A1 pits Newark

gaznotts53

Reaction score
Hi all,
has anyone fished the A1 pits in Newark for predators? if so any advice or tips ?
might have go this winter.

flightliner

Reaction score
Fished it for pike when it first flooded in the winter of '78 and a couple of times the following year. Had a few small fish, nothing big in those days.
One surprise was a big brown trout from pit 5 to a well respected notts carp angler.

B

binka

I was told that they're a rough place to fish these days, Mick. Any substance to that rumour?

There was a well publicised incident a few years ago Rob where a lad had all his gear nicked during a night session, I can't say I've heard anything bad about them of late.

chrissh

Reaction score
Fished 4 times last season for pike not one fish to be had ... it was like a caravan site with the carpers tuning with their caravans and generators.... go that bit further to Frisby Lakes, Hoby Rd, Ashfordby, Leicestershire. LE14 3TL

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Rob, all I have heard is pretty much the same as Binka.I think the entrance is locked at night now so less probs as its a fair walk from level crossing entrance up to pit six.
Fished it loads up to about six years ago and never had a prob myself.
It was great back in the early days tho.
loads of carp from a flooded Trent and no one ever bothered you, spent some happy hours on them with a few well known carp anglers before the word got out.

robtherake

Reaction score
Been thinking about mooring the camper there for a few days, Mick. How far's the village? It'd be handy if there was a bus route nearby so I could pack 'er indoors off to the shops during the day.:D

flightliner

Reaction score
Rob, out of the main entrance, turn left over the level crossing and Muskham village is two or three minutes tops.
From there I,m sure there will be bus service into Newark only a mile or so.
I rate Newark equelly with York for an interesting walkabout-- good river trips from the castle also---
There's a baillif onsite on the pits to, he should be able to tell you all you want to know---- a good venue to try for a bb or two also.

B

binka

Agree entirely with flight about Newark, a very nice town.

Might be worth looking up Smeatons too Rob, a stone's throw from the pits with both lake and some limited river fishing along the course of the "old" Trent... They do have a website.

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks, gents. I'd imagine it'll be next year now unless there's an Indian summer coming up - the wife's a fair weather traveller - so I'll pencil both places in for future attention.:)

mikench

Reaction score
Indian summer! I hope so Rob. It was 25c yesterday and sunny on our terrasse. Today it is wet and barely 14c. Wish I had stayed, however the new rod just delivered has compensated somewhat!!;)

Tight lines!

B

binka

Thanks, gents. I'd imagine it'll be next year now unless there's an Indian summer coming up - the wife's a fair weather traveller - so I'll pencil both places in for future attention.:)

Tip me the wink when you do Rob and i'll arrange a bit of nice river fishing for us ;)