Drop shotting

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying my first drop shot rod, with the Fox Rage Ultron rod being the rod I'm considering buying! Can any of you gents in the know speak for or against this choice and recommended an alternative? I'm completely new to this method and style of fishing, what should I know and not know about it?

Thanks in advance

Colin

laguna

Reaction score
I've heard good things but don't have any first hand experience with the Fox Ultron spinning/drop shot rods.
I use a 6ft telescopic travel rod for drop shotting which I bought in Spain for around 120 euros. Its ultra light and its just the right length to jig n wiggle a worm all day. Anything longer than 6 or heavier may cause fatigue as well as accentuates too much wrist movement at the tip. I feel a longer rod is only really suitable to a up and down movement, not side to side.

My own preference is to fish up and down and side to side in a continuous wave fashion. This might not be the correct way but the perch don't complain one bit.

naxian62

Reaction score
Seems a lot of dough to lay out on a start up. Have a look at the HTO Tronix 73 1-8gram. Had a waggle of one these very very sensitive but still a bit of oomph if you should hook into something larger than expected.
Was close to buying one of the new Spro s last week, so sexy!

B

binka

Use anything you've got and then, when you get tired of sitting there constantly jigging a soft plastic or worm with a tired arm for an endless procession of 2oz perch you'll maybe realise that it's not what it's cracked up to be and you will have saved yourself a tidy sum of money!

Or it could just be me which is quite likely :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Use anything you've got and then, when you get tired of sitting there constantly jigging a soft plastic or worm with a tired arm for an endless procession of 2oz perch you'll maybe realise that it's not what it's cracked up to be and you will have saved yourself a tidy sum of money!

Or it could just be me which is quite likely :)

No...its not just you, Steve....I fell for it too. I have boxes full of wonderful little wriggly things but nothing ever seems to want to grab hold of them. Rod wise I bought a Spro Triffic for about 40 sovs which is a cracking little rod to start with.....and I suspect finish with too. I remain unconvinced by the whole d/s lark.

swizzle

Reaction score
So the general consensus is to not bother with drop shotting? I thought it would have a place in the winter months, for several reasons.

B

binka

So the general consensus is to not bother with drop shotting? I thought it would have a place in the winter months, for several reasons.

Joking aside and as Chris says it does have its place, I just remain a bit sceptical as I've taken far bigger perch on maggot and worm than drop shotting and I've tried it in some banker swims where I know big perch won't be far away.

Some great fish have been taken by the method there's no doubt, it might be a case of putting more work into it than I'm prepared to.

Good luck with it :)

steve2

Reaction score
Ask yourself why do I need a drop shotting rod, from what I have read and what I use a normal lure rod works just as well.

Lark

Reaction score
Must agree with S-kippy (on the SPRO gear, not the disillusionment of drop-shot fishing!).

Top quality rods (and reels) for the price. I've got a couple of their Urban 2500 reels as well and they're perfect for the job.

Also check out the Drennan 2.1 metre (I think it's called a Spinflex). Very good rod for about £35.

Keep the faith!.... It's great fun when you've only got time for a short session.

wes79

Reaction score
The jury is still out for me, I have my reservations (they look rubbish) but this was going to be my drop shot virginity breaker.

A warm up/rekkie session on one of the Quays in town, we saw some quite good Perch in there few weeks back, never fished it before, quite alot of water to go at too, we were originally just going to go for a Pike session but we decided on trying a few Perch methods.....including drop shotting!

We plummeted and got over 18 - 25ft drop offs in quite clear water (clear to our visibility to a depth of about 10ft)! I found it hard going.

She was using worm, lightly ledgered using a FG telescopic 240, and was the only one of us to catch anything! (few small/medium Perch).

