Big livebaits

law

Reaction score
When using big livebaits (jack pike 2-3lb), how do you sort out bite detection?
A nor al size float will get pulled under and sitting behind alarms wont work either.
Any ideas?

greenie62

Reaction score
Since you've already condemned the fish to almost certain death - why not puncture the jack's swim bladder with a sharp spike - that'll stop it doing a 'crash-dive'! :eek:

Seriously though - the old-style 'Fishing Gazette' bungs were practically unsinkable - used in conjunction with a sliding pilot bob should show you where it's going when/if it does go under!

B

binka

I think i'd be inclined to try a pack of balloons and experiment with the amount of inflation required, attached either fixed or sliding via a paperclip threaded through a swivel running on the mainline.

robertroach

Reaction score
Maybe I've got a weak stomach but I hate the idea of using big livebaits. I feel sorry for the poor creatures.

john step

Reaction score
I admit to being more than a bit puzzled by this:confused:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Must admit to looking at this thread several times and am unable to determine if it's a wind up. If not it seems irresponsible to me in this age of enlightened pike angling, just not acceptable.

law

Reaction score
Whats irresponsible using a big livebait compared to a small one?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

If you seriously have to ask then I think it's pointless anybody answering because you just wont have it. For my part I just think it's an inefficient, unnecessary and illconsidered thing to do and I'm saddened that you can't...or won't...see that.

Just don't do it anywhere near me please.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious what waters your intending to fish?

law

Reaction score
If you seriously have to ask then I think it's pointless anybody answering because you just wont have it. For my part I just think it's an inefficient, unnecessary and illconsidered thing to do and I'm saddened that you can't...or won't...see that.

Just don't do it anywhere near me please.

I have no idea tbh. Please explain. If I'm doing wrong, I'd like to know so I can amend my ways.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score

Apart from an ethical standpoint which may put you at odds with other Pike anglers, there's the issue of ''hooking up'' such a bait, and how to ''control'' it when put out.

Should you get a run, how long do you leave it?
What form of bite indication would you employ?
And last but not least ''why'' would you want to use a bait so over the top, do you have a particular reason?
Also might I suggest, you re-read the replies you've had so far, as I think the concensus of opinion is clearly evident.

law

Reaction score
I'm curious what waters your intending to fish?

It's private pike syndi

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Apart from an ethical standpoint which may put you at odds with other Pike anglers, there's the issue of ''hooking up'' such a bait, and how to ''control'' it when put out.

Should you get a run, how long do you leave it?
What form of bite indication would you employ?
And last but not least ''why'' would you want to use a bait so over the top, do you have a particular reason?
Also might I suggest, you re-read the replies you've had so far, as I think the concensus of opinion is clearly evident.

Its strange. I asked the same on a a members only pike forum, and answers were forthcoming. Not one criticism, not one moan about it being wrong or unethical
As I have said, whats unethical about using a 2-3lb jack compared to a 4-6oz roach? Or do you mean livebaits in general?

I guess that none of you are serious pike anglers or you'd know the reasons for big bait.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does the syndicate know what your planning on using as bait? Also, where is the bait fish going to come from?...I can't see the syndicate being very happy about you using their up and coming pike stocks...and I don't think they'd like you to use fish from other waters incase you introduced a disease etc.

law

Reaction score
Of course they know. Its advice from the membership secretary.
And where else other than the lake itself.

Anyway, thanks for the useful replies.
I'm outta here

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Of course they know. Its advice from the membership secretary.
And where else other than the lake itself.

Anyway, thanks for the useful replies.
I'm outta here

Why not ask the membership secretary for advice then instead of asking on here?

bleak

Reaction score
When using big livebaits (jack pike 2-3lb), how do you sort out bite detection?
A nor al size float will get pulled under and sitting behind alarms wont work either.
Any ideas?

Law, have you thought about using a lifesize inflatable doll ? one should perform nicely with your little jack, and you could keep a couple of spare "doll floats" handy during a long session...

BarryC

Reaction score
Most pike anglers take great care to look after their quarry big or small.
Now it may seem strange to some that we care more for the wellfare of a 3lb pike than an 8oz roach but ime afraid most of us do.
To take great care with bite indication, promote good fish wellfare techniques and unhooking safety it goes against the grain to start impaling our favourite species on two or maybe three huge trebles.
To most of us the end does not justify the means but I suppose there are some that to catch that big un they would do whatever they felt was neccessary.
Me? well if that was the only way I would sooner not catch.

steve2

Reaction score
Don't forget that all those dead baits that we say are alright to use were once live fish. All we have done is got someone else to kill them for us.