BIG PERCH Challenge 2015/6.

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob,

I'm really lucky to have seen that behaviour twice, once on the Thames too. I could not believe the speed perch can move at.

That said, I've released chub which have taken off like a scalded Ferrari.

I guess it would be the pike but I wonder which fish are the Usain Bolt of the river? :)

Dace, I reckon; they look like they're built for speed.

rubio

Reaction score
Gotta be pike for that power surge of acceleration when it finally launches, but when Perch put that big sail up on their back in attack mode they can turn incredibly sharply. Very nifty quality for hammering schools of baitfish.
I have been amidst a shoal of tuna hitting a baitball and no lure, livebait or anything of a different size or profile caught their eye. Tuna of 20-40 kg focussed entirely on 2 inch long fry. You would think big fish want a big return for the effort. My guess is that it takes so much concentration to pick out a single fry from a shoal that they become 'blinkered' to anything else.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I can only think that, with perch at least, that rounding up and thrashing behaviour is temporary. Perhaps it uses up a lot of energy or maybe it's triggered by the environment or something?

The reason I muse that is because, although not absolutely certain I seem to recall, that the same session produced my pb, of 2lb 7oz.

Fishing caster, the first two trots bounced out of its bony mouth and, third time lucky, voila...

Anyway, I don't think it was one of the perch I'd seen trawling minnows but, of course, it could have been involved in another swim.

Anyway, to round off, like most of you guys I suspect, I always look on it as an honour to get to do David Attenborough's job for however long and see nature in the raw!!

You got my thinking and aspiration battery sparked now. How much would I love a big perch?? :D

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any way you can identify the gender of a perch other than spawning time?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have to say I'm surprised that my 3:10 has not been surpassed yet, so many big stripeys coming out over the winter months. Would be a shame to be the lowest winning weight over the past three years.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get the elusive 4 in the net so far but a trip to the home of the record 6+ at Stream Valley is in the diary for a few weeks time, perhaps I'll just skip the 4 and maybe the 5 too, can't even imagine what a six pounder looks like in the flesh.:eek:mg:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Good luck S63, challenge closes midnight 14 March.....

I run the same challenge on another site and 2 anglers are sharing first at the moment with fish of 4lb:6...

Both from the Lea nav. Dropshotting.....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good luck S63, challenge closes midnight 14 March.....

I run the same challenge on another site and 2 anglers are sharing first at the moment with fish of 4lb:6...

Both from the Lea nav. Dropshotting.....

What site is that?

B

binka

trip to the home of the record 6+ at Stream Valley is in the diary for a few weeks time, perhaps I'll just skip the 4 and maybe the 5 too, can't even imagine what a six pounder looks like in the flesh.:eek:mg:

I'm rooting for ya, reel 'em in! :thumbs:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Went today instead.

2.4 and a 2.13 so far. Haven't bought enough bait though....

rubio

Reaction score
3.10 to beat eh?
I was only 60 ozs short of that last night.

B

binka

It's going to be a busy few days with the river season coming to an end and the temperatures picking up quite drastically, I definitely fancy another go at the perch before the close.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Had another over 2lb but lost a better one. Pleased to find such a place shortish drive.

By all accounts the best to come out is 4.7!!!!

A few carpus to 14.9. That has confused me as looks a koi - mirror cross? Fought like hell.

Great fun on the drennan classic rod - crystal waggler set up a la prawn

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

What is this. A cross?]

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lost a huge one yesterday:( the guy fishing the other end of the lake must have thought I suffer from Tourettes, perhaps I do.

That me done for this particular challenge and with just over 24 hours to go surely someone can bag a 4lb er.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Two on Friday as per the 'How did you get on' thread..............
Mar%2011%20BL_zpsmv2aip83.jpg

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Had another over 2lb but lost a better one. Pleased to find such a place shortish drive.

By all accounts the best to come out is 4.7!!!!

A few carpus to 14.9. That has confused me as looks a koi - mirror cross? Fought like hell.

Great fun on the drennan classic rod - crystal waggler set up a la prawn

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

What is this. A cross?]

Coming from Birkenhead stock, I'd have to punt at it being either a cut and shut ringer or a leper.

Nice going though Graham, though I thought it was only me who caught fish that look like Bill Sykes' dog....:D