Perch on prawns

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Thinking Sunday giving it a go at fishing for perch using prawns, Any tips please? Not used prawns before. techniques and if i have to cook them??

Thanks in advance :)

robtherake

Reaction score
My preference when floatfishing prawns (stillwater) is to keep a light but constant fall of maggots going in to attract the tiddlers and to fish just off the feed area. Feed too heavily and the carp can move in. You'll probably catch a few anyway if they're in there so it can be a mistake to fish too light - a 5 or 6lb hooklength seems about right.

Cooked or raw prawns both catch fish, but fresh ones have a tougher consistency and stay on the hook far better than frozen.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
hammer

Beware of the unwanted carp and Tench when fishing with Prawns for Perch, they can be real swim destroyers at times.

Bob

B

binka

Despite my best ever perch falling to a prawn it's not a bait I've had great success with.

I've read endless articles, some prefer cooked where others prefer raw, some won't use pre-frozen due to a solution that they are coated with prior to freezing, some use king prawns where others swear by the small ones.

Personally I don't think it matters that much, but then that could be the reason I've never done consistently well with them :)

Venue specific maybe?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm of the same opinion as Binks, prawns can be very effective for perch on a given day and be ignored on others. As most fish seem to like prawns, if I'm specifically targeting perch, I prefer to use 'jumbos' and dunk them in predator plus (being careful not to get the stuff on my hands as it's a bu99er to get off).

Personally, if after decent perch, I'd prefer to use lobs or lives/lures..............

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Cheers all, Commercial lake no carp so suppose I will float a fat juicy prawn near the Lilly pads and hope for the best and keep throwing small pinch maggots over the top.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my short time pursuing the stripeys I've found that prawns work on some waters and other waters hardly at all. I fished Stream Valley last year, home of the current record Perch and nearly all the experienced anglers use nothing but prawns over a bed of maggots. My local lake where I've had three 3lb plus perch is a water Ive never caught on prawns, plenty of sturgeon though!