Dropshot tip

Harvey

Reaction score
Four LG shots in a bulk make an excellent dropshot weight.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
How so Harvey, I'm interested in drop shotting so could do with all the tips I can get :)

B

binka

I thought the dropshot tip was going to be something like...

Sell all the gear whilst the prices are still good on ebay and buy some worms and a float with the proceeds :D

john step

Reaction score
Good idea. I presume that if the shot are not pinched too tight they can pull off if snagged, just like link ledgering.

Harvey

Reaction score
Sell all the gear whilst the prices are still good on ebay and buy some worms and a float with the proceeds :D
If you are pleased with catching toddlers, stick to your worms and floats...:wh

B

binka

If you are pleased with catching toddlers, stick to your worms and floats...:wh

It seems to be t'other way around for me, all I get with dropshot gear is an endless string of 4oz perch, yet put a maggot or a small worm on a size 18 and...

soft plastic

Reaction score
Very nice fish there, binka. However, for me, put something on like this...

32a8f70cc9e19f94923c61d8f3346e4a.jpg

090d05d78eea5ae814b6664861fc149f.jpg

b0274bd945b4643fc01a146f83a935ac.jpg

88a31e12c20c12e2337d62cd334039a9.jpg

9b8c5985a848656eab03f3d92f74f1f2.jpg

55deac5d771df73bcf628ecebf2de268.jpg

Horses for courses, I guess.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
What is the correct term? Tiddlers? Fry?

'Tiddlers' is correct for small fish - indeterminate species.
Toddlers are small children barely able to walk.

Harvey - apologies for making fun of the small slip - your English is so good I forget it is not your main language! :eek:mg:
:thumbs:

B

binka

I reckon we could have the making of Perch Wars here, with the potential to make Barbel Wars look like a bun fight in a convent :D

Seriously though it's good to see some people can make the dropshot work even if I can't and I hope you have many more good fish, I will keep trying it occasionally and reckon my next ploy might be to drop it in where I've been feeding and running a float through all day, especially around dusk.

But for now it's the maggot and/or worm for the bigger stripeys as far as I'm concerned, especially after having livebaits swimming around all day barely ten feet away in crystal clear water, from where I was hitting big stripeys pre-occupied with a constant drip of maggots.

If sod's law is anything to go by I might even crab a pb on the dropshot :eek:mg:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Very important point in that post, binka. Namely, perch being turned on to your bait offerings. I never baitfish and adopt a roving approach. When I drop upon a shoal they will take soft plastics readily, large or small.

B

binka

These are what I've been using in the main, they look a sorry lot in the picture but great in the water...

The lighter is for scale although I'd probably do no worse on it if I attached a hook.

The Savage Gear ones are what I bought some time ago for jigging which I did have some degree of success with, by far the best i've done in terms of numbers on the dropshot has been on a real worm but again never anything big :confused:

Whenever I've tried in the past it's never been in conjunction with any feed.

soft plastic

Reaction score
These are what I've been using in the main, they look a sorry lot in the picture but great in the water...

The lighter is for scale although I'd probably do no worse on it if I attached a hook.

The Savage Gear ones are what I bought some time ago for jigging which I did have some degree of success with, by far the best i've done in terms of numbers on the dropshot has been on a real worm but again never anything big :confused:

Whenever I've tried in the past it's never been in conjunction with any feed.
Surprised you couldn't catch on the Kopyto, have to admit I wouldn't use any of the others.