Alka- Seltzer ?

naxian62

Reaction score
So how exactly do you get them in to a bait ? Tried a couple of times now , and I (the bait )just end up in a right fizzy messy mess . Can anyone proffer advice. Cheers

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Can anyone proffer advice. Cheers

Use something else.

Oh ok, just needed to say that before anyone else :D:eek:. All that I can suggest is that you let it finish fizzing before you use it.

Quite why you want to use a headache cure I really don't know; what's your thinking?

B

binka

They are inserted into deadbaits to make them twitch during their fizzing stage, not an idea I've ever been comfortable with as a medicated product.

This is from another thread on the same subject...

LD50 for aspirin have been reported as low as 150mg per kg, in mammalian systems, the ADME (absorbtion, distribution, metabolism, excretion) profile of a fish which is hetrothermic will be much slower thus making the toxicity much greater, in the case of a bait being lost and ingested this could easily kill a fish or even kill a fish that eats a fish that was killed by eating a deadbait that someone stuffed with medication... .

naxian62

Reaction score
Oh wow. Thanks for putting that up Binka. That solves my problem of how to actually use them. There're going straight in the bin!
Cheers

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
what's your thinking?
I still would like to know what the thinking of putting it into a boilie is:confused:
They are inserted into deadbaits to make them twitch during their fizzing stage, not an idea I've ever been comfortable with as a medicated product.

Thanks for the LD50 quote bink, I did try looking but g kept coming up with fish oil - Correct me if I'm wrong (been a while) LD50 means a lethal dosage in 50% of healthy animals tested.

B

binka

Thanks for the LD50 quote bink, I did try looking but g kept coming up with fish oil - Correct me if I'm wrong (been a while) LD50 means a lethal dosage in 50% of healthy animals tested.

I have absolutely no idea in all honesty, I just thought the guy seemed to know what he was talking about :D

Naxian...

Don't bin them mate, sooner or later you will get a hangover :D :D

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
LD50

The name LD50 is an abbreviation for "Lethal Dose, 50%" or median lethal dose. It is the amount of the substance required (usually per body weight) to kill 50% of the test population.

This is actual data on fish that you've provided, so no arguing.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
So how exactly do you get them in to a bait ? Tried a couple of times now , and I (the bait )just end up in a right fizzy messy mess . Can anyone proffer advice. Cheers

Where did boilies come into things? :confused:

My disturbed mind that reads things that don't exist and jumps to conclusions :eek:

It was the in to a bait that was a give away for me, nuff read :eek:

Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice
Must read posts twice

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
At least somebody bothered to check.
Aspirin is pretty fierce; it's so long since I could afford a hangover that I'd forgotten what the active ingredient was.
A twist of baking powder, then, in a twist of rice/fag/tissue paper and inserted via a drinking straw? Plugged loosely in place with a balsa stick with a couple of grooves in it to let a bit of water in??

robtherake

Reaction score
Would a fizzy vitamin C tablet make a safer (if somewhat orangey) alternative?

I'd check the ingredients list first. I bought some from the local pound shop but threw them away after reading the label; they contained (amongst other things) artificial sweeteners, which can be very bad news, health-wise. Aspartame in particular - the sweetener found in so-called one-cal drinks - is neurotoxic. This salient fact didn't stop G.D.Searle from forcing it through FDA testing once they realised the immense potential for profit. They've even started to replace the sugar in the "smart price" budget foods (baked beans, for instance) with Aspartame. Naughty.

Still, I don't suppose the minute quantities used in an angling situation would make much of a difference, but it's best to be informed.

Read about how it found its way into foodstuffs here: The Shocking Story of How Aspartame Became Legal | Collective-Evolution