Travel rod

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi

I need some help, i am going on a work trip fishing in 2 weeks time, i will be sampling small Perch from lakes around reactor 4 at Chernobyl, i plan to use small plastics, drop shot/jig head type of stuff, i also need to catch some roach too, again, small, i plan to take a couple of small wagglers and fish bait (bread, corn, maybe maggot if i can find a bait shop close by, all the gear has to in my luggage...

so i have a small tackle tray with plastics, small mepps, hooks, floats etc a small shimano exage reel loaded with braid and some flouro for hooklengths.

i need a rod and i have 10 days before i go!!..

Anybody recommend a multi section lure rod, so far i have looked at the sonik sk4 travel, the savage gear road runner and the spro mobile stick light, as i said the work requires small fish so i dont want anything too heavy as they wont be any good slinging about small lures/light float gear.
if anyone has anything they wanna sell please let me know :)

chrissh

Reaction score
I have 2 travel rods
Shimano Diaflash XT/A Lure/spinning rod –cast weight 7g to 25g and shimano exage 2500FA
Fox trek 8ft spin cast weight 20g to 50g match with a shimano Aernos 4000FA
Both rods are 4 piece and come with a hard tube pack down to 28”

P

pointngo

Sounds like an interesting proposition.. didn't Jeremy Wade go there and catch a load of zander, and wels catfish (not sure if he landed one though), on lures? Very strict access control as you'd expect so I assume by your forum name that you're doing something pretty interesting.

Can't help you with a personal recommendation but from what I understand, the sonik rods are quite soft, which might suit the perch you're after and although the spro stick says it is extra fast, they may not be as fast as it infers... a lot of spro rods make ideal perch rods.

Another, more expensive option could be the sakura shinjin travel rod..

Sakura Shinjin Neo 704L

As for the roadrunner; there's nothing wrong with most SG rods for what they are, modern looking entry level rods with a bit of bling, but the carbon is a bit brittle and they break quite easily... they're not really built to last. If I was going away I would want a rod that's tough. If your only rod breaks when you're there you're stuffed!

dnahacker

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions.. you are right Jeremy wade did have a go there... Our first sample site is the cooling pond next to reactor 4 in the heart of the exclusion zone.

P

pointngo

Wow, I never thought anything would be able to live in the actual cooling ponds for a very long time. Just out of interest; I know they store radioactive material in ponds (Sellafield for example) as the water acts as a barrier, but does it help to reduce the radioactivity over time, or faster than if open to the air?

Hope your trip goes well.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi, the reason it is stored under water is simply that water is a good shield for radioactive decay. Radioisotopes decay at a standard rate it doesn't matter what the storage medium is, it isn't decaying because it is reacting with the chemicals in its environment, it is an unstable isotope , its nucleus contains extra particles which make it unstable. The extra bits are lost as ionizing radiation, this stabilizes the nucleus. The half life is absolute.

P

pointngo

Hi, the reason it is stored under water is simply that water is a good shield for radioactive decay. Radioisotopes decay at a standard rate it doesn't matter what the storage medium is, it isn't decaying because it is reacting with the chemicals in its environment, it is an unstable isotope , its nucleus contains extra particles which make it unstable. The extra bits are lost as ionizing radiation, this stabilizes the nucleus. The half life is absolute.

Hi mate, thanks for the information.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Ok after much deliberation I went with the sakura shinning neo 702l it seemed to tick all the boxes and has a bit of a cult following .. got it from a shop in dubiln for 115 quid which I thought was very reasonable.

From what I have gathered the L version is rated 3n7 but is comfortably up to 15g casting and has plenty in the middle and butt section to deal with double figure fish... Watched a vid of a guy landing huge largemouth bass on it.. should do fine with the zander that are resident there...watch this space !