A father and son thing.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
My dad taught myself and my brother adrian how to fish and now it`s time i showed my youngest lad jake,how it`s done.

The mrs suggested i should get him some fishing tackle for christmas so he can accompany me on the odd occasion.I sat long and hard,thinking over it and decided to get him a lure set up.My main reason being that it`s basicaly an all year round thing,plus there is lots to keep him occupied.....constant casting,working the lure and lure choice etc....

I will of course be with him whenever he goes,to teach him the ropes etc.... and his ownsafety and the fishes welfare will be well looked after.

His rod arrived this morning.....it`s a ron thompson 7ft one (15-40g),with quite a slim and lightweight blank.I am gonna buy him some single hook shad type luresby storm or tempest to use because i feel they`re more user friendly for a beginner.When hegets going and gets really confident etc.... we can move onto plugs and all things with trebles on them.

I reckon this should make a good article /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
How old is your lad Nick? only reason I ask is I learned with a rod after sticks but I now think a short pole for margin work is definatly the way to go if you want to catch the lad some fish and keep him interested.It most certainly catches plenty of fish even in the hands of a nipper,just a thought.

arveey

Reaction score
I wish mine had done the same Mike. I only got into fishing in my early 20's! Well gutted with what i could have missed out on! Plenty more to look forward too though! /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Mark
www.pikeandperch.co.uk

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I took my kids (boy 7 and girl 10) lure fishing last weekend.While they have really enjoyed "normal" fishing (both have had carp to low doubles) they loved lure fishing because (a) we were rovingrather than staying in one place and (b) you never knew whether this cast you would get a croc! I've been helping with casting where necessary but they can't wait to go again. Small jacks so far but even a small pike is very exciting to a 7 year old (and his dad and sister!). When they first started (age 4 and 7)I got them 3m whips to avoid the fun of tangles.

Enjoy

Steve

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Hi Nick, I`m sure it will be the best pressy under the tree and would surely lure him in to the Art of angling. It wasnt a christmas pressy for me but a bitrthday one"cheers Dad and Mum".It was a 10ft fibre glass float rod starter kit, I was 10 or 11 it was along time ago 17 yrs, I`m sure my Dad will correct me if i`m wrong. It was the start of my "passion to fish" which is still my main passion today, rain sun hail and gales, not so much the snow but I`m fishing when ever I can, much to the disaprovel of the missus but I`ve now persuaded her to join me on my fishing session, which she quite enjoyes,Bonus. Father and sonfishing trips have to be the best ones, unfortunatly not for my Dad as all the fish seem to want my bait and not his, one great example was when we were on the cut off channel piking we were in the same swim with 2 rods each, same bait andset ups but in 2.5 hours I had 3 Zander 11lb 12lb 13lb and a jack pike of 6lb or so and myDad had nowt not even a bite.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
He`s 12 years old and a real hunk of humanity....just like dad /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I did think about the commercial fishery type thing gav and will probably introduce him to that in the summer months ???

Like i have previously mentioned,when lure fishing you are constantly doing something....winding,casting and then there is lure selection and moving from swim to swim.

Ofcourse there is the chance of going out and catching bugger all.I was out last saturday morning for a few hours after my night shift and had nothing but there is no guarrantees in angling.

I`m sure he will catch a 10lbs pike before me though.