oils

cormorant

Reaction score
are winterised oils any good and which are the best for pike.

T

The Piker

Heron my thoughts are oils float,so they do not float my boat..

Winterised oils are said to mix with the water more like emulsion i think.

If you get more confidence from using them,then use them i have in the past.

But now i mostly use the common deads plain and simple..

C

Chris Bishop

I'm sure using oils has caught me more fish over the last few seasons.

Go for ones made of fish like Richworth mackerel oil or some of the excellent flavours ET now sells on his website.

If you buy fresh deads - say from a supermarket fish counter, or wet fish merchant - inject a bit into them before you freeze them.

When they're frozen solid, poke a few holes with a needle around the bit where you jabbed the flavour.

Useful enhancement in coloured water, when pike will be hunting by scent.

Otherwise put a few drops around the gills of a whole bait, or even just brush or dribble it on.

It definitely works for me, boosting the scent trail a bait gives off increases your chance of catching.

Sure, some of it comes off in a big slick when you cast a bait out. But it continues leaking flavour you can't see and pike will often come up off the bottom in coloured water and they have scenting pits underneath their jaws - look at the next one you catch - so trust me, it does work.

I've literally had baits out for ages without a take, added some oil and had a take within minutes of re-casting.

cormorant

Reaction score
cheers mate, e t ? whats his web address, saw some van den eynde fish oil in local tackle shop have you tried it ?.ta.

C

Chris Bishop

Not so taken with the Van Den Eynde, the other ones I'd recommend are Richworth mackerel oil and - believe it or not - a Thai fish sauce you can get in supermarkets called Nam Plas.

You might have more luck with this link to ET - www.eddieturner.co.uk

A mate showed me some of the oils the other week and they're top-notch.