Is this a good combo?

itsraw

Reaction score
This is a combo i found and its going to be my first baitcaster reel, does anyone know if its any good?

I'm wanting to use it for pike fishing with all sorts of lure sizes. (mainly medium sized swimbaits)

Could someone tell me if this would be suitable for big fish and so forth, I'm a noob lol.

Thanks

Combo: Abu Garcia Black Max Combo

mikench

Reaction score
I would have thought so! I have the silvermax baitcaster which i use for sea fishing. I have to admit that i have struggled to gain any consistent fluency with the reel. Just when I think I have cracked it, i forget to feather the spool with my thumb and get a birdsnest. It is very frustrating. If you are going to be using it for relatively short casts then it is easier to control.

I also forget to reset the drag when i change to a heavier lure or plug with the inevitable consequences. I find I have to really concentrate when using it. It is probably me who is incompetent!

In theory these reels are light and look great in expert hands. I tend to then play safe after a few birdsnests and revert to fs reels.

There are lots of vids on youtube!

mikench

Reaction score
I agree M'lud but with a short light rod you can cast one handed easily which you cannot do as easily with a fs reel.

All in all i prefer a fs reel. Baitcasters are really small multipliers and I never got on well with those !

flatsfishing

Reaction score
In short...no, unless you are only going to be using heavy lures (>28g). That rod is rated 15-45g - casting 15g with that reel will be challenging.

Cheap baitcasters are a waste of money. You are likely to spend more time undoing birds nests and tangles than you are fishing.

Spend as much as you can afford on the reel and worst case put it on a cheaper rod.

If you do want to try a baitcaster and it's a budget one, load it with mono first to get used to it before switching to braid - mono is much cheaper if you fluff it up and braid is really difficult to untangle if you get in a mess.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
My first baitcaster reel was the Abu Garcia pro max, yes it's cheap but to be honest it does what you need it to. I prefer the baitcaster set up as opposed to the fixed spool however this is as many things are sheer personal preference.
I jumped in straight for braid and as long as you set your breaking to suit the weight of the lure (check YouTube) you should be fine. Just remember to take baby steps. Don't expect to hit the horizon straight out the box, with practice you will get more comfortable using your thumb to break the spool and will require less breaking and in turn your casts will get longer. Don't forget most of the time you dont need a huge cast most of my fish I have had were in the margin under my toes rather than far out.

Take your rod out for the day put on a lure and just practice casting and presentation of the lure, getting to know your kit is key. Don't worry about the fish that will all come in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk