Starting Kit for Piking

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to get together the kit needed to go and successfully land pike. Deadbaiting)

So far I reckon I need:
Large landing net(can some recommend one thats not £50? nearer £20 would be nice, already have handle)
Unhooking mat(Greys medium prob as it will attach to my ruck)
large long nose pliers (again, recce welcome)
side cutters(again, recce welcome)
small first aid kit
hand sanitizer stuff
bite alarm(have a fox micron M but need one more of some sort)
Other?

End Tackle:
Uptraces
End traces/snap tackle(make my own or buy in? which ones?)
Weights (sizes? 2oz, 3oz?)
Floats, zepplers/inline sliders/pencils
Other?

Have got 2 carp rods I can use and have some freshly bought 14lb mono to spool up on free spool type reels..

Planning on float legering stillwaters and river. Running float leger on still, paternoster on river.

Have fished for pike before (years ago) and had several to 19lb but am returning and want to ensure I have correct kit.

Thanks for any help

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently purchased a large Fox pike landing net. I think its called the Fox 36". Its a spoon net with a strong frame and a deep rubber coated mesh. Much prefer this net to my previous 'carp style' triangular nets as the metal frame is strong enough to push through marginal weed (quite tricky with a drawstring on a triangular net) and the rubber mesh doesn't get snarled up if there is a flying hook point. I don't think too many places sell it now, I got mine off ebay. Well worth a look.

Alarms. I've been giving this some thought recently myself. My alarms are Fox Mr+, great for Carp, Tench etc but after only registering a single bleep before the rear indicator dropped off last winter, I've started wondering whether a rear alarm like the ET Ultimate Backbiter that is continuous when the indicator is moved is a better option.

If you decide to tie your own traces I've started using a large single hook as much as I can, and only adding a stinger treble if using large baits.

Good luck in your new quest for pike! It was nice to read that in the list of items you need you put fish welfare items before fish catching items!

naxian62

Reaction score
Howdy,
I been using Fox long nose pliers for the last 2 seasons, strong enough for me so far. I also carry a pair of 12" forceps, just in case....
Pencils,- make your own, very simple, cheap (balsa sticks of the 'bay ) and a certain sense of satisfaction when it tips up and slides away.
Make your own traces too then you can play around with hook patterns, etc.

Good luck to ya.

john step

Reaction score
I have a set of the Greys Prowler tools which are very robust. I have previously found long forceps a bit bendy.
Agree with the rubber net advice. Can't beat them for NOT getting the trebles tangled.

Traces I make myself. I like the green plastic covered stuff that seems to kink less and although its just a belief not proven I think there is less chance of pike dropping the bait due to a reduced metallic taste.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I use the Fox 30" net had pike up to 26lbs in it
Pikepro, Is the Tackle Shop the only stockist of the 36" net, can't find it anywhere else.

pikepro1

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. To get that link I just googled Fox 36 pike net. I bought mine from an eBay shop for about 30 quid.

B

binka

A bait syringe is a handy thing for injecting oil and air, they usually come with two different bore needles with the finer one for air and the thicker one for oils if you ever decide to go down the oil route, my own findings with oil have been inconclusive but I regularly use mine for air.

You mentioned paternostering on rivers...

If the flow is reasonably steady and not strong enough to raise a deadbait then just inject it with air to ensure it flutters in the current or use balsa sticks attached to a treble with wire and inserted inside the fish (you don't want to lose a bait stuffed with balsa or foam) which is also a good alternative to live baiting, you've mentioned it already but an up trace is a very good idea with this method.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Traces I make myself. I like the green plastic covered stuff that seems to kink less and although its just a belief not proven I think there is less chance of pike dropping the bait due to a reduced metallic taste.
Thanks. Is there a guide anywhere on how to make traces? Presuming swivels, hooks are crimped on somehow are they? Where do you get the "green stuff"? Local tackle shop?

B

binka

I suspect the green coated wire mentioned is Drennan Green Pike Wire?

Pretty sure it's called Drennan Soft Steel, I've been using it in the 10lb for perching where there are a few pike around.

B

binka

Pretty sure it's called Drennan Soft Steel, I've been using it in the 10lb for perching where there are a few pike around.

My apologies gents, it's Drennan Soft Strand not Soft Steel...

john step

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a guide anywhere on how to make traces? Presuming swivels, hooks are crimped on somehow are they? Where do you get the "green stuff"? Local tackle shop?

Sorry about the delay. My laptop has been away at the computer doctor!!!
Crimping pliers available any tackle shop or on line. Very cheap. The usual ones have a red plastic handle. I think there must be instructions on You tube. In any case just copy a pre made up set.
You can also make UP TRACES from it.
Despite the guesses by the others I must confess the green stuff to be "Fladen". Not an "in" brand but the wire in 25 or 30 pound bs is very good and comes with a few crimps. I believe the size to order on line for extra crimps is 0.16 mm.

law

Reaction score
I wish people would stop taking hand sanitizing cream fishing.
It ruins the fishes protective slime. Especially the stuff with high alcohol content.

keora

Reaction score
You might be taking too much equipment, such as:

Unhooking mat - I don't think you need one

side cutters - I've never had to use them, long forceps or unhooking pliers are enough

small first aid kit and hand sanitizer stuff - not needed provided you wear a thick leather glove when unhooking pike

bite alarm - use a float rig, which is easier to set up and in my view gives more sensitive bite detection.

For landing nets I don't like the triangular type with a draw string I prefer an oval folding spoon.

http://www.korum.co.uk/Item_KFSNET-L26#.ViczsH6rTC0

End Tackle:
Uptraces - I've tired them and abandoned them. Might be needed if you do a lot of live baiting but I don't.

End traces - buy ready made traces, bs about 30lbs with two treble hooks about size 6 or 8. I no longer use traditional snap tackles and have changed to home made traces with just one single hook at the end, about size 1, or larger if I use a circle hook.

Weights - for float fishing I use drilled bullets weighing 8, 12 and 20 grammes
Floats - Drennan Zepplers (inline slider floats), from 8 to 20 grammes. Learn to tie a sliding stop knot, although I'm sure you already know.

Swivels - use cross lock swivels which are stronger than snap swivels

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/berkley-mcmahon-crosslock-snap-swivel.html

Last edited:

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Keora, why do you think unhooking mats aren't essential?
Its a bit too sweeping a statement to be given any credit I think.

If you're fishing off a concrete, wood or gravel bank of course you'll need one.

A lovely fluffy untrodden estate lake bank with long grass blowing in the breeze maybe not. I suspect in 90% of times its worth having one.

Rest of the advice very interesting though. Especially the idea of just one hook.