Recollections of memorable fights with fish.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It is often said that Pike don't fight, at least when compared to Carp, Barbel and Tench. To a degree there is some truth in this, but I sometimes wonder that given the time of year (Autumn/Winter) when most Piking is pursued, how much bearing does this actually have on the overall picture. Even then there are still exceptions, I can recall many over the years, from rivers, gravel pits, canals, fenland drains and reservoirs. But almost without exception, the fish taken whilst fishing surface lures during the warmer months have been far more explosive and sustained than during the depths of Winter.

Your opinions would be welcome, whatever the species.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt (imo at least) that fish usually pull back harder during the warmer months.
My opinion of which is the hardest fighting species of fish I have caught keeps changing.
I have had some serious battles with various species (as i'm sure we all have) but I think my favourites for pulling back are tench, barbel, grayling, pike and carp, not in that order but they all give a really good acount of themselves on most occassions...i love 'em all !

thecrow

Reaction score
For me its got to be Barbel from snaggy swims, long periods of feeding followed by what can be(not always :) ) a very quick bite after introducing a bait, almost always a short and very violent fight follows which always leaves me shaking.

theartist

Reaction score
When I used to go for pike on the Thames weirs as a lad they used to take some line in some right runs back and forth, think I was not fishing super heavy so they were able to scream off as they are a 'point and go' kind of fighter rather than a twist and turn one if that makes sense.

For me carp are underrated as a fighter as the stamina they have is unbelievable at times.

Tench and Perch really go well in stillwaters and better still in flowing water.

With Barbel the harder you pull the harder they go the other way, I've had them by snags on light line and they have just stayed under the raft rather than heading for the roots and could be coaxed out with patience. Visa versa with heavier line.

Chub are the opposite, give them a yard and they take three usually to a part of the river where you didn't thin there was any water, yet let them know who's boss and they can succumb surprisingly easily.

Grayling and Bream use the current to their advantage so well, the former being a wolf in ladies clothing never giving up even when landed.

Big roach have a wonderful fight, gliding like smaller ones yet the thud of a good chub, often spinning on the surface with a flash of red fins just to give you plenty of time for the shaky knees to set in.

Oh and trout are just total nutters

P

pointngo

Their cold blood means that all fish will have less energy during the winter and more in the summer... and pike can be very explosive when the water is a bit warmer.

One of the best pike fights I ever had was from a 15lb(ish) river pike on a topwater frog on a roasting hot day. A long, lean fish with a massive head and tail, and a definite winter 20, and it went off like a train... straight across the river in 2 seconds, then back again crashing through the pads, then out again... the fish was mean and mental.

Where pike live also has a big effect on their fighting qualities. If they live in a big, rough river they are built tough and solid and their power can be immense. Likewise, on big glacial lakes the high oxygen content and the distances they move keeps them fighting fit.

The thing that really floats my boat is seeing a big pike hit a lure. Their violent aggression and speed nevers fails to impress, no matter what time of year.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
You can never tell. Some big carp come in like a lamb whilst others far smaller will test tackle to breaking point. Same with many other species. I've had 100lb+ catfish on light carp tackle which were pussycats and 40lbers from the same water which left me a nervous wreck. In June this year I had a 13lb salmon which just sloshed about a bit - last year I had a 14lber which had me running up and down the bank for 100 yards just to keep in touch with it. You can never tell but a general rule of thumb is the harder you pull the harder the fish will pull back. Try playing your next decent fish with the rod tip under the water and its amazing how gentle the fight is...but not every time :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sea trout and mullet. Never had one go anything less than beserk. Barbel are pretty dogged but my beloved zander are not that exciting. Big roach I would not know about...whenever I've hooked one I've been too busy cacking myself to notice the fight. Best hook spitters in the business.

B

binka

I think that many of my most notables have been with fish that have gotton away and never been seen, occasionally in brief encounters but often after a prolonged battle.

One such notable success was a carp of around 18lb from a water where they have a reputation for being a bit fiery, I had been snagged up in a dense bed of pads with stems as thick as your arm whilst tench fishing on many an occasion prior to this capture and I had maxed a new rod out on 8lb line right on the edge of the bed to such an extent that my mate wouldn’t go anywhere near the water to net it for fear of being hit by carbon shards when the rod exploded.

