Net opinions please

tom_moran

Reaction score
Looking for a portable net for some fishing on the move andbwas wondering what people use. My current net is 50 inches and the handle is 3.5 meters so not exactly portable. I found this Leeda Flip Up Game Net, 60cm Head | GO Outdoors which looks good but is there a better option or a downside? Where I intend to fish there is the possibility of double figure pike

keora

Reaction score
I've owned a couple of the flip up trout nets shown in the photo. They are OK for trout, although sometimes the flip up mechanism doesn't work smoothly. I bought a third one a few years ago, but it was so heavy that I sent it back and bought one of those small frying pan landing nets.

If you are likely to catch pike above 10 lbs you need a bigger net. Salmon Gye nets are semi collapsible although expensive.

Sharpes Traditional Gye net, Leather Sling – Glasgow Angling Centre

The alternative is to buy a foldable spoon shaped landing net designed for coarse fish, such as this 27" Korum net:

Korum Latex Barbel Nets – Glasgow Angling Centre

The one I have folds in two so it's easy to put in the car boot. When fishing it remains fixed on the handle and it's not a flip up type. I find a spoon net is a lot easier to carry than a big triangular net, whose arms tend to catch in the undergrowth.

john step

Reaction score
Look up SAVAGE GEAR folding nets. Two sizes. Two handle lengths. Biggest will take 20plus pike.( boasting again :D)
Rubberised net. Better for not getting trebles tangled.

They fold inwards as opposed to the normal way and the handle slides up parallel to to the frame . Sounds complicated but really works.

Not the cheapest but very sturdy.

law

Reaction score
Ive got the Fox Predator net.
Its had fish to just under 20lb in it and they just fit. If your target fish are much bigger, I think you'd be better off elsewhere.
The downside being its not the best to weigh the bigger ones in as its not overly deep.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's helped me. I like the look of the savage gear ones, will see if there's one for sale in a shop near me

jimlad

Reaction score
Have a search for te fox predator 900mm (approx 35") spoon, rubber net. Brilliant and you can pick one up for about £27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
I have both the 30" and 36" Fox Nets. Had pike to 26lb in the 30" the 36" will handle any pike we are likely to catch.

law

Reaction score
It looks like Fox have made a bigger one since I bought mine!