Fingers crossed

wardalan1987

Reaction score
So finally got a long day pass for fishing off the Mrs for tomorrow!!

Going to be spending my day on a stretch of the Trent looking to catch my first pike with the new lure set up. Also my first pike ever let alone on a lure.

Really looking forward to it, anyone fish here and have any tips? Fingers crossed I will have photos to post tomorrow night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
You don't say what your lure set up is based around mate, ie rod, lures etc. I assume your gear will be a spinning rod and the smaller spinners and plugs plus the necessary unhooking gear. Or even which parts of the Trent you'll be fishing.

However there are plenty of Pike around,but having said that it pays to remember that they are not spread through the water like currants in a cake. On the right day covering plenty of water should result in a few fish.

I trust you will have familiarised yourself with unhooking procedures, it's only by doing that you can enjoy your first sortie, and protect your quarry and yourself.

Given all the above, good luck and let us know how your day went. If you require more details feel free to PM me.

ken more

Reaction score
Good luck whatever you do mate, and i hope you catch one.:)

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Well I ended up fishing the gunthorpe stretch of the Trent. Makes sense as its local and I'm a member of the Notts aa (fished off the east bridgeford bank), Above and below the weir.

I wouldn't really call it a success however it's not a horrendous day either. I ended up getting 4 perch that I was amazed how they managed to get the full treble in their mouth, this made it rather awkward to unhook to say the least!! Then ended up with one small pike probably around 1.5lb.

I'm not really disheartened at all it's a huge learning process I'm glad if anything to see some progress.

I covered a lot of water so possibly more luck than judgment, focused on ensuring I covered fishy areas or at least what seemed fishy to me, for example fallen trees, still water that was created from floods cutting the bank away, weed beds, back waters and then around the bridge itself.

Something I would like to ask is many of my lures have a trebble hanging in the middle and one at the rear, in most instances perch would hit the hooks in the middle and then on its way in the rear hook would find its was into the fishes body or worse its head. Is that a common issue or am I doing something wrong? Obviously I want to case as little harm to the fish as possible. I can't imagine a hook to the head can be good for them!

soft plastic

Reaction score
Either replace the trebles with singles or remove a set completely. Alternatively, cut off one one of the hooks on each set with wire cutters. Far easier to unhook a double hook than a treble. It may be necessary to add weight to keep the lure running/working properly if a set of trebles are removed. I hate treble hooks on small lures. Very fish unfriendly!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I will give the trimming off a go and see how that works out.