Perch Tactic's

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As suggested by John.

Mine are pretty simple, I use a popped up Lives on a free running Dyson rig if I can catch the lives, my favourite are Gudgeon.

If they are hard to come by I use Lobworms, just legered on the bottom, if I'm fishing deep water, I like to use a Float paternoster rig for my livebait.

Bob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the novices amongst us could you expand a bit Bob, "popped up lives" and "Dyson" rig?

B

binka

This is a good illustration of the Dyson Rig and how it would also work to "pop up" a livebait...

sagalout

Reaction score
That's one strange looking Perch! Where are you fishing Windscale cooling pond?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I get popping up a lob but a live bait?

john step

Reaction score
I get popping up a lob but a live bait?

Keeps it up off the bottom and visible. I prefer rudd for this purpose as they tend to try to rise up.
However I must say that I pick up plenty of perch on the bottom.

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

This is a good illustration of the Dyson Rig and how it would also work to "pop up" a livebait...

[UR[/IMG][/URL]

The picture of an eel got me thinking. Is this not the same as the John Sidley eel set up? Anyone remember?

B

binka

I must say that I pick up plenty of perch on the bottom

Me too John, and I've found that it tends to deter the unwanted attentions of pike to a certain degree.

I usually use a float paternoster to set my livebait at a given depth and usually it's within eighteen inches of the bottom, any lower and i'll leger or preferably float-leger instead.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Think I've got it now, "popped up" I automatically think of injecting air as we do with worms, and I guess you could with dead bait possibly. I've never been sure how far off the bottom to set a live rig, normally about a foot in 8ft of water.

bony tony

Reaction score
As suggested by John.

Mine are pretty simple, I use a popped up Lives on a free running Dyson rig if I can catch the lives, my favourite are Gudgeon.

If they are hard to come by I use Lobworms, just legered on the bottom, if I'm fishing deep water, I like to use a Float paternoster rig for my livebait.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Sounds as if you struggle some times like I do to catch suitable live baits.
However I can usually catch quite a few minnows but wasn't that keen on using them as have heard reports that small perch get to them before the big ones. Just wondered if putting 2 or three of them on the hook could be a bit more selective. Would appreciate any advice you have about this.

Well done on your new PB

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Sounds as if you struggle some times like I do to catch suitable live baits.
However I can usually catch quite a few minnows but wasn't that keen on using them as have heard reports that small perch get to them before the big ones. Just wondered if putting 2 or three of them on the hook could be a bit more selective. Would appreciate any advice you have about this.

Well done on your new PB

241.JPG

View image in gallery

This Perch was caught on a single hook with two very small Chublets facing each other on the hook and a small piece of elastic band holding them in place.

They were fished on a float paternoster rig, the float a Large Drennan Chubber, the lead was 1ozs, so the float had to be set accurately.

Bob

Last edited:

bony tony

Reaction score
Thanks Bob

Will give the two minnow plan a try at weekend. Just finished making my

Minnow trap made from two pop bottles so really looking forward to my next trip.

shane99

Reaction score
As suggested by John.

Bob

Hi Bob, interested to know (if ok) what bite detection do you use for the ledgered Lobs ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I use simple hangers, if it's very cold I use a float for delicate bites.

Bob

jimlad

Reaction score
I'm reading this post with interest. I've failed miserably to catch any good sized perch, despite my local rivers holding them. Need to try sort that out in the next couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertroach

Reaction score
I have been having a good run with perch in the last 2 or 3 months fishing a couple of small lakes. In one of them it has been difficult to catch any livebaits small enough so I have resorted to big lobworms instead. This has been a revelation and I have had probably 20 or so over 2lbs, and the biggest 2lbs 9oz. I keep trying for a 3 pounder but no luck yet. I have never actually had a 2 pounder before so that has been about 20 PB's!

Both lakes are quite shallow so my tactics are really simple - 2 rods fished each with a perch bobber type of float with just one swan shot and 4lb line straight through to a size 6 circle hook. The perch like hanging out in the shelter of weedbeds and any other "structures" so you need to be close to them and the last part of the day, 3.00 to 4.30pm has been the best time. For a livebait, the rig is the same except for a larger float and a gudgeon has been the best bait. The circle hook has prevented any deep hooking.

Good luck.

shane99

Reaction score
I use simple hangers, if it's very cold I use a float for delicate bites.

Bob

The age old question - when do you hit the bite ?

I have always reverted back to float fishing Lobs for Perch as when ledgering them I never seem to get a "def hit it" kind of indication ?

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

I have been having a good run with perch in the last 2 or 3 months fishing a couple of small lakes. In one of them it has been difficult to catch any livebaits small enough so I have resorted to big lobworms instead. This has been a revelation and I have had probably 20 or so over 2lbs, and the biggest 2lbs 9oz. I keep trying for a 3 pounder but no luck yet. I have never actually had a 2 pounder before so that has been about 20 PB's!

Both lakes are quite shallow so my tactics are really simple - 2 rods fished each with a perch bobber type of float with just one swan shot and 4lb line straight through to a size 6 circle hook. The perch like hanging out in the shelter of weedbeds and any other "structures" so you need to be close to them and the last part of the day, 3.00 to 4.30pm has been the best time. For a livebait, the rig is the same except for a larger float and a gudgeon has been the best bait. The circle hook has prevented any deep hooking.

Good luck.

Nice fish RobertRoach or should we call you RobertPerch from now ? :)

What circle hooks do you use ? I have been using the Fox drop shot hooks in 6's which I have found big enough but fine enough for Lobs. From another thread someone recommended Sakuma 440's and after purchasing these look about right but have only had them a week or so so havnt caught anything yet so cant comment if they are any good or not.