Only having ever caught a few Perch before, my biggest is a 2lb+ from a local river last year, I've always just stuck to worm and a little "Karma" Carp picker rod with light quiver tip for my Perch, my only issue is with getting a good free supply of tiger worms (Eisenia fetida) in winter becomes harder to achieve, so that is where the other methods I thought might come in handy, as worm is hard to beat imho but like to leave the lobs (Lumbricus terrestris) in the soil to do the great job they do when I leave them alone.

So.....I bought the Power bait Power pack from Go-Out :eek::eek:mg:, not that cheap either but as I was intending on trying 4 baiting methods:

Prawn (ledgered)
Worm/tigers (ledgered & free lined)
Mepps
Berkley Power Pack

Worm worked the best, however, it was a one off so not sure how much can be accredited to what at that stage.

[/COLOR]
Use your quiver rod....

That is exactly what I did (I do for spinning the small Mepps also) has worked surprisingly well so far.

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
Wes, I bought the perch/minnow pack a while back, haven't had the time yet to have a go with them, will report when I try them out.

wes79

Reaction score
Wes, I bought the perch/minnow pack a while back, haven't had the time yet to have a go with them, will report when I try them out.

I'm still going to try all of them, which is fair I guess (even the fluoro one with glitter impregnated inside it :eek:) they might just be absolute killer on the river.....will do same as mate, report back if they catch anything :)

wa1115

Reaction score
I have been drop shotting recently on my local stretch using Fishaction Attractor Shad DS 3" lures with some excellent results! they seem to attract the larger Perch aswell. Teamed up with the Tonix HTO 0.5 - 7g rod and Fox Ultron 1500 reel it all add's up to great sport and a great deal of fun on such light gear.

Last edited:

dnahacker

Reaction score
Use your quiver rod....
they are too long and heavy for a full days fishing..

The ultron range and the savage gear are ok, however thats it.. they are blingy and really quite basic rods

the korum rods look nice for the money, as do the wychwood agitator, to be hones the shakespeare agility range takes some beating for sheer bang for your buck, i would start there, if you get hooked you can look at something exotic and japanese !

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Take a look at the Sonik LRF range..... I have one (Rockchamp-Spin 3-12grm).... brill rod for the money (£49.99)
Reels... well cheap and cheerful work for me, and the Shimano Alivio in 1000FD spec is superb for the job, some 5kg braid and some 6lb fluorocarbon for Perch with a 5kg Softstrand wire uptrace if Pike are in the area:cool:

swizzle

Reaction score
they are too long and heavy for a full days fishing..

The ultron range and the savage gear are ok, however thats it.. they are blingy and really quite basic rods

the korum rods look nice for the money, as do the wychwood agitator, to be hones the shakespeare agility range takes some beating for sheer bang for your buck, i would start there, if you get hooked you can look at something exotic and japanese !

Hahaha. I do like Japanese things, bought my self a Damascus steel kitchen knife. Thing cost a small fortune, it looks good though.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Take a look at the Sonik LRF range..... I have one (Rockchamp-Spin 3-12grm).... brill rod for the money (£49.99)
Reels... well cheap and cheerful work for me, and the Shimano Alivio in 1000FD spec is superb for the job, some 5kg braid and some 6lb fluorocarbon for Perch with a 5kg Softstrand wire uptrace if Pike are in the area:cool:

Thanks for that, I'll have a butchers.

pf0x

Reaction score
By all means give it a go. It's a method some people love and are successful with. But other people don't enjoy it/aren't very good at it.

You'll never know until you try.

It just hasn't 'clicked' for me yet (my fault). I've got all the gear and no idea.

I started this thread a few months ago.....

naxian62

Reaction score
@danhacker
My quiver rod can be broke down to 8 foot and at a weighed 137 grams aint too heavy. Plus my dropshotting sessions tend to be max 3 hours.

i've experienced the same thing as some of you lads known lures just dont produce any bites for me, but drop a nice wriggly lob down on the exact same spot and wham, or tap-tap-tap I should say.
Gonna have another go for the last couple of hours tonight.

Tight lines all.