Needless to say it never did :)

Among the worst have been zander, second only to b***m and occasionally equal!

thecrow

Reaction score
Most prolonged fight I have ever had was with a carp that weighed over 26lbs, foul hooked in its anal fin, took me all over the lake for about 20mins.

robtherake

Reaction score
Elvington lake, York, circa 1980. Towards the end of an autumn day, after losing several decent carp in a bed of lilies, it occurred that a strike towardthe pads might encourage a fish to bolt in the opposite direction into open water. It worked a treat, but this next fish was in a different league entirely - it felt like I'd hooked a full bathtub. I was hopelessly outgunned - a Boron Mach 2 float rod, 2lb Maxima main line to 1.1lb Bayer and an 18 hook - and the beast just wallowed a few yards out while I hung on, making no headway whatsoever. After an arm-aching 20 minutes I wasn't even sure that the fish knew it was hooked, despite its initial alarm. I'd read somewhere about a famous angler in the same situation who'd plopped some bait to left, then right of the fish, noting that it moved over the bait each time, apparently unaware that it was tethered. So that's what I did, with small handfuls of hemp, and sure enough, the thing responded in exactly the same manner. So, with dusk fast approaching, I piled on as much pressure as the gear would take and it moved out, finally giving me a chance to make it use up some energy. Another 20 minutes, with my grip giving out, and the fish rolled just out of netting range, impossibly big compared to anything I'd hooked before, and as it dived, the leading edge of the dorsal caught the line and pinged the hook straight out. I sat in the mud, close to tears, as the colours faded from the day.

I can still feel the disappointment, some 35 years on. Some you win, eh? :eek:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A Pike taken from the weir at Thrumpton on the river Trent has always been prominent in my mind, even though it was some years ago. I'd been fishing a large in line Bucktail up to the weir sill for no more than fifteen minutes when a solid thump bent the rod tip over. In less than a split second the fish was airborne amid the foam flecked river. Then just as quickly it shot across the river to the far side, where it again made several leaps. It really was a spectacular sight that had my heart thumping. It then decided that the weir sill was where it wanted to be,then after a short bout of dour boring and tugging my mate Dave did the honours with the net. The whole episode took no more than four minutes by the watch, Dave timed it.

I have had many bigger fish, but none have left such an indelible memory. Oh yes, the fish weighed 24-12lb.

P

pointngo

High oxygen levels certainly seems to turbo charge some pike Derek.. the one I mentioned earlier was just below the white water.

barbelboi

Reaction score
On the subject of 'white water' pike, probably one of the most memorable for me was one taken from Marlow weir in 1977. It was taken on MK1V hollow glass 1.5t/c blanks, (made up at home), from a raging weir right under the main central sluice, on a lip hooked live bait on a single hook and weighed in at 27.02lb (still my largest river pike) . All the pike used to fight like heck there - we weren't allowed on the weir until 9am (I know, I used to get up early in those days;)) and were more than ready for a pint, or two, in the Marlow Donkey by midday.......

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
On the subject of 'white water' pike, probably one of the most memorable for me was one taken from Marlow weir in 1977. It was taken on MK1V hollow glass 1.5t/c blanks, (made up at home), from a raging weir right under the main central sluice, on a lip hooked live bait on a single hook and weighed in at 27.02lb (still my largest river pike) . All the pike used to fight like heck there - we weren't allowed on the weir until 9am (I know, I used to get up early in those days;)) and were more than ready for a pint, or two, in the Marlow Donkey by midday.......

Jerry,

As Mark so rightly noted, weir pool pike are in a league of their own, jacked up on extra oxygen. I wonder does the same apply to barbel, I seem to recall that the barbel from Topcliffe weir on the Swale fought like stink.

P

pointngo

Zander seem to like it in the rough water as well if it's deep enough... right in the churning white water.

I suspect every fish gets a boost from the extra oxygen.

A bit off topic but when fighting arapaima, which breathe air, you can feel them tiring until they come up and take a gulp of air, then the fight starts all over again... that carries on until the gulps get closer and the fish tires. When you've caught them you have to hold onto them until they take a good gulp of air, and you can feel the strength immediately build in them when they do it. Amazing fish.

terry m

Reaction score
There is little doubt in my mind that river pike fight far more aggressively than Stillwater pike at any time of the year.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Agree with Binka that the most memorable are often fish that were lost or never seen. It makes it all the worse if their actual size was never witnessed directly - just felt.

For me the most memorable was a very large carp (not that i saw it) hooked on the Thames at Kingston back in about 1981 on modest carp gear - ledgered luncheon meat, 8Ib line, size 8 Jack Hilton hook, fished at close range where a tributary enters the river.

I remember striking into a totally solid but slow moving object which casually headed straight for some snags amongst the anchor lines of some floating buoys about 30 yards away. Ability to turn or in any way influence the direction of travel was absolute zero. I might as well have hooked a barge.

steve2

Reaction score
Longest fight I ever had was a barbel I hooked in the tail, in fast water on Throop. Took me over 40 minutes to land never saw it for most of that time.
It only weighed just over 8lb.
Agree, it is those you hooked and lost and never saw that really stick in your minds.

wa1115

Reaction score
I reckon that if the Cormorant that attacked my Perch the other day had ended up hooked that would have been memorable fight.

markv

Reaction score
The one that springs to mind is John Wilsons televised tussle with a catfish. the one where his rod broke ! Gripping stuff.