Newbie to Spinning

aimeekitching

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I'm predominately a fly fisher, however my house backs out on to a canal and a couple of folk have mentioned about spinning, so guess what, due to my terrible fishing addiction i have treated myself to a very cheap and cheerful spinning rod and reel. so basically I've seen the lures etc but i was just wondering about other baits such as maggots (can you use them are they effective) I'm not going after any specific type of fish, just whatever i can catch keeps me happy :) any other starter advice, hints, tips and tricks are greatly appreciated :) as i am totally going into this type of fishing totally blind :eek:

cheers in advance

Aimee xx

buick_toni

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm much help, as fishing the English(?) canals is not very familiar to me. But as I mostly go lure fishing myself, I might be able to give some pointers to start with.

If I just may inquire what kind of rod? Length, lure weight? What kind of reel and line? Might make it a bit easier to give advice to suit your gear :)

john step

Reaction score
It is a bit jumbled to me what you are looking for? Spinning/lure fishing is one thing and bait ie maggots quite another.

Spinning. I doubt there is a canal in the country which does not hold pike and perch. As long as you buy and use a wire trace between the end swivel and your lure you will sooner or later get hits from pike and perch without getting bitten off.

You already have a landing net, forceps etc, and the watercraft to choose where to cast. It wont be too difficult to switch to a new discipline if you are an established angler.

Bait fishing. For non predators. Its a LOT of learning. Too much to answer in a forum thread apart from suggesting you get a basic book. Hundreds of titles available usually with titles along the lines of FISHING FOR BEGINNERS etc.

Raid You Tube

If you see someone fishing the canal see if they mind answering a question or two without taking up too much of their concentration and time.

steve2

Reaction score
I am a bit confused by what you intend to fish for. You have bought spinning outfit but talk about using bait. There is no reason why you can’t fish bait on a spinning outfit but there is far better tackle for doing it.
As you have a spinning setup I would suggest you buy a few small spinners and some soft plastic lures and give it a go.

aimeekitching

Reaction score
Thanks guys , ignore all the bait rubbish I talked about ? I have since educated my self via the powers of YouTube ☺️ Looking forward to my spinning rod and reel to arrive then I'll be off hunting for lures ? Any one recommend any good lures ? Also I have plenty of traces as I like going for pike on a fly rod ☺️

flatsfishing

Reaction score
https://worldangling.wordpress.com/lure-fishing-for-predators/

As to what lures, the specific lure matters little, as long as it is about the right size and presented in the right way. Many "sponsored" lure fishermen will tell you only their sponsors' brand works, but that's a load of rubbish.

Have a look on AGM (link on the left from the link to my site) - but be warned, it is addictive! You will not find better service from an online shop than AGM either.

My personal recommendation would be get some soft plastics and some jig heads - for a canal I would say about 5g and 2/0 hooks, then get some smallish shads and some grubs to start.

Specific lures from AGM I would go for would be big hammer swimbaits in 3" and some Wave Tikki Grubs - next to no money but have caught me an awful lot of fish.

aimeekitching

Reaction score
sorry for the delayed response !!
Many thanks , will definitely be checking them out, I've been practicing casting in the garden thinking it would be technically like fly fishing but i seem to be managing ok i.e. hitting targets. just waiting for the weather to clear up now (sigh) so much for summer !!!

Reaction score
So much weed in my local canal(s) that my efforts at spinning this morning were very frustrating. Roll on the autumn! :)

aimeekitching

Reaction score
Ours is not too bad, some places are pretty laden, my local angling club have to rights to quite a long stretch so I've got a bit to play at :)

iain t

Reaction score
Am with BoneFishing regarding AGM. Quality with very fast delivery. If you want some "Mepps" style spinners look on Ebay. I bought 36 metal lures from China that were dirt cheap. Only thing is to check the hooks and rings. I've caught lot of Pike and Perch using them

old_school

Reaction score
Hi Aimee
As bone fisher said above, look at the soft plastic lures.
I have amazing fun with these when other species aren't feeding or as now, my river is too low due to lack of rain for the barbel. I'll just grab my light lure rod and box of bits and wander off nailing plenty of perch.
On canals and small lakes I use paddle tail shads and worm imitations with swim tails on 5 gram jig heads.
You yourself make the lure come alive so don't think there isn't any skill in it! When those perch hit the lures though it's often savage and great fun on light tackle.
Search out 'drop shotting' and 'light lure fishing' on YouTube and things will become clearer.
Savage gear and fox rage are both great brands that work well for our UK style of perch fishing.

steve2

Reaction score
Never heard of AGM lures till I read it here looks an excellent site.
Most of my spinners have be bought cheap and second hand off Ebay

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Never heard of AGM lures till I read it here looks an excellent site.
Most of my spinners have be bought cheap and second hand off Ebay

It's a slippery slope....you'll end up with thousands of lures soon and be afflicted by an addiction to buying more...

buick_toni

Reaction score
It's a slippery slope....you'll end up with thousands of lures soon and be afflicted by an addiction to buying more...

That's a weird thing, as I myself have the same symptom. There's always a lure you just HAVE to get (good color, don't have that lure, seen someone use that...). There's infinite number of reasons you come up to convince yourself bying new gear, even if you'd just said you got everything you need a minute back. And still I know I mostly use maybe 20% of all the lures I have.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
if you get nothing else, go to your local tackle shop and get a "colarado beetle" 2 or 3 inch, its a silver spoon (with ears) type lure that spins around a weighted spine and has red wool around the hook, for light fishing ive found it to be a killer, ive taken pike from 2 to over 20lb on the beetle, it wobbles and spins at the same time and seems to get very positive chases/bites, its an older lure design but still sold

gaznotts53

Reaction score
I like the sound of that Colorado beetle lure, I would say never underestimate a good spinner. just bought a new small spinning rod today for the use on local canals. I used to be completely addicted to lure fishing doing little else, and had lord knows how many lures. Most worked on their day although we all seem to have our favourites. as I said though a good spinner, Mepps are very good take some beating, especially on the canals. I'm going to do a bit tomorrow around Notts. there is little comparison in coarse fishing that beats the rush from seeing a fish (usually Pike) attacking your lure. by the way are you using braid? no substitute for lure fishing.