Return to predator fishing

gaznotts53

Reaction score
hi all newbie to this site. I am just returning to pike fishing well predator fishing as like fishing for the biggest fish of all (Perch) and hopefully get a Zander at some point. Used to mainly lure fish Grantham Canal, river Glen at Spalding. getting back into fishing generally but want to really get back into piking this winter. has anyone got any tips on venues? i'm thinking of giving West lake at Colwick a go as it is right on my doorstep. I don't mind travelling and I'm also thinking of giving A1 pits a go and maybe a return to the river Glen and the surrounding area. Also I would love to go up Scotland for a night or two if anyone fancies car and petrol sharing.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Hi Gaz welcome, I'm a relative noob here too if I'm honest. Were you looking at starting lure fishing again or are you leaning more towards dead/live bait option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

Hi Gaz,

Welcome to FM mate.

I've got a few old pike haunts which I can pm you about, whether or not they have in the meantime been subject to EE's poaching I'm not too sure.

You will get zander practically anywhere along the middle and lower Trent as well as the Trent & Mersey and connecting canals such as the Coventry, which is well within striking distance at its nearest point at Fradley Junction, I'm not sure about their proliferation into the upper Trent river although I would be very surprised if they're not there in numbers given the proximity to other nearby waterways which hold them.

Either way, good luck with it and I hope you stick around to let us know how it's going :)

gaznotts53

Reaction score
yeah please feel free to pm any tips on new places always enjoy a new challenge. I know Nevillie Fickling has targeted the Z's on the trent. I think the closest I have been was way way back outside city ground night fishing late 70s, wound in a feeder to find a shredded gudgeon! I will hopefully post any success and failures.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Cheers mate,
well used to exclusive lure fish for quite a while and loved it so I'm sure I will get sucked back in at some point especially with all this new lures, some of them look amazing (bloody expensive too) saw a very life like roach for about £14 today! but at the minute I have no lure stuff so going to start on the deadbaits, but like I said don't think it will be long before the lure (pardon the pun) gets me back on it.

naxian62

Reaction score
Would love to do one or two nights up Scotland with the petrol sharing thing. BUT, I'm down in Devon!!

gaznotts53

Reaction score
Naxian yeah Devon is a long round trip lol do u have transport of any kind?