Alka Seltzer?

medway man

Reaction score
I read in a magazine a couple of weeks ago about putting alka seltzer tablets in deadbaits to make them fizz and twitch in the water. Anyone tried it?

Sounded a bit silly to me but the more I think about it the more I think it could work.

B

binka

This was briefly mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago from this article here:

Bainton Fisheries

Can't say I've tried it myself and not sure if I can see the need to be honest as you can make a bait twitch without stuffing an Alka Seltzer inside it but each to their own and just my opinion.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Dont be discouraged MM, I seem to recall Eddie turner experimentig with that very idea many years ago, if the idea intringues you follow it up mate proves your thinking about your fishing.

thecrow

Reaction score
I read in a magazine a couple of weeks ago about putting alka seltzer tablets in deadbaits to make them fizz and twitch in the water. Anyone tried it?

Sounded a bit silly to me but the more I think about it the more I think it could work.

Anything that could attract a Pikes attention cant be a bad thing, it might help it might not but it will do no harm that's for sure, I for one would be interested to know if you have tried it and your results.

medway man

Reaction score
Ill definitely try it. Im thinking about using a small bait like a sprat so it moves about a lot.

greenie62

Reaction score
Ill definitely try it. Im thinking about using a small bait like a sprat so it moves about a lot.

The other 'additive' to try is a short piece of poly-foam shoved down it's gob to cause it to float up a bit and make the bubbling seltzer even more effective - don't try this on yourself at home - it don't work on humans out of water! :eek::D

dnahacker

Reaction score
What an irresponsible idea, LD50 for aspirin have been reported as low as 150mg per kg, in mammalian systems, the ADME (absorbtion, distribution, metabolism, excretion) profile of a fish which is hetrothermic will be much slower thus making the toxicity much greater, in the case of a bait being lost and ingested this could easily kill a fish or even kill a fish that eats a fish that was killed by eating a deadbait that someone stuffed with medication... .

i wonder sometimes, i really do...

greenie62

Reaction score
What an irresponsible idea, LD50 for aspirin have been reported as low as 150mg per kg, in mammalian systems, the ADME (absorbtion, distribution, metabolism, excretion) profile of a fish which is hetrothermic will be much slower thus making the toxicity much greater, in the case of a bait being lost and ingested this could easily kill a fish or even kill a fish that eats a fish that was killed by eating a deadbait that someone stuffed with medication......

You are quite right having a dig at Alka Seltzer - the thread title should have been Steradent :eek:

B

binka

What an irresponsible idea, LD50 for aspirin have been reported as low as 150mg per kg, in mammalian systems, the ADME (absorbtion, distribution, metabolism, excretion) profile of a fish which is hetrothermic will be much slower thus making the toxicity much greater, in the case of a bait being lost and ingested this could easily kill a fish or even kill a fish that eats a fish that was killed by eating a deadbait that someone stuffed with medication... .

i wonder sometimes, i really do...

You have just confirmed part of my reluctance.

I've said in another thread that it's not something I would be willing to try, this is partly because I suspected there might be harmful effects or trace elements left in a deadbait long after the tablet had dissolved but without the information to back it up it was only a suspicion, if what you say is correct then that would seem a justified decision.

Partly too because I can't imagine the effect of an Alker Seltzer lasting more than a minute or so at best and as I said earlier you can make a bait twitch without having to stuff an Alker Seltzer in it.

BarryC

Reaction score
The other 'additive' to try is a short piece of poly-foam shoved down it's gob to cause it to float up a bit and make the bubbling seltzer even more effective - don't try this on yourself at home - it don't work on humans out of water!

No No No
If you lose a bait that is picked up and eaten by a pike a gutfull of polystyrene will not aid it's digestion one bit.
Any popup device should be securely attatched to the hooks/trace with wire to keep it as safe as possible.

greenie62

Reaction score
No No No
If you lose a bait that is picked up and eaten by a pike a gutfull of polystyrene will not aid it's digestion one bit.
Any popup device should be securely attatched to the hooks/trace with wire to keep it as safe as possible.

Thank you for the H&S advice.

law

Reaction score
Im sure I read about someone experimenting with popping candy in spod mixes a while ago.
Thats probably a safer option!