Drop Shot Lures

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
From what I have read, the colour of the lures for drop shotting does not seem to matter, it appears that the action of the lure is far more important ?

Would those who have tried this method agree or is there an outstanding lure ?

Could someone recommend a good starting lure for drop shotting on canals (Lea Navigation).

Oh and does the depth of the water affect the action of the lures.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

B

binka

I can't see the variation in depths that we're likely to encounter having much of an effect on the lure if you're using braid as you're in such direct contact, that's not to say it wouldn't at extremes... Might be completely wrong though, just my opinion.

I've been making do with, amongst other things, the Savage Gear soft bodies in the smallest two sizes which I think are 72mm and 90mm, I originally bought them for mounting on jig heads and initially caught some good fish but also found I lost far too many.

One pattern that did stand out as catching more perch than any others and I've heard it said of perch before was a green colour which iirc was their "rainbow smolt".

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and does the depth of the water affect the action of the lures.

That is an interesting question Bob, but I would be more inclined to think that the choice of line type might affect the lures action more than depth?

Given a non stretch braid then you are always in contact with the lure so your rod tip actions are directly translated to the lure.

On the other hand however, a line that had up to say 20% stretch factor will absorb much of your rod tip action and so negatively affect the lure, in comparison to a braid line that is.

Erm, I think . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks all, for the input, I'm finding this drop shot lark, really interesting.

Bob

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Has any one seen or used the Korum drop shot kits ?

I have no idea if they are any good, but I thought they might be a decent starting point ?

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bob, to keep the action 'right' I would use approximately 1gm of weight for every 1' of depth - also a real lob can work very well using the same action. I would also agree with Neil on the choice of the Fox micro fry.............

chris hall

Reaction score
Lurefactors.co.uk do some good gear at reasonable prices, and the micro fry (60mm long) in silver caught me 12 perch in one session, they would not touch anything else. I impart very little movement into the lure with the rod as the lures seem to do the work themselves, Braid is a must though, with a flourocarbon leader of about 4 foot long. I use a small swivel on my rigs just to take the line twist out as the lures tend to spiral when dropped into deep water. Also match your hook to the lure, biggest hook I use is a size four hoked through the nose of the lure.
Chris.

laguna

Reaction score
I gently jig and sway the rod tip from side to side in a wavy up and down motion in the margins... the amount of arc covered needs to be increased the deeper I'm fishing as the length of the rod (mines 6ft) translates least from the tip in deeper water so you might want to consider this. Also bear in mind the lead should be just touching bottom without being lifted.

I use 50mm custom made worm lures and a little green frog with spots on bought from Ebay.

IMO colour does matter along with the action of the rod tip and lure. Little green worms with a bright red tail seems to be working best in 4-6ft of water during daylight hours and a yellow one with a white tip at dusk.

Braid because the tip action translates well due to zero stretch.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks lads,

Do you use Fluorocarbon to the weight if you are using the swivel with hook attached ?

Or can you just use mono down to the lead ?

Bob

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks lads,

Do you use Fluorocarbon to the weight if you are using the swivel with hook attached ?

Or can you just use mono down to the lead ?

Bob
like this you mean?
0414-12551.jpg

You can yes because the hook is on braid