiwa too and balances perfectly on the rod...

Edited to add: In the upper price bracket have a look at the Shimano Symetre 500, cracking little reel although I might be getting carried away with the idea that you want a small compact when you might not, target price £75 - £95.
    binka

Could you give us a hint as to the model number and who you got the reel from please !!

PM would be fine.

Thanks

Bob

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I have had a turn or two of some very dinky little jobs but they are just a tad too "blingy" for me and dont do anything that reels I already had [and dont use much] wouldn't do....so I left them where they were.

I had a 1000 size reel once...seemed like a good idea but I really didn't get on with the narrow spool & associated problems with line bedding in. It was a Shimano too & had a double handle....I think that was the start of my crusade against them.

Provided you avoid the real junk end of the market any half decent f/s reel will do the job....depending on how much hammer its likely to get. Not much in my case.

Is this the seller Binka.....

DAIWA CROSSFIRE 500-3Bi Spinning Fishing Reel 2/4/6lb Line | eBay

I like the look of these okumas he has....

OKUMA MISTIQUE MQ15 Saltwater Spinning Reel | eBay

He has them in a couple of the slightly larger sizes also.

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Yep that's the one Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    binka

Could you give us a hint as to the model number and who you got the reel from please !!

PM would be fine.

Thanks

Bob
    Bob... please see as per above